PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Jo Jo White

Yea he had brain cancer.

Terrible news.

RaiP

Rip. Really enjoyed watching him play. Seems they got lost between the Russell and Bird Eras, but those Cowens/Silas/Hondo/JoJo/Charlie Scott /Chaney teams were very good and a lot of fun to watch.
The triple ot thriller vs. westphal and the sun's was one of the all-time great NBA games.

Rip. Really enjoyed watching him play. Seems they got lost between the Russell and Bird Eras, but those Cowens/Silas/Hondo/JoJo/Charlie Scott /Chaney teams were very good and a lot of fun to watch.
The triple ot thriller vs. westphal and the sun's was one of the all-time great NBA games.

jo-jo-white-prokeds-20140324.png

I can't find it, but that Keds ad with Jo's entire body going through the hoop is wild

And how many fan bases would kill for just one of those Eras?

His game was so stylish, and he had the best jump shot off the break I ever saw - he could stop on a dime and go straight and "bang" - I can hear Johnny Most now. RIP JoJo, easily one of my favorite Celtics of all time.

I remember him like it was yesterday. triple o.t. vs the suns at the old garden. he was a great player. rip.
I remember that triple OT game! Next day at church I bragged that I got to stay up late to see the whole game. He exuded a certain class and grace in his play. Brings back memories.

Rest in peace JoJo White ... beloved by many.

The series between the Knicks and Celts in 1973, won by the Knicks in 7, was about the most intense series ever. Hondo dislocated his shoulder on a dirty pick in game 2 or 3, and played the rest of the series with 1 arm. Jo Jo carried the load and was brilliant. He logged so many minutes and still had the legs to hit long clutch jumpers on the road in NY. Never so proud of a Celtic as I was of him during that series, I had misjudged him as being a little soft, but he showed he was made of iron. I've seen comments from Knicks fans tonight about how great he was going up against Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe, how much they admired his game and class.

Bitter to lose that series, we were the better team but Havlicek's injury, plus the refs stealing a game in broad daylight at MSG, were too much to overcome against an equally great Knicks team that also won 2 titles in a 3 or 4 year span. JoJo, Hondo, Cowens, Tommy & company won it all the following year and 2 years after that. They should have had 3 rings like the 80's team. They were a fast end to end team, Tommy was a great coach. The Finals series the following year in 1974 against Kareem's Bucks was an all-time great one too, winning G7 on the road after losing G6 in 2 OT's at the old Garden when Jabbar hit a crazy 15' running hook at the buzzer.

Last edited:
I was never really into sports when I was younger.

I was so involved in my "music career":oops:...Yea, that went well..:p..

Anyway, in my mid 20's I met a young, beautiful , New England girl, who had the misfortune to wander down to the Joisey Shua (NJ).

Her family turned me onto Boston sports.
I fell in love with the area, along with her.
New England rules!

I was never a B-Ball fan.

But, who couldn't help but hear mention of the greats:. Bird, Pierce, Garrnett... and of course Jo J0. RIP.

I am, however a Patriots Homer.
They sucked me in, and I was hooked.
I've been blessed with the best run in sports history.

I get lucky like that a lot. It's gotta be my guardian angel.

Yes, so you all owe the success to me!:rolleyes:

A real "iron man" he played 488 consecutive games at one point, and won two NBA championships; 73-74 & 75-76.

Jo Jo and I are the same age, hate when guys like this die as my mortality is more obvious..

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back