PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Richard Sherman out for the season

Was thinking that, too, but is it possible to engineer the schedule that way? And could the NFL possibly manage to do it well?

Add another BYE week for every team right before their mid-week games. The number of games stays at 16 but the NFL gains another week of regular season football money from advertisers. Problem solved.

I agree on adding the bye week before the two teams play Thursday. Problem is easier said then done.

NFL Schedules are tricky things due to scheduled events by other entities. Not saying it cant be done because it can. However it might not be something they can do for 2 or 3 seasons due to commitments to other venues. Soccer, concerts, conventions etc.

I agree Thursday Nite football should be canned..

The list of Seahawks that got injured last night is alarming acc. to Profootball talk....
I watched the game and they were dropping like flies. Sherman also knew he tore his Achilles - they showed him going around and hugging his teammates and you could read his lips that he was saying, "tore my Achilles" or "I'm done for the season." As some have said, not a fan, but you hate to see good players go down.

There's a better solution. Give both teams a bye before the TNF game. That way they play with 11 days rest and have 10 days before their next game..... That way 2 teams have a bye every week and you address all the concerns players have about safety.

Not sure why anyone would disagree with this, almost all the games are divisional so coupling them with a bye week would be easy.

I watched the game and they were dropping like flies. Sherman also knew he tore his Achilles - they showed him going around and hugging his teammates and you could read his lips that he was saying, "tore my Achilles" or "I'm done for the season." As some have said, not a fan, but you hate to see good players go down.

I like him - unique player in the League to have a brash personality with a lot of intelligence backing up when he speaks his mind.

So often, guys are whisked to the locker room and then you don't see them again for months once they hit IR - felt kinda eerie to see him on the sideline, telling his teammates he was done, knowing he wasn't going to be on a gameday field again for almost a year. I felt bad for him and was distracted from plays on the field by it (though I wasn't really paying much attention to begin with).

From a team distraction point of view, easy to see why you wouldn't want that as a coach, i.e., did Doug Baldwin and Russell Wilson need to think about Richard Sherman to beat the Cardinals? It's another example of that unique Seattle Seahawks / Pete Carrol culture - very different than the Patriots' approach.

Sucks for him. I can't help but think how this effects the power structure of the NFC.

The Seattle were one of the few battle tested vet teams. Without Sherman I just don't see them having a good shot to make noise in the playoffs.

Was thinking that, too, but is it possible to engineer the schedule that way? And could the NFL possibly manage to do it well?
It couldn't be done for every single week of the season - especially Thanksgiving where there are 3 games - but it certainly could be done for *most* TNF games.

Other than the season opener, they should wait until week 5 for TNF.

Sucks for him. I can't help but think how this effects the power structure of the NFC.

The Seattle were one of the few battle tested vet teams. Without Sherman I just don't see them having a good shot to make noise in the playoffs.

Well we have been there, decimated by injuries and falling short of a SB in Denver twice. It happens. Specially with teams that play more than 16 games every year.

Would like to see a study trying to correlate this extra games playoff teams play and how that affects the next camp and season. I'd imagine that after the season ends, whatever it is in December or February, it would take 1 month just for players who played the whole season start to fell normal again and recovered from minor injures and scratches. Articular and other structural damages must take longer and then when the player is 100% mini camps are already in place so some players can't even enjoy 2 or 3 months doing absolutely nothing in terms of workouts.

Lot of respect for Sherman. Hate to see these things happen especially during awful Thursday games.

View attachment 18529
I actually begrudge Sherman for interfering with that moment. Brady was striking a pose like Jerry Jones when he kneeled before the national anthem. This was Brady's moment where he could have had a 360 camera shot of him embracing immorality in the annuls of the NFL.

I like Sherman - another loss for the league.

Thursday's need to go ...

So many big time injuries. Some teams have been fortunate. One of those are our biggest competition in the squealers.

Couldn’t have happened to a bigger big mouth

I actually begrudge Sherman for interfering with that moment. Brady was striking a pose like Jerry Jones when he kneeled before the national anthem. This was Brady's moment where he could have had a 360 camera shot of him embracing immorality in the annuls of the NFL.
Are you joking?

Are you joking?
Just the Jerry part, but I am serious with the rest. I hated it that Sherman chose that moment for a hand shake. He could have waited just a tad.

Every team gets one TNF game and other problem is that some teams would get an early bye, others a late one. Easy to. Work out.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back