PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

There was no drop off whatsoever after he left. He was only the OC for one year (2011). Play caller for two, but was highly criticized in his first year in 2010. Had no answer vs Rex Ryan in the divisional round and choked in the 2011 Super Bowl. He had Tom Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Branch and a very good OL. He wouldn't have anyone close to that in NE. His claim to fame was yelling at Tom Brady.
I would just add that O’Brien’s teams were some of the least penalized teams in the NFL… anyone who watched the Pat’s offense this season should be starved for that. Also once he became the defacto GM towards the end of his run in Houston they made the playoffs because they improved their OLine. I don’t want him to be the GM but he clearly knew what was wrong with his team. With a better GM to start he might have had better results with the Texans.

Either way he ran a similar offense here in the 2010’s with two TE sets and no FB. He has undoubtedly grown and improved at Alabama and has that younger college mindset. If anything has been proven from watching this years Bucs team it’s that Tommy isn’t always right.

I don’t follow baseball anymore, but I’m n Maine, and most of my friends are Sox fans, and they are furious at them. They want John Henry gone.
John Henry's the guy who had a reunion for the 2004 team but didn't invite Curt Schilling. I remember thinking at the time how low that was and that there's no way Bob Kraft would ever be so petty with any former player. It makes me glad that I dumped MLB 20 years ago.

Cooks is the one that wants out, and he has a good relationship with Belichick. The Patriots aren’t an elite team but they aren’t dogsh.t either. I have no idea if he wants to come to NE or not, but it makes sense for them to look into it.
Is that the same Cooks who played here and couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag? The same Cooks who dropped a potential winning TD pass with LA in Silence of the Rams II? No thanks.

The main reason to keep Meyers is he'd be the only WR since Branch & Edelman to succeed here as a homegrown (undrafted) guy to get a 2nd contract. (and Branch hardly counts since he left after his rookie deal, and came back in FA) For BB's 23 years of GM, that's complete failure.
So, will we ever get a drafted WR to make a difference here? I don't think so. So sign Meyers!
And keep trying to get diamonds in the rough in FA.
Agree. People here want to let a guy walk who has quietly (As a rookie) moved into the top 10 all time Pats WR reception list. He is in between Amendola and Moss for Christ sakes. And this is with Cam Newton, a rookie QB and Mac's 2nd season.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Agree. People here want to let a guy walk who has quietly (As a rookie) moved into the top 10 all time Pats WR reception list. He is in between Amendola and Moss for Christ sakes. And this is with Cam Newton, a rookie QB and Mac's 2nd season.
He is also stepping up as a vocal leader which is also very needed at this time.

However we still had elite play from the guys we did have Troy brown, dion branch, Edelman, Welker, of course gronk and Hernandez
Interesting that only the home grown receivers in that list won a SB (or died being a psycho).

Last year OBJ on the Rams. Was a massive contributor they probably don't get to the Super Bowl without him. And just for the heck of it.... the otherside had a WR that the year before they invested the number 5 overall pick on. Two paths most people are against taking (trading or investing a high pick)

The year before the winning team invested the 7th overall pick on their top receiver (Evans), they also traded for Gronk, and yeah had AB in free agency. So the majority of their pass catching contributors were either a very high draft

In 2017 we got to a Super Bowl with Cooks who we traded a late 1st for.

So make your pick, investing high in the draft or trading someone. What's the point in saving assets and being mediocre?
Great counterpoint, but OBJ was a WR2 on that team, with a home grown WR1 far above everyone else in the league.

Evans was home grown. He was a clear WR1. Their 2nd WR1 was also home grown in Godwin. AB and RG were TB12 addons.

Excellent point on Cooks as WR1 in 2017 - missed that. Gronk was the best receiver, but that's moot in this discussion.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
He moved into the top 10 all time Pats WR reception list... as a rookie?

Meyers and Jon Jones will be interesting to see how that unfolds.

I say Bill lets them both walk and Bill makes a big splash elsewhere.

Is that the same Cooks who played here and couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag? The same Cooks who dropped a potential winning TD pass with LA in Silence of the Rams II? No thanks.
Leaping for a first down instead of just running for it in the Super Bowl. Unable to protect himself properly and ending up out of the Super Bowl.

Not a smart receiver.

Letting talent go because you don't want to pay them is not how you build a team. Patriots should keep Meyers. If they want to get Mac and the offense on track.

Fans need to get out of this "too expensive!" Mindset. The only reason lowballing and bargain shopping worked in years past is because Brady covered up for it.

Without Brady you actually need to retain talent.

Last year OBJ on the Rams. Was a massive contributor they probably don't get to the Super Bowl without him. And just for the heck of it.... the otherside had a WR that the year before they invested the number 5 overall pick on. Two paths most people are against taking (trading or investing a high pick)

The year before the winning team invested the 7th overall pick on their top receiver (Evans), they also traded for Gronk, and yeah had AB in free agency. So the majority of their pass catching contributors were either a very high draft

In 2017 we got to a Super Bowl with Cooks who we traded a late 1st for.

So make your pick, investing high in the draft or trading someone. What's the point in saving assets and being mediocre?

People on this board have some weird obsession about only wanting average receivers. Living in the time of when Brady was QB and we didn't invest much in wide receiver. But it's also revisionist history because even Brady needed good receivers. Look at 2019 with the pats vs 2020 bucs. And people forget Brady also had moss, welker, Edelman, gronk...elite talent. Moss and Gronk are hall of famers. Teams had to gameplan for them. No one on this team to gameplan for. Teams aren't scared of devante Parker..

If Brady struggled when he had poor-average talent why do we want that for Mac Jones?

It's no surprise jaylen Hurts and Tua went from guys on their way out to looking like franchise QBs when their teams invested in the receiver position.

I love Meyers but that lateral back pass to Chandler Jones will forever haunt him.

Yep... Unless he signs with a team that's actually championship-driven; but if he signs (or re-signs) with one that has other priorities ahead of it then yeah, after every loss of every losing season...

People on this board have some weird obsession about only wanting average receivers. Living in the time of when Brady was QB and we didn't invest much in wide receiver. But it's also revisionist history because even Brady needed good receivers. Look at 2019 with the pats vs 2020 bucs. And people forget Brady also had moss, welker, Edelman, gronk...elite talent. Moss and Gronk are hall of famers. Teams had to gameplan for them. No one on this team to gameplan for. Teams aren't scared of devante Parker..

If Brady struggled when he had poor-average talent why do we want that for Mac Jones?

It's no surprise jaylen Hurts and Tua went from guys on their way out to looking like franchise QBs when their teams invested in the receiver position.
100%. I think a big issue is people not understanding that when you can’t draft or find diamonds in the rough on a certain position, you generally have to pay for them at the market rate… and the market rate is high for WR.

It’s clear what he have isn’t working and hasn’t been working.

Preach Brother preach that's why I can't see Bob going with Meyers below we already have Bourne.

Letting talent go because you don't want to pay them is not how you build a team. Patriots should keep Meyers. If they want to get Mac and the offense on track.

Fans need to get out of this "too expensive!" Mindset. The only reason lowballing and bargain shopping worked in years past is because Brady covered up for it.

Without Brady you actually need to retain talent.
Agree. Meyers has improved each year and has a rapport with Mac, so I say keep him and look to upgrade the WR position via trade and/or the draft.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back