PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivers waived

Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.

In 3.2.1 someone is going to reply with bust, BB sucks or maybe even somehow blame McDaniels.

Bottom line, I liked the pick where they got him in the draft. Call it a reach, but with his physical talent I’m glad they took the risk so to speak on the athletism. It didn’t(hasn’t) worked out due to injuries or whatever, but I commend taking a shot on someone they and a lot of others thought could be a special player. They’ve done worse with 3rd rounders before.

Last edited:
Rivers showed some promise before the injury, but he never recovered. Absolutely hated the trade down as JuJu Smith-Shuster was in reach in the 2nd round making Rivers their top pick.

With that being said, what an awful draft and ranked the worst by The Athletic. At least they had use of their 1st round pick in Cooks.

Defensive line is being rebuilt before our eyes. Carl Davis, Isaiah Mack, Tashawn Bower, Chase Winovich. Became a numbers game for Rivers, as they needed to make room for Terez Hall.

Today, they also waived Froholdt to make room for Sony Michel.

Soon, they will need to make room for Justin Herron.

The pats played most of this season rotating in JAGs on the edge while barely playing Winovich & having Uche inactive. That changed sunday & the pass rush was rejuvenated. Cutting Rivers paves the way for more snaps for Uche & a more concentrated pass rush trio on the edge:

Simon
Calhoun (IR)
Rivers (cut)
Winovich
Bower

Winovich
Simon
Uche

Now hopefully Uche can continue to progress and make Simon a rotational player.

The pats played most of this season rotating in JAGs on the edge while barely playing Winovich & having Uche inactive. That changed sunday & the pass rush was rejuvenated. Cutting Rivers paves the way for more snaps for Uche & a more concentrated pass rush trio on the edge:

Simon
Calhoun (IR)
Rivers (cut)
Winovich
Bower

Winovich
Simon
Uche

Now hopefully Uche can continue to progress and make Simon a rotational player.
Simon is awful and ranked as the worst at his position via PFF. More often than not, he looks like he's just standing around during plays. He's the most ineffective front seven player I've seen since 2008 Vrabel.

Rotation should be: Winovich, Uche and Jennings.

Last edited:
Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.

In 3.2.1 someone is going to reply with bust, BB sucks or maybe even somehow blame McDaniels.

Bottom line, I liked the pick where they got him in the draft. Call it a reach, but with his physical talent I’m glad they took the risk so to speak on the athletism. It didn’t(hasn’t) worked out due to injuries or whatever, but I commend taking a shot on someone they and a lot of others thought could be a special player. They’ve done worse with 3rd rounders before.
Good post.

You can't win if you don't play (regarding picking players/taking a chance. Can't hit the lottery if you don't buy a ticket). Almost 60 TFL & 40 Sacks and a combine that compares to Von Miller, Cliff Avril, Ware, Beasley, Barwin, A Barr. Screenshot_2020-11-21-14-23-40.png

What hurts is that Godwin went after Rivers and Hunt, Golladay, John Johnson, Jonnu Smith, James Conner after Garcia. Kamara & Kupp were before Rivers.

So many could've, would've there. Our WR corp would be legit with 2 of Golladay, Kupp, Godwin. Cheap RB in Conners. Very good S in Johnson or had Smith to complement Gronk in his last few years.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back