PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Richard Sherman out for the season

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Following Seattle's 22-16 win, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll announced that Richard Sherman would miss the rest of the season after tearing his Achilles against the Cardinals.

"The doctors are really clear about it, he ruptured his Achilles," Carroll said, via the Seahawks. "There's no coming back from that until you get surgery."

The Seahawks' All-Pro corner went down in the third quarter after getting tangled up

Richard Sherman out for the season after suffering torn Achilles vs. Cardinals

This is one injury where I can directly attribute to the rigors of playing on Thursdays for an NFL player who was resting and trying to heal from a strain.

Not a fan but it sucks to see players go down -- especially quality players that help an overall product that needs help (at least quite a number of teams that too often can't get out of their own way).

bad home coming for him; he went to stanford cardinal, got injured vs the cardinals

They really do need to ban TNF or only have teams play in it which are coming off a bye.

Not sure that'll work but they've got to do something. The games suck and players get hurt

I agree Thursday Nite football should be canned..

The list of Seahawks that got injured last night is alarming acc. to Profootball talk....

The Seahawks also have concerns about left tackle Duane Brown, who left in the first half with a right ankle injury, their other starting cornerback, Shaquill Griffin, who left with a shoulder injury, running back C.J. Prosise, who has an ankle injury, defensive tackle Jarran Reed, who has a hamstring injury, and linebacker Michael Wilhoite, who has a calf injury.

Safety Kam Chancellor, the only remaining starter in the secondary after Sherman went out, entered the medical tent in the final two minutes.

Seattle seemed to be pushing their chips all-in for the next 2 seasons, the last 2 seasons of Sherman/Thomas under contract. They traded future 2nds for large contracts like Sheldon Richardson and Duane Brown.

Losing Sherman this year, and probably a diminished version next year while he's recovering, may totally close their championship window. Anything is possible, and Wilson is a franchise QB, but privately they've got to be really crushed.

TNF needs to go but according to Sherman he was already feeling it (his achilles) for the past weeks so he probably already had a tear at the microscopic level and if one keeps playing NFL games with this condition, I think that was going to happen sooner or later.

I agree Thursday Nite football should be canned..

The list of Seahawks that got injured last night is alarming acc. to Profootball talk....
There's a better solution. Give both teams a bye before the TNF game. That way they play with 11 days rest and have 10 days before their next game..... That way 2 teams have a bye every week and you address all the concerns players have about safety.

The Seahawks are undergoing a transition period similar to the 2005 Pats due to injuries & aging players. The team will now be shouldered by Wilson & I’m interested to see how it goes. All the arguments about Lynch & the defense carrying Wilson could soon be moot if he carries them to a deep playoff run.

Very similar situations though. Corey Dillon aged & left (Marshawn Lynch) and the defense is going through a ton of injuries.

Here from Sherman how regular and TNF weeks look for the players:
Why I Hate Thursday Night Football | By Richard Sherman

quote:

I’d like to put Roger Goodell in pads for a late game on a Sunday, in December, in Green Bay, on the frozen tundra — then see what time he gets to the office on Monday morning, knowing that he would have to suit up again on Thursday.
Then maybe he’d understand….

Last edited:
They really do need to ban TNF or only have teams play in it which are coming off a bye.

Not sure that'll work but they've got to do something. The games suck and players get hurt

There's a better solution. Give both teams a bye before the TNF game. That way they play with 11 days rest and have 10 days before their next game..... That way 2 teams have a bye every week and you address all the concerns players have about safety.

The problem with this idea is that it's far too obvious a solution. The NFL struggles with that.

Was thinking that, too, but is it possible to engineer the schedule that way? And could the NFL possibly manage to do it well?

TNF needs to go but according to Sherman he was already feeling it (his achilles) for the past weeks so he probably already had a tear at the microscopic level and if one keeps playing NFL games with this condition, I think that was going to happen sooner or later.

Sounds like his injury was predictable and preventable, but getting these guys to sit out a game under those conditions is pretty difficult if not impossible.

Not a fan of his, but definitely never hope any player gets injured, especially one as serious as this. Hope he recovers!!!!

The problem with this idea is that it's far too obvious a solution. The NFL struggles with that.

Was thinking that, too, but is it possible to engineer the schedule that way? And could the NFL possibly manage to do it well?

Yea after offering this as a solution not sure the scheduling would work as is as i think you would start to see teams being 2 games behind in the standings at the end of December . I don't see a problem with it but to ensure the playoffs end 1st week of Feb they might need to start the season earlier and eliminate 1 preseason game. God forbid.

I'm not a scheduling genius so need to think about this more.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back