PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ringer Article: Will Bill Belichick’s Big Coaching Gamble Backfire?

Cole Strange, Tyquan R., Roberts, Jack and Marcus Jones got a D?

I’m just messaging how one outsider viewed our draft thus far.

Time is the real test of how well this draft class was.

The Pats coaching staff has always been "Pats centric". Not sure why that is a negative. The Krafts are a family business and loyal to their employees so most employees stick around or return. Dante Scarnecchia was with the Pats for 20+ years with little outside experience. Does that mean he is limited in his ability to coach?

The truth is I didn't really understand your other points. The Pats have always had the same guys. Noone seemed upset when Josh failed as the Denver head coach and returned. So I did not understand your point. So that is why I assumed it was BS while getting to your nepotism final point.
I don't have a point, other than raising a discussion... about the patriots coaching staff.... on a patriots board....

But back to your arguments, I don't think this staff is similar to back then... The logic behind is still the same, i think, but this 20 years in the future ever since BB became HC.

He does not have Scar, Fears and others... In fact, they have one of the least experienced coaching staff in the whole league (in the patriots site they add to their "coaching experience" the years some guys were playing. I don't know why, but this tickles me the wrong way, too). You mention specifically Scar, but a quick search shows he worked with the Colts and with 3 other HC here, before BB, so that is more experience outside BB's world than ALL our guys have had, before joining him.

Today, the coaching carroussel moves fast. I mean, just look at what the McD move caused... When Flores left, the last few years. Are you sure we live in a NFL where you can groom your coaching staff for years and years? I look at the reality and think: IF one our coaches does even half a good job, they will leave for something better (and it's fine too, personal decisions and all), so this loyalty seems to be one-sided nowadays. Also, just to point that I personally think putting Patricia and Judge at he helm (sort of) of the offense is not the same as McD coming back for the Offense, for obvious reasons

Like, I bring this all up, because, today, from what I see around the NFL, the Patriots are operating outside of the curve, with conscience. All my points, they aren't negative per se, but you put them all together.... Well, the reality is that I am bit worried.

The Patriots organogram is crazy, to me. It almost comes from a Sucession spin-off (joke, don't kill me). In the outside world, I would look at this enterprise and... not think good things. I support the Patriots, so Im stunlocked with having faith, but what I SEE... It creates doubts. And I don't have another place to talk football other than here, especially at a even marginally superior level, so this isn't me trying to "win" or "troll". Im just here for a discussion...

Last edited:
Last year the coaching was not good. Delay of game calls, too many men on the field, and poor special teams.

This year has yet to restore confidence. But that is why they play the games.

The entitled feel he is taking their team and robbing them of the right to have Adam Gaze come in and create a bottom 5 offense for us.

You’re mocking Adam Gase, a guy with a disability who BB reportedly respects? Wasn’t he a good OC in Denver?

I find the article is right as to who Belichick has surrounded himself with. People he likes. But I think Belichick has decided that having people he likes around him LEADS TO SUCCESS. His priority...winning...remains unchanged, but I think he believes that the way to do it is to be working with coaches he trusts to do what he thinks will lead to victory.

Familiarity = success. The two are tied, not separate as the article implies.

Our 2019 draft got a A and we know how it turned out . So if draft grades are consistent with how they perform on the field, I am happy we got a D this time.

You’re mocking Adam Gase, a guy with a disability who BB reportedly respects? Wasn’t he a good OC in Denver?
No. He had the title while Manning ran his own offense.
Gaze has been bad everywhere else he has been.
Disability? Wtf is that?

I think this is the part (of the article, not your post) that I have a problem with. It tells me the angle the writer is coming from, which is that Belichick doesn't care about winning anymore. If he thought Patricia, Judge, and his kids gave him a worse chance to win, he wouldn't have them in the roles they're in. I legitimately think he believes that, compared to the other options for THIS season, that this is what's best for the team. It's certainly debatable whether he's wrong or not, but this idea that he's more concerned with hanging out with his kids and buddies than he is about winning just doesn't feel right to me.

FWIW, BB didn't cut Steve any slack or give him a shortcut. Steve had to cut his teeth for many years breaking down film, and putting together cutups for the defensive groups, every week.

He started in 2012.

Ten years ago.

No. He had the title while Manning ran his own offense.
Gaze has been bad everywhere else he has been.
Disability? Wtf is that?
He failed as a head coach, but he was known as a pretty good OC, or so I thought.

You called him Adam “Gaze” suggesting that you’re mocking his eye movement. Pretty obvious he has a disability, like some form of Tourette’s. Maybe it was unintended, as that isn’t really your style.

He failed as a head coach, but he was known as a pretty good OC, or so I thought.

You called him Adam “Gaze” suggesting that you’re mocking his eye movement. Pretty obvious he has a disability, like some form of Tourette’s. Maybe it was unintended, as that isn’t really your style.
No he was never a good coordinator, although he did have that reputation among some. The facts show that isn’t the case. He also ran the offense in those failed HC jobs.

Spelling his name that way was inadvertent and I am not aware of any disability he has.

I don't have a point, other than raising a discussion... about the patriots coaching staff.... on a patriots board....

But back to your arguments, I don't think this staff is similar to back then... The logic behind is still the same, i think, but this 20 years in the future ever since BB became HC.

He does not have Scar, Fears and others... In fact, they have one of the least experienced coaching staff in the whole league (in the patriots site they add to their "coaching experience" the years some guys were playing. I don't know why, but this tickles me the wrong way, too). You mention specifically Scar, but a quick search shows he worked with the Colts and with 3 other HC here, before BB, so that is more experience outside BB's world than ALL our guys have had, before joining him.

Today, the coaching carroussel moves fast. I mean, just look at what the McD move caused... When Flores left, the last few years. Are you sure we live in a NFL where you can groom your coaching staff for years and years? I look at the reality and think: IF one our coaches does even half a good job, they will leave for something better (and it's fine too, personal decisions and all), so this loyalty seems to be one-sided nowadays. Also, just to point that I personally think putting Patricia and Judge at he helm (sort of) of the offense is not the same as McD coming back for the Offense, for obvious reasons

Like, I bring this all up, because, today, from what I see around the NFL, the Patriots are operating outside of the curve, with conscience. All my points, they aren't negative per se, but you put them all together.... Well, the reality is that I am bit worried.

The Patriots organogram is crazy, to me. It almost comes from a Sucession spin-off (joke, don't kill me). In the outside world, I would look at this enterprise and... not think good things. I support the Patriots, so Im stunlocked with having faith, but what I SEE... It creates doubts. And I don't have another place to talk football other than here, especially at a even marginally superior level, so this isn't me trying to "win" or "troll". Im just here for a discussion...

I am probably the wrong person to discuss this with because I think "coaching synergy" is more important than "coaching diversity" at this point. For example, I believe that Brady took over the Bucs offense half way through his first year there (I do not want to debate Tom versus Bill) and was successful. In his 2nd year I believe there was a lot of tension with Arians that did not end well (plus a lot of injuries). So in the 3rd year, Arians has moved on because there was not a lot of "synergy" between Tom and him, although Arians adds a ton of "coaching diversity". IMO the coaching team has to have a plan and follow that plan in unison. If at the end of the season the plan did not work out well, the plan can be adjusted or the head coach can be replaced. I think lots of ideas and coaching diversity is important in January to March when the upcoming coaching approach and plan is discussed (before FA and the draft), but by training camp coaching diversity is not nearly as important as coaching synergy IMO.

Strange is going to be a m'eh pick.

A good guard for a really high premium.

I have to say I am already totally impressed by Jack Jones and Tyquan R.

I still want to see what Marcus gives us.

Roberts seems like a late round find.

The problem with Strange is that we had bigger needs. I wanted Elam or D Lloyd.

Problem is that both of these guys had an underwhelming camp and are in the back of the depth chart. That's OK for rookies, but really you want to see a bit more from both of them.

In retrospect, a trade-up for Penning or Cross at tackle may have been best for us. Penning went higher though than people imagined.

I did some searching on how the picks in the 20s have done in camps, and no one has set the world on fire. Karlaftis is going to see spot duty. Elam is behind 7th rounders. Lloyd injured his hammy then came back and played with 3rd stringers in the second half.

Only Quay Walker of all those in the 20s has seemed to lock down a starting spot. Of course, Strange as well.

Seems to me Patricia's 'bend 'n break' defensive philosophy now applies to his OL management

#PrayForMac

I am probably the wrong person to discuss this with because I think "coaching synergy" is more important than "coaching diversity" at this point. For example, I believe that Brady took over the Bucs offense half way through his first year there (I do not want to debate Tom versus Bill) and was successful. In his 2nd year I believe there was a lot of tension with Arians that did not end well (plus a lot of injuries). So in the 3rd year, Arians has moved on because there was not a lot of "synergy" between Tom and him, although Arians adds a ton of "coaching diversity". IMO the coaching team has to have a plan and follow that plan in unison. If at the end of the season the plan did not work out well, the plan can be adjusted or the head coach can be replaced. I think lots of ideas and coaching diversity is important in January to March when the upcoming coaching approach and plan is discussed (before FA and the draft), but by training camp coaching diversity is not nearly as important as coaching synergy IMO.
But as Nunchuks pointed out, last year we had a lot of basic hiccups for coaching, so the synergy wasn't great, although I understand your vision.

We go on for this season. At least there is no doubt about the captain, which is good a thing

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back