PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Rhamondre Stevenson

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tough, one cut finisher type. Classic big back for Bill. Definitely has the finish mentality you want in the 4th quarter, last 4 mins.

At times he'll be too much of hurry for contact. Patience behind the los could be worked on some. It's not bad but that's where he'll make his $ and could be maximized a little more. Its better once he hits the second level but can get stuck in traffic up close at times. Stretch stuff needs a little clean up but he can run in most system simply bc of his balance and toughness.

Bruiser that wants contact but doesn't have 5000 carries coming into the league. Does a nice job with subtle cuts, stop/start, stiff arm to avoid tackles. If you're not going low you're on the ground. He'll lower his shoulder and give you nothing but his upper body to hit which works out for him. Again nice job at giving up as little as possible to touch. Lots falling forward, tough yac. Teams are going to be hurting between Harris & Stevenson (if he works out) for 4 quarters. Big, tough, mean backs that want contact. Two big backs!

Enough speed for chunks. Won't run away from anyone but more than enough burst and short speed. Remember once he gets going it's not fun or easy to get him down. Good lateral ability. Decent COD, nice little spin move at times.

++ contact balance. He'll carry a LB for yards, drag a DB 10 yards. Hes a guy that will require wrapping up and multiple tacklers most times, esp once he hits space.

Soft hands, r/r was simple and basic but he was running angle routes and other stuff at the SR Bowl. Lots of potential there. Please don't shy away from it Josh, he can do it.

Decent in pass pro but needs more urgency. Too hesitant at times. This wasn't something he did a lot in college. Decent but needs to get better covering up and hitting the A/B gaps.

Strong back with 3 down upside, short yardage potential and could be a big-time finisher. Improve his patience and ability to set his blocks on the line. Keep his weight in check, he was 240 at times and he'll fit right in here. Suspended in 2019 for pot-carried over to 2020.

I had a 4th on him so like the value and not really surprised by a RB. That room is hanging on by a thread, he's needed. Him & Harris are similar but also a little different. Again two really big backs that most defenses aren't going to want to hit for 4 quarters. Especially when most teams are carrying lighter LB's. Our RB are almost the size of today's backers.

Tough, one cut finisher type. Classic big back for Bill. Definitely has the finish mentality you want in the 4th quarter, last 4 mins.

At times he'll be too much of hurry for contact. Patience behind the los could be worked on some. It's not bad but that's where he'll make his $ and could be maximized a little more. Its better once he hits the second level but can get stuck in traffic up close at times. Stretch stuff needs a little clean up but he can run in most system simply bc of his balance and toughness.

Bruiser that wants contact but doesn't have 5000 carries coming into the league. Does a nice job with subtle cuts, stop/start, stiff arm to avoid tackles. If you're not going low you're on the ground. He'll lower his shoulder and give you nothing but his upper body to hit which works out for him. Again nice job at giving up as little as possible to touch. Lots falling forward, tough yac. Teams are going to be hurting between Harris & Stevenson (if he works out) for 4 quarters. Big, tough, mean backs that want contact. Two big backs!

Enough speed for chunks. Won't run away from anyone but more than enough burst and short speed. Remember once he gets going it's not fun or easy to get him down. Good lateral ability. Decent COD, nice little spin move at times.

++ contact balance. He'll carry a LB for yards, drag a DB 10 yards. Hes a guy that will require wrapping up and multiple tacklers most times, esp once he hits space.

Soft hands, r/r was simple and basic but he was running angle routes and other stuff at the SR Bowl. Lots of potential there. Please don't shy away from it Josh, he can do it.

Decent in pass pro but needs more urgency. Too hesitant at times. This wasn't something he did a lot in college. Decent but needs to get better covering up and hitting the A/B gaps.

Strong back with 3 down upside, short yardage potential and could be a big-time finisher. Improve his patience and ability to set his blocks on the line. Keep his weight in check, he was 240 at times and he'll fit right in here. Suspended in 2019 for pot-carried over to 2020.

I had a 4th on him so like the value and not really surprised by a RB. That room is hanging on by a thread, he's needed. Him & Harris are similar but also a little different. Again two really big backs that most defenses aren't going to want to hit for 4 quarters. Especially when most teams are carrying lighter LB's. Our RB are almost the size of today's backers.

Tell me he doesn’t look like Lagarrette Blount on some of those carries. We now have a 23 year old Lagarrette Blount.

Surprised with the fact that its a RB rather than a WR or OLman, but based on Bacon's observations, I'm OK with the talent relative to the pick point. The more I think about it the more I believe even if we didn't get a WR in the first 4 rounds, there will still be tons available in FA and when teams start to cut down.

There are still a number of teams that will have to cut serviceable NFL quality players including a lot of WR's before August. All will be as good as what we could get in the 4th round

Tell me he doesn’t look like Lagarrette Blount on some of those carries. We now have a 23 year old Lagarrette Blount.
He does, you can't not see it. Especially wearing 29, Blount wore 9 I believe. Lots of similarities and again looks the same aesthetically.

Big back, light feet was my tag. Not really LGB, more of poor man's Najee (minus rec)

Couldn't find much tape on his GL runs, mostly makes it to the end zone with IQ, elusiveness rather than power.

From the tape I've seen he looks even too patient at times, looks like a smart player not so much bruiser.

He is definitely one of the better PP backs - which is far from given with bigger backs.
Look at 1:54 how he takes on and carries blitzing Lb with OL technique!

Surprised with the fact that its a RB rather than a WR or OLman

Actually BB was looking for top big back from the first day of FA

This pick just continues the all-in of BB 2021 offseason. No insurance, “heir apparents“, positional-future roster value/flexibility, developmentals/depth etc - just straight Best Player Available at positions that have room for starting/rotating Day1.
-

Last edited:
I was thinking more Darren Sproles or Dion Lewis :evil:

I agree LGB comps are a bit misleading - at least from what he has on tape. He prefers to run around defenders not through them.
He'll need to unleash&develop the bruiser in him so its nice to hear he likes LGB game.

Big back, light feet was my tag. Not really LGB, more of poor man's Najee (minus rec)

Couldn't find much tape on his GL runs, mostly makes it to the end zone with IQ, elusiveness rather than power.

From the tape I've seen he looks even too patient at times, looks like a smart player not so much bruiser.

He is definitely one of the better PP backs - which is far from given with bigger backs.
Look at 1:54 how he takes on and carries blitzing Lb with OL technique!

See they're both similar. Like LGB was a "Power" back that didn't really run with straight power like a Peterson or Lynch. Light feet, little cuts, side steps and then go type runners.

Harris, Sony and Stevenson can all catch a little, hoping Josh expands their roles a bit bc it's much needed. Obviously same with White, I'd like to see him used more creatively on routes. If our OL stays healthy we're going to be a very good running team again.

I'm thinking Stevenson looks like LGB with hands. BB wants that big pound the ball back to wear down the defense in the 4th quarter and just finish off games.

Definitely thought the Pats would take a RB eventually to round out that group. I was thinking a little later in the day, but 4th round is fine for a guy like Stevenson.

The Pats are gonna be a very physical team in 2021. Big tough running game and big talented Tight Ends.

I agree LGB comps are a bit misleading - at least from what he has on tape. He prefers to run around defenders not through them.
He'll need to unleash&develop the bruiser in him so its nice to hear he likes LGB game.
See my post above. LGB wasn't the power back he gets credit for. Lots of finesse to his game for a big man.

See they're both similar. Like LGB was a "Power" back that didn't really run with straight power like a Peterson or Lynch. Light feet, little cuts, side steps and then go type runners.

Harris, Sony and Stevenson can all catch a little, hoping Josh expands their roles a bit bc it's much needed. Obviously same with White, I'd like to see him used more creatively on routes. If our OL stays healthy we're going to be a very good running team again.

There are similarities no doubt, but that short yd/GL bruising people most remember from Blount is really not there yet with Stevenson - and since that is was BB was searching this offseason i hope he can unleash that and develop to be legit short yd / goal line back you can largely trust.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back