PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is there chaos with the Celtics..is Brown the problem?

BTW. Negotiation for the Jaylen Brown contract has been put on hold as he has gone to Europe on NBA business. The negotiation will resume when he returns, so they say.

I guess when you are Jaylen Brown and you have an agent and there is a phone and the world has the Internet, that is not enough to conclude the highest paying contract in the history of the NBA.

After 5 seasons together, Tatum and Brown can't seem to be able to deliver a championship for the Celtics. So now the team will develop another strategy, add and delete players, to try to accomplish this task.

I will be surprised if the CELTICS win the NBA Championship this season. Just my thoughts. I hope I can revisit this thought this time next season.

Go Celtics

As a follow-up, it was said on Friday, 7/14/23, that Mazzulla wants "to change the successful strategy of the Celtics" to play strong defense and then offense to win past championships. Stevens is going along with him and his ideas by getting more offense and less defense with his off-season additions and deletions of players. Sam Cassell says he is going to support Mazzulla's strategy rather than try to change him and his ideas. I am a long time Bruins NHL hockey fan, the Stanley Cup is won with defense first for many years I am a long-time Celtic fan and watch championships won using defense first. So I guess I must change or just follow them while finding a team that believed in a strong defense first. OH then there are my 63 years as a Patriots fan and Bill Belichick's Super Bowl championships won with the defense before offense. I am just old and tough to change. Have a nice day.
I firmly believe Cassell was added not only to strengthen Muzzullas coaching staff, But as insurance in case the season goes south and players don't respond to his coaching.
It's hard for me to say they didn't commit to defense as they finished 4th in defense.

Now I do feel defense has to be the priority and that leads to good offense. That's how Denver won!

After 5 seasons together, Tatum and Brown can't seem to be able to deliver a championship for the Celtics. So now the team will develop another strategy, add and delete players, to try to accomplish this task.

I will be surprised if the CELTICS win the NBA Championship this season. Just my thoughts. I hope I can revisit this thought this time next season.

Go Celtics
Thier window was last season and this season. The road was paved for this this season. They self destructed.

I believe they will be elite, but don't think they will a championship either.

If kobe's idol really played with his mentality then I'd feel alot differently..

As a follow-up, it was said on Friday, 7/14/23, that Mazzulla wants "to change the successful strategy of the Celtics" to play strong defense and then offense to win past championships. Stevens is going along with him and his ideas by getting more offense and less defense with his off-season additions and deletions of players. Sam Cassell says he is going to support Mazzulla's strategy rather than try to change him and his ideas. I am a long time Bruins NHL hockey fan, the Stanley Cup is won with defense first for many years I am a long-time Celtic fan and watch championships won using defense first. So I guess I must change or just follow them while finding a team that believed in a strong defense first. OH then there are my 63 years as a Patriots fan and Bill Belichick's Super Bowl championships won with the defense before offense. I am just old and tough to change. Have a nice day.
Offense gets you there but D wins titles. No question.

Especially hockey.

I'm not going to say we shouldn't give Brown the Max. But I haven't been high on him ever since that Cavs game 7 where he decided to just take the ball every possession and miss threes the whole game.

I'm not going to say we shouldn't give Brown the Max. But I haven't been high on him ever since that Cavs game 7 where he decided to just take the ball every possession and miss threes the whole game.

He’s grown as a player. Now he dribbles off his feet to rack up turnovers along with missing a ton of selfish, forced up shots.

Brown and the Celtics ... a marriage of convenience.
I do think the Celtics will absolutely trade him if we do not get to the finals.
... and the Brown people know it .. so both sides in the trench ... negotiating a prenup.

It's funny about Brown...at end of regular season( during which he played well), most of us were hoping he'd make all-nba since it'd qualify him for the supermax and mean the C's had the best shot at signing him.....then the playoffs happened.
He became a turnover machine. I used to love when he drove instead of settling for an outside shot- he was a strong finisher. But it got so bad I cringed when he tried to drive.
It seems 2 things happened: 1. Playoff opponents decided to play much tougher defense on him and he just didn't adjust
2. Seemed like he got a little full of himself after making all nba 2nd team. He thought he was Tatum's equal. He's not,never has been never will be.
So what he did was basically screw himself out of the supermax, not to mention severely hurting his teammates' chances of winning a title. His ego got in the way. It was sad to watch him the last several games- he had that deer in the headlights look- lost confused,helpless.
The dude has talent and can be a damn good player. But he needs to take an unfiltered look in the mirror at what his strengths and weaknesses are. Will he? I don't really know. Playoff JB was a detriment to the team.

It's funny about Brown...at end of regular season( during which he played well), most of us were hoping he'd make all-nba since it'd qualify him for the supermax and mean the C's had the best shot at signing him.....then the playoffs happened.
He became a turnover machine. I used to love when he drove instead of settling for an outside shot- he was a strong finisher. But it got so bad I cringed when he tried to drive.
It seems 2 things happened: 1. Playoff opponents decided to play much tougher defense on him and he just didn't adjust
2. Seemed like he got a little full of himself after making all nba 2nd team. He thought he was Tatum's equal. He's not,never has been never will be.
So what he did was basically screw himself out of the supermax, not to mention severely hurting his teammates' chances of winning a title. His ego got in the way. It was sad to watch him the last several games- he had that deer in the headlights look- lost confused,helpless.
The dude has talent and can be a damn good player. But he needs to take an unfiltered look in the mirror at what his strengths and weaknesses are. Will he? I don't really know. Playoff JB was a detriment to the team.
He was horrible vs MIA. Bad shot selection. Terrible ball handling. Average defense. Putrid.

He is not deserving of a supermax deal.

He was horrible vs MIA. Bad shot selection. Terrible ball handling. Average defense. Putrid.

He is not deserving of a supermax deal.
Don't think he's gonna get one now. Stevens needs to offer him a contract commensurate with his play. You can't just base it on his terrible playoffs. You still gotta factor that he played well most of season. But no supermax. Make him a solid offer than can become much better by reaching incentives. Drastic reduction in turnovers. Much improved defense- which he has played before so we know he's capable. His defensive rating should be tied to incentives.

Don't think he's gonna get one now. Stevens needs to offer him a contract commensurate with his play. You can't just base it on his terrible playoffs. You still gotta factor that he played well most of season. But no supermax. Make him a solid offer than can become much better by reaching incentives. Drastic reduction in turnovers. Much improved defense- which he has played before so we know he's capable. His defensive rating should be tied to incentives.
...plus make the contract "trade-able"

Brown is a good player (let's not forget, he was probably our Finals MVP in 2021/2022) it's just he isn't someone you tie yourself to with a supermax contract.

he is barely interested in playing in Boston as it is, so he definitely will not be interested without a supermax

he is barely interested in playing in Boston as it is, so he definitely will not be interested without a supermax
I agree completely. He is ambivalent towards playing here.

If Brown thinks the financials don't "make it justifiable" playing here...he'll want out.

Absolutely agreed. Brown would rather play for the Hawks where he would be the Star, hometown boy and I think he believes he will be away from racism. It is only the Superman that keeps him here, he knows he has the money, he wants more control IMO.

I firmly believe Cassell was added not only to strengthen Muzzullas coaching staff, But as insurance in case the season goes south and players don't respond to his coaching.
It's hard for me to say they didn't commit to defense as they finished 4th in defense.

Now I do feel defense has to be the priority and that leads to good offense. That's how Denver won!
They will be going away from defense and go with more offense per Mazzulla. Stevens is supporting him. Cassell said he won't try and change Mazzulla's strategy.

They will be going away from defense and go with more offense per Mazzulla. Stevens is supporting him. Cassell said he won't try and change Mazzulla's strategy.
Well.. that strategy is fine during the regular season.. as we've seen unfortunately that formula does not work in the post season. Denver got thier offense from thier excellent defense. It has to be a mindset.. with 2 all NBA players defense is secondary it's the I've gotta get mines mentality..

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back