PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report (Unconfirmed) - Patriots sign Brandon Browner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! 17M!

Higher than I thought so I expect him to be the starting SS and move around a lot. That's commensurate with lots of playing time in any capacity.

The process coupled with the statement he released lets me know he really wanted to be a patriot.

Let's go!

How come Browner only played in 8 games last year? Was it a suspension or injuries?

Both, haha. He was injured for a bit (that was when Walter Thurmond came in) then got suspended in December.

Now focus on WR and defensive line.

the Pats have arguably the best secondary in the NFL now, which feels ridiculous

check out his highlight reel. Reminds me of Harrison the way he hits but he has a nose for the ball...lots of dazzling INT's...

Looks like our defense is going the way of the SMASH MOUTH style of football :)

OK, after reading the last 8 pages of this thread and going up an down with every reported tweet, I have made the leap. Brandon Browner IS going to be a Patriot. So now that that's taken care we can move on.

The first thing is the issue of where he's going to play. Many people here think it will be at S, but I think that's and inaccurate supposition. Playing S in a Patriot defense would seem to match his skill set.

I think Dennard and Revis will be our two main outside CB's in the Pats base defense. Where Browner will come into play as a "wildcard" week to week match up playing to his skill set (press coverage) against certain big receivers and TE's. This would allow Dennard to play the "robber" role that Gregory filled last season. I can see Browner looking like he's a typical SS when he's got a TE in man coverage.

To recap, Browner is not going to be our starting SS (we don't even have that position in the Pats defense). He's not going to be our starting outside CB. What Brandon Browner IS going to be, is a match up nightmare for opposing offenses on a week to week basis, where the Pats can use his size and physicality in favorable match ups, and avoid putting him the position (ie quicker smaller receivers in space) of being in unfavorable match ups.

This secondary is shaping up to be the stuff that will need a rocket scientist to figure out all the complex coverages that can be created by the talents at hand. Good thing the Pats actually have have one. :D

a momentary lull in the crapfest jihad of the chicken little whiners...quick, somebody come up with another player or position so the "world is ending" crew can get back on board and start their nonstop whining and complaining for the rest of free agency.

Don't worry, once Wilfork is released they'll start losing their minds over how bad our defensive line is. They'll even be right, sort of, if it theoretically doesn't get addressed over the next five months. But even if this signals a philosophical shift toward prioritizing secondary over DL, I'm sorta okay with that. The DL still has to be *good*, but with how pass-happy the league is now, you just have to have a lot of talent in the secondary. And the Pats have that now.

With Browner, we have one of the 3-4 best secondaries in the NFL. Maybe even top 2, along with Seattle.

So the 3 scrub QBs in the division have to face a secondary with Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan & McCourty as part of the group?

GL guys.

The pass rush should be better with a beast looking secondary too :D

Browner signed, 3 years 17 million:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/444611669247787008

More money than I would have guessed (mostly due to the suspension), but not bad at all. If he's going to play SS, that puts him just slightly above what TJ Ward got, and well below Whitner.

I wonder if there's some kind of clause that protects the Pats in the event that he gets a yearlong suspension.

Depends on how much guaranteed... But, yes, seems more than you would expect, especially since he missed lots of games due to PEDs and stuff like that.. I'd thought a "prove-it deal" would be the case...

We are getting low on $$$ and we still have to sign our 2014 draft picks, get a DE, shore up the OL, and of course get a decent WR (a #1).

Today, I am proud to announce that I am a New England Patriot. I am honored
that the Patriots are making me part of their legendary organization, and am
grateful for the opportunity Mr. Kraft, Coach Belichick, Nick Caserio and
the entire team have given me. I intend to diligently work with the same
passion and dedication that I have displayed since coming into the NFL to
uphold the great traditions and qualities that are embodied by the Patriots.
I would be remiss if I didn’t thank the Seattle Seahawks for giving a CFL
player the once in-a-lifetime opportunity to return to the NFL, making a
young boy's dream come true. To Coach Pete Carroll, GM John Schneider, John
Idzik, Coach Richard, Rocky Seto, the LOB, my teammates, the training staff, the equipment guys the Seahawks organization as a whole and most importantly the 12th Man, I say thank you for everything you have done for myself and my family.
I am a truly blessed person.

a momentary lull in the crapfest jihad of the chicken little whiners...quick, somebody come up with another player or position so the "world is ending" crew can get back on board and start their nonstop whining and complaining for the rest of free agency.
Let's see -- how many wide receivers are still available now that the God-like Steve Smith devastated us by signing with Baltimore? Or, maybe we can trade for a wide receiver under contract? Because, you know, a football team needs wide receivers ... :bricks:

Get this baby marked as official, he's announced it himself on Twitter :)

From the days of Sergio Brown to this. So happy right now. Whatever happens next year, player health willing, we aren't going to be screaming at our TVs from our secondary making Geno Smith look like Joe Montana.

Browner.. GTFI

Time to celebrate with a little dance my patfans friends.

29kqbk6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots