PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revis has high praise for Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having 6 players who can cover well doesn't seem like a lot on a roster of 53, given what the game has become. On average, one will be injured, and sometimes as many as three.

Hopefully New (Malcolm) Butler will be better than Old (Darius) Butler in the next match (and those going forward). I'm even ok with Ryan in there. He's inconsistent, but has made some great plays too

Hopefully New (Malcolm) Butler will be better than Old (Darius) Butler in the next match (and those going forward). I'm even ok with Ryan in there. He's inconsistent, but has made some great plays too
Too bad Darius didn't work out here as he has found a home as a nickel/3rd DB in Indy.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Butler on Hilton next week with help over the top while Revis is isolated on Wayne. I think with the extra time we'll see some new scheme thrown in.
I don't really like Browner on either of those guys but we could see him on Allen or Fleener and play a big nickel.

For comparison's sake, let's look at Chiefs CB Marcus Cooper who came in and produce early last season. In his games against Manning last season Cooper was targeted relentlessly and played very poorly. Manning tried a similar tactic last week. Butler, on the other hand held up despite Manning going after him and Chung a lot on Sunday.

Butler didn't embarrass himself out there unlike Cooper. That has to count for something. Unlike last year's preseason UDFA stars in Sudfeld and Thompkins, Butler has been able to keep up his impressive pace throughout the season so far. No question, Butler has been this season's diamond in the rough thus far.

For comparison's sake, let's look at Chiefs CB Marcus Cooper who came in and produce early last season. In his games against Manning last season Cooper was targeted relentlessly and played very poorly. Manning tried a similar tactic last week. Butler, on the other hand held up despite Manning going after him and Chung a lot on Sunday.

Butler didn't embarrass himself out there unlike Cooper. That has to count for something. Unlike last year's preseason UDFA stars in Sudfeld and Thompkins, Butler has been able to keep up his impressive pace throughout the season so far. No question, Butler has been this season's diamond in the rough thus far.

One advantage that I think Butler had going into this year though is that he had the luxury of easing in for the first 4-6 games of the season. Browner was out, but we still had Revis, Dennard (at times), Ryan, and Arrington, four CB's who had experience in the league at a competitive level.

I'm not sure it would have mattered, but part of me wonders what Sudfeld and Thompkins could have been here if they were not asked to be starters in week 1 of their UDFA rookie seasons.

One advantage that I think Butler had going into this year though is that he had the luxury of easing in for the first 4-6 games of the season. Browner was out, but we still had Revis, Dennard (at times), Ryan, and Arrington, four CB's who had experience in the league at a competitive level.

I'm not sure it would have mattered, but part of me wonders what Sudfeld and Thompkins could have been here if they were not asked to be starters in week 1 of their UDFA rookie seasons.

I don't know how much that matters.

Edelman's first game as a rookie, the Patriots asked him to be Wes Welker, and treated him as such.

When he broke his arm against TN, they were working on a 2-WR set with just him and Welker.

I honestly can't see Dennard being happy right now - unless he's got a shoulder issue he's cleaning up.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him Tommy Kelly'd, which would bum me out because he's a really good CB.
That would be a bad decision by Belichick and his front office. Dennard has played like a top fifteen #2 CB for the better part of the past 2 1/2 years. I would be surprised if they cut Dennard, especially since he would have solid trade value in the offseason.

Probably Arrington, with that contract.
My gut says some CB needy team will grossly overpay Arrington and try to play him outside.

I have a hard time getting excited about our young defensive backs because we have an issue with our development program that leads to these players regressing. Wilson, Dennard, Ryan, and Harmon all were players I was excited about after their rookie seasons.

My gut says some CB needy team will grossly overpay Arrington and try to play him outside.
Arrington is already grossly overpaid. The 2013 offseason was the year of the slot. Amendola $6M APY and Arrington $4M APY. Total of almost $10M to play slot WR and cover the slot WR. Ironically they bother suffered groin injuries that season and now are bottom of the roster depth players.

I have a hard time getting excited about our young defensive backs because we have an issue with our development program that leads to these players regressing. Wilson, Dennard, Ryan, and Harmon all were players I was excited about after their rookie seasons.

Sometimes the problem is not that players regress, but simply that better players become available.

As an example, the reason Edelman's targets went down in 2010 compared to 2009 was not so much because he regressed as a WR, but simply that they had too many other weapons (Moss at the beginning of the season, GRONK and the Prisoner later, Woodhead, Welker, etc.).

This also kind of shows me that Revis is really comfortable and getting along with the guys. I NEVER remember him talking like this with the Jets. Makes me hope he'll help us out when him and Hoody sit down at the negotiating table ;)

Arrington is already grossly overpaid. The 2013 offseason was the year of the slot. Amendola $6M APY and Arrington $4M APY. Total of almost $10M to play slot WR and cover the slot WR. Ironically they bother suffered groin injuries that season and now are bottom of the roster depth players.

Completely disagree that Arrington is "bottom of the roster depth player." He basically shut down Welker last week and is the best slot corner the Pats have by far. Sure he can have his struggles on the outside, but a player with his skill set is definitely valuable in the NFL today with all of the multi WR sets.

Dennard is very serviceable. But he has a hard time staying on the field and keeping his nose clean.

huh? He is healthy now. Reason he isn't playing is what i posted earlier

To be fair to Darius, he's gone on to be a pretty successful player. He played all 16 games for Indy last year with 4 int and 15 PD.

huh? He is healthy now. Reason he isn't playing is what i posted earlier

According to Ben Volin, Alfonzo Dennard has been a healthy scratch for the past 2 games.

Volin claims that Malcolm Butler has now passed Dennard on the depth chart. I tend to take what Volin says with a grain of salt, but thought I'd pass it on regardless, since we've been hearing whispers of this now for a week or two:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/11/6...s-passed-alfonzo-dennard-patriots-depth-chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents