PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports are the Pats may upgrade the WRs through trade (not necessarily Hopkins)

100%. I think a big issue is people not understanding that when you can’t draft or find diamonds in the rough on a certain position, you generally have to pay for them at the market rate… and the market rate is high for WR.

It’s clear what he have isn’t working and hasn’t been working.
We'd love to have a top WR. They don't grow on trees though.

As for Brady in 2019, 4 of the OL were injured. 3 were on IR and Shaq Mason was playing on a bum leg. Newhouse as your LT had Brady throwing the ball away in one second. It didn't matter if he had Jerry Rice or Phillip Dorsett out there.

Brady conducted a Super Bowl comeback in 2016 by throwing to Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell. Gotta give credit where it's due. Mac is no Brady however.

Of course they'd love a top WR, but even if they land Quentin Johnston, this kid will need to develop. He won't be on the field in game 1.

Agree. Meyers has improved each year and has a rapport with Mac, so I say keep him and look to upgrade the WR position via trade and/or the draft.
I think Meyers is a 10Mill receiver Tops he's ain't getting $15Mill from the Patriots maybe from some other Team.

As for Brady in 2019, 4 of the OL were injured. 3 were on IR and Shaq Mason was playing on a bum leg. Newhouse as your LT had Brady throwing the ball away in one second. It didn't matter if he had Jerry Rice or Phillip Dorsett out there.

Brady conducted a Super Bowl comeback in 2016 by throwing to Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell. Gotta give credit where it's due. Mac is no Brady however.

Of course they'd love a top WR, but even if they land Quentin Johnston, this kid will need to develop. He won't be on the field in game 1.
Is Q Johnston that raw??

It's not an either/or proposition.
Personally I don't think Meyers is to die for: love what he did for himself being 7Th Rounder and all but the 2023 N.E. Patriots Needs much better @ WR.

We need a game changer which Meyers is not!

It's not an either/or proposition.

Correct; we can have our cake, and eat it too: there's (plenty) of room for both a re-signed Meyers AND a game-changer through the draft.

Meyers
Parker
Bourne
Thornton
Top-100 Draft Pick
Young vet looking for a 2nd contract but at no more than half of Meyers' projected salary
Savvy vet looking for one last >$1M contract
Late-Round/UDFA for PS development

Edelman is better than all of our WR's right now and Amendola/Hogan would have a good shot at being our WR1 if they were in their prime on this squad

Guys, you can't blame MP for all of the offensive woes - and see clear correlation for Mac's bad regression - and then say that our WR's aren't good enough.
Returning to a good system and scheme, these 4 WR's are certainly at the Hogan/Amendola/LaFell/Mitchell/Cooks level.
The one thing they don't have is an Edelman. Meyers is close, but not the smaller/lightning slot guy that we've always counted on.
If we can get someone to do that, we're set. Providing BOB can get these 2 TE's to live up to potential.

Correct; we can have our cake, and eat it too: there's (plenty) of room for both a re-signed Meyers AND a game-changer through the draft.

Meyers
Parker
Bourne
Thornton
Top-100 Draft Pick
Young vet looking for a 2nd contract but at no more than half of Meyers' projected salary
I'd prefer simply replacing Agholor by trading for a top receiver than having the 7 WR corps you seem to want.

acquired by trade (with the top 100 pick you want to use on a rookie)
Meyers
Parker
Bourne
Thornton
Wilkerson and late rounder or UDFA for PS development

Guys, you can't blame MP for all of the offensive woes - and see clear correlation for Mac's bad regression - and then say that our WR's aren't good enough.
Returning to a good system and scheme, these 4 WR's are certainly at the Hogan/Amendola/LaFell/Mitchell/Cooks level.
The one thing they don't have is an Edelman. Meyers is close, but not the smaller/lightning slot guy that we've always counted on.
If we can get someone to do that, we're set. Providing BOB can get these 2 TE's to live up to potential.
And that's my thing with Meyers he's not like Edelman or Welker he just doesn't have their quicks. This Offense lacks those walking first downs from the Slot.

Meyers
Parker
Bourne
Thornton
Top-100 Draft Pick
Unless that Top 100 draft pick turns out to be a Day 1 starter w/ 50/600/4 production, that's not going to cut it. With our WR record, what are the odds of that happening?

I'd prefer simply replacing Agholor by trading for a top receiver than having the 7 WR corps you seem to want.

acquired by trade (with the top 100 pick you want to use on a rookie)
Meyers
Parker
Bourne
Thornton
Wilkerson and late rounder or UDFA for PS development

If you trade a top-100 pick for an established WR, then he better be cost-controlled through 2025 AND be young enough to be worthy of Another multi-year contract if he performs up to standard...

Just wanted to say that, although his last game for us went terribly wrong, Brandon Cooks is noticeably better than anyone we currently have in our WR room and would be our #1 be default... Agree on the other names being fair comps...

Unless that Top 100 draft pick turns out to be a Day 1 starter w/ 50/600/4 production, that's not going to cut it. With our WR record, what are the odds of that happening?

A man can dream, can't he?

I'm not opposed to spending a pick on a vet WR, but the vet still has to be cost-controlled... No rentals! Otherwise you're back to Square 1 soon enough... Just ask Don Sweeney how well that tactic works...

Edelman is better than all of our WR's right now and Amendola/Hogan would have a good shot at being our WR1 if they were in their prime on this squad
Edelman is the best slot receiver of all time. Yes, and Amendola was incredibly clutch. And he had great longevity. He did it for a very long time. That being said, Jakobi Meyers is more productive than Amendola season by season. As for Hogan, he really doesn't belong anywhere near this conversation.

Last edited:
Just wrote in another thread that Keenan Allen is one of my favorites. Tee Higgins and Jerry Jeudy, youngsters are okay. Rest are long in the tooth.
Keenan allen? He couldn’t even get drafted ahead of Aaron Dobson

Edelman is the best slot receiver of all time. Yes, and Amendola was incredibly clutch. And he had great longevity. He did it for a very long time. That being said, Jakobi Meyers is more productive than Amendola season by season. As for Hogan, he really doesn't belong anywhere near this conversation.
I could very well be wrong, but I don't remember Amendola being all that vital through the regular seasons as a chain mover. He was just clutch in that SB and that clouds our memory of him.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back