PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Browns reached out last night about Garoppolo, were told no. Will make another offer today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount Fumbled the ball and the game quickly turned in the Falcons favor. Super Bowl is just 1 game anyway.. and he still won the game. I just think its as simple as Brady is 40 and will be 41 when a decision has to be made. Simple as that.

I have no idea what a Garoppolo trade would even look like at this point. I would've guessed that a 1 and a 2 would be enough, but if that wasn't then clearly I was way off in my estimation of how much the Pats value him. Maybe they're sincere in believing that one more year of him as a backup--and a huge decision to be made a year from now--is worth more to them than a 1 and 2. Maybe they're not willing to let him go for any price. Maybe they intend to tag and trade him next year. Maybe they're waiting for someone to offer them a pair of 1s. I can't even reasonably guess if these rumors are true.

Last edited:
No offense intended to you, or your particular position, but I'm going to use your words to set off a mini rant:

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP WITH THE "AT ANY TIME" AND "FALL OFF A CLIFF" CRAP?

No age is safe. A QB is always one hit away from retirement, a QB's game can deteriorate at any age, and the whole "He's getting old" thing was already getting old 5 years ago. We're already past the "Nobody but Elway's ever won at 38" and "Nobody but Manning's ever won at 39" stages.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled postings.

At this point I'm honestly open to the possibility that Brady has more years of prime production left in him than Luck. Their career trajectories over the last couple years could even be used to support that opinion. I don't necessarily think that, but I think a reasonable case could be made.

Anyway, that's just a long way of saying that I agree with you. We're in uncharted territory here. Brady's fitness regimen is unlike anything we've seen. At a certain point, barring a steady HGH regimen he'll be unable to recover on a week-to-week basis. But we have no idea how close to that wall he is, and we have no past precedent to lean on to guide us. And if the Pats think Brady has 3+ years left in him at some reasonable approximation of his current performance, then I'm on board with dealing Jimmy seeing what we've got in Brissett (who wasn't anywhere near ready last time we saw him, but who I like a lot as the potential next guy).

Either way, it's BB hedging his bets. He no doubt realizes that Brady could have a sudden and sharp decline and/or get injured at any time. The body doesn't bounce back at 40 the same way it did at 30 or 24. If Brady is still playing like the GOAT after 2017 comes to a close and doesn't want to hang them up, franchise and trade JAG.

I see this whole thing as uncharted waters. We have an aging HOF QB nearing the end of his career and they are attempting to set up the pieces to ensure the smoothest transition as possible whenever that may be. I personally doubt, although I have no idea, that they would treat Brady like Seymore or even Wilfork rather when JG or whomever begins to outperform Brady they'll get together a put the endgame in place.

I can see Brady retiring much easier with five rings than with three. A three ringed Brady may have continue to strive for that fourth. He has to be in a good place mentally but I'm sure he wants more.

And if the Pats hold onto Garoppolo, there is a clear, plain as day sign that even Belichick doesn't believe that.
I fully believe Tom Brady intends on playing til his mid-40's (whether that's realistic or not, I believe that's his intentions). In the emails leaked during the investigation of Deflategate, he clearly said (paraphrasing), "Manning's career is almost over, I have another 7-8 years left." That was a private conversation, no reason to put any spin on it or use lip service for the press.

No offense intended to you, or your particular position, but I'm going to use your words to set off a mini rant:

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP WITH THE "AT ANY TIME" AND "FALL OFF A CLIFF" CRAP?
I agree with you on virtually everything, but not on this.

Obviously every player is "one hit away", but being older makes him more susceptible. There's nothing controversial about that statement.

Anyway, that's just a long way of saying that I agree with you. We're in uncharted territory here. Brady's fitness regimen is unlike anything we've seen.
People say this a lot, but I think it is romanticized and exaggerated. Even if his regimen truly is unprecedented, it's not like other old quarterbacks were sitting around eating Cheetos and drinking Mountain Dew all day.

I agree with you on virtually everything, but not on this.

Obviously every player is "one hit away", but being older makes him more susceptible. There's nothing controversial about that statement.

Brady's only games missed for injury all came in 2008. Go match that up against Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Ben Roethlisberger and Tony Romo, and then get back to me.

Brady's only games missed for injury all came in 2008. Go match that up against Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Ben Roethlisberger and Tony Romo, and then get back to me.
Peyton Manning and Brett Favre were also iron men, and both indeed hit a wall -- and fast.

Peyton Manning and Brett Favre were also iron men, and both indeed hit a wall -- and fast.

Not true at all.

Manning had a neck injury, yet stayed in the league for years, with his arm strength, and game, noticeably declining over time.
Favre had a pair of down years, and then bounced back for 2 more good ones in his next 4.

Not true at all.

Manning had a neck injury, yet stayed in the league for years, with his arm strength, and game, noticeably declining over time.
Favre had a pair of down years, and then bounced back for 2 more good ones in his next 4.
It's completely true.

Favre had arguably the best year of his career in 2009 (33 TD, 7 INT, 107.2 passer rating). The next year he missed 3 games (the first time since 1992) and had 11 TD, 19 INT, and a 69.9 passer rating in 2010. He retired.

After his neck injury, Manning had arguably (2004 was maybe better) the best year of his career in 2013 (NFL-record 55 TD, 10 INT, 115.1 passer rating) en route to the Broncos setting the NFL record for most points in a season. He followed it up with a very strong year in 2014 (39 TD, 15 INT, 101.5 passer rating). In 2015, he dropped to 9 TD, 17 INT, and a 67.9 passer rating. He retired.

Those were all dominant seasons followed by catastrophic dropoffs in performance. I don't know how you can spin that any other way. These were not gradual declines.

It's completely true.

No, it's ********.

Manning's decline started way the hell back in 2010. He modified his game after he returned from surgery after missing the entire 2011 season, limiting the impact of his loss of arm strength, but the decline continued until it was something he could no longer overcome.

Favre had down years in 2005 and 2006. He had a bounce back year in 2007. He started strong in 2008, only to get injured and struggle mightily in the second half of the season. He had a bounce back year in 2009, and then limped to the finish in 2010.

I wonder how far it got? This is just for inquiring minds. Was it, "We'll give you #12 and #53 for Jimmy. "Not interested, need more." or was it, "We love Jimmy, we have a large offer we can make for you, any interest?" "Not interested." Subtle difference, but one says that the Pats would trade him for a huge bounty, while the other says they're not trading him period.

My guess would be "Not interested, need more" since as the heading notes, the Browns reached out yesterday, were told no, and will immediately make another offer. "Not interested, period" would not have invited anymore trade talk, but if one day later the Browns are putting together a different offer package, it seems the message is, what more can you give us for a trade?

No, it's ********.

Manning's decline started way the hell back in 2010. He modified his game after he returned from surgery after missing the entire 2011 season, limiting the impact of his loss of arm strength, but the decline continued until it was something he could no longer overcome.

Favre had down years in 2005 and 2006. He had a bounce back year in 2007. He started strong in 2008, only to get injured and struggle mightily in the second half of the season. He had a bounce back year in 2009, and then limped to the finish in 2010.
Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't agree with your depiction. We are just going to go round and round in circles.

I'll finish with this. Of the pool of all players in NFL history, very few have remained very productive into their 40's. It's almost unprecedented. The burden of proof is isn't on us to prove that Brady won't hit a wall -- it's on those that he won't.

(Again, all of this coming from someone who wants to trade Jimmy G and commit to Brady for the next few years.)

Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't agree with your depiction. We are just going to go round and round in circles.

I'll finish with this. Of the pool of all players in NFL history, very few have remained very productive into their 40's. It's almost unprecedented. The burden of proof is isn't on us to prove that Brady won't hit a wall -- it's on those that he won't.

(Again, all of this coming from someone who wants to trade Jimmy G and commit to Brady for the next few years.)

It's really not a matter of you disagreeing. You're just wrong with the two guys you picked, and Manning's blatantly obvious. The guy's arm decline had been talked about since 2010, he missed the entire 2011 season because of the needed surgery, and he walked off the field a SB winner after the 2015 season. That's a 6 year "wall".

And you apparently didn't actually read what I'd originally posted, since you're rehashing the same arguments we've been reading for 5 years.

It's really not a matter of you disagreeing. You're just wrong with the two guys you picked, and Manning's blatantly obvious. The guy's arm decline had been talked about since 2010, he missed the entire 2011 season because of the needed surgery, and he walked off the field a SB winner after the 2015 season. That's a 6 year "wall".

And you apparently didn't actually read what I'd originally posted, since you're rehashing the same arguments we've been reading for 5 years.
Your Manning "decline period" includes one of the most prolific QB seasons in NFL history. Come on. Trivializing that as him "altering his game" is hyperbole.

Schefter just said put a wrap on the JG to Cleveland talk.

Your Manning "decline period" includes one of the most prolific QB seasons in NFL history. Come on. Trivializing that as him "altering his game" is hyperbole.

Ignoring the fact that he was in physical decline and had to change his game is idiocy.

In the emails leaked during the investigation of Deflategate, he clearly said (paraphrasing), "Manning's career is almost over, I have another 7-8 years left." That was a private conversation, no reason to put any spin on it or use lip service for the press.
Fair point.

This thread is moot, now.

DeShone Kizer, QB ---> Cleveland Browns pick..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST