PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots Want To Trade Up In First Round, Draft Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way is anyone that actually has a clue what BB plans to do is talking to Mike Freeman. Probably BB trying to sniff out the rat that has caused a rise in Patriots leaks over the past few years.

This year's group being what it is, I"m not sure trading up accomplishes much, unless you're trading into the top couple of picks, or you trade up a couple of spots to get a specific falling player.

The value in this draft is between picks 30 to 60 meaning the Patriots trade up in the draft? Sammy Watkins is the only WR worth trading up for and he'll be long gone unless the Patriots mortgage the next few drafts to get him.

There are receiver threats that we would trade up for. Evans and Ebron come to mind. We are not moving into the top 5 to get Watkins, nor should we.

The value in this draft is between picks 30 to 60 meaning the Patriots trade up in the draft? Sammy Watkins is the only WR worth trading up for and he'll be long gone unless the Patriots mortgage the next few drafts to get him.

Watkins and Evans to me are going to be superstars. I'm a big Evans guy.

There are receiver threats that we would trade up for. Evans and Ebron come to mind. We are not moving into the top 5 to get Watkins, nor should we.

Why on Earth would it be worth it to trade for Ebron, but not for Watkins? Ebron's a mediocrity.

Watkins and Evans to me are going to be superstars. I'm a big Evans guy.
I think Mike Evans could be a franchise guy but I also think he could be a massive bust. I sway from one extreme to the other regarding Evans. Watkins has All Pro written all over him.

From what amazingly little I know about Ernie Adams analyses I thought I knew ONE THING: There is NO WR worth drafting in the 1 RD (this year or any year); and certainly NOT worth MOVING UP to waste even more draft capital.

And anybody in the media saying BB is thinking about doing that IMHO doesnt know BB, hasnt studied history, knows nothing about BB's statistical analysis of output vs cap cost vs draft position, and has some agenda [likely revolving around generating internet hits].

Now, that said: If we are talking about moving up to get a TE as the "receiving threat" someone translated it as..................SIGN ME UP FOR MORE OF THAT!!!!

My ideal draft is (in any order): TE, DT/DE, OG/OC in rounds 1, 2, 3. .... We shall see.

I don't buy it. This is not the draft you move up in. It's one where you either stay put or move down in. I do love Evans, though. But there are other pressing needs.
That is way too vague and broad of a statement to apply to this (or any) draft. If the guy you want is available for a price you are willing to pay, then move up.

spoty1.jpg

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
Well, this is par for the course for Belichick.

As is his typical fashion he normally tells various media sources exactly what he plans to do, and never plants misinformation.

Basically the one rule to know about the draft is believe everything you hear when it comes to rumors about what the Patriots will do :rolleyes:

unless we are somehow pulling Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans, which $-wise isn't possible.. then I'd rather see us trade up for Pryor/Clinton-Dix or get a DE/DT or trade back

this rumor is bogus too imo

Well, this is par for the course for Belichick.

As is his typical fashion he normally tells various media sources exactly what he plans to do, and never plants misinformation.

Basically the one rule to know about the draft is believe everything you hear when it comes to rumors about what the Patriots will do :rolleyes:

But maybe...he knows that people THINK he would put out misinformation, so MAYBE he's giving his real intentions to REALLY throw people off!

Yup...

The team picking ahead of us are the Panthers who are desperate for receivers. Maybe our public interest in WRs is nothing more than an attempt to ensure that the Panthers don't trade out ahead of us because they'll worry that we'll take their receiver at our pick. With the Panthers not trading out, that would mean a) no-one is trading ahead of us for a player we want or b) it increases the chances of us becoming the team that gets to trade back.

Or we might be really interested in a WR <shrugs>

Let's see now.

EBRON is considered a trade-up possibility in the 15-25 range and WATKINS is a trade-up possibility in the 3-5 range. And you are asking why on earth it would be worth trading for Ebron but not for Watkins? Is that what you are really asking.

If Ebron's a mediocrity, then presumably Belichick will secure a different TE.

Are you seriously contending that we should consider what it would cost to move up to Pick 4 to get Watkins?

With regard to Ebron, perhaps you strong oibjection is because it the possibility entirely possible.

I would think that other TE's are more likely to be patriots: ASJ, Niklas, or Fiedorowitz.

Why on Earth would it be worth it to trade for Ebron, but not for Watkins? Ebron's a mediocrity.

Let's see now.

EBRON is considering a trade-up possibility in the 15-25 range and WATKINS is a trade-up possibility in the 3-5 range. And you are asking why on earth it would be worth trading for Ebron but not for Watkins? Is that what you are really asking.

If Ebron's a mediocrity, then presumably Belichick will secure a different TE.

Are you seriously contending that we should consider what it would cost to move up to Pick 4 to get Watkins?

No, I'm contending that this draft has about 4 elite prospects and then drops off to a bunch of excellent prospects who are a notch or two below. Since some of those prospects should fall to the Patriots, according to most mocks/analysis, it doesn't make sense to give up picks just to get higher up on that list, unless you're targeting a specific player that's falling, but not likely to reach you (Clinton-Dix, for example, if he were to start getting passed over).

In a draft like this, you trade up for greatness (i.e. Clowney), for a targeted slider, or not at all, because of the value equations.

Is there a fullabull icon to rate this thread?

No, I'm contending that this draft has about 4 elite prospects and then drops off to a bunch of excellent prospects who are a notch or two below. Since some of those prospects should fall to the Patriots, according to most mocks/analysis, it doesn't make sense to give up picks just to get higher up on that list, unless you're targeting a specific player that's falling, but not likely to reach you (Clinton-Dix, for example, if he were to start getting passed over).

In a draft like this, you trade up for greatness (i.e. Clowney), for a targeted slider, or not at all, because of the value equations.
I agree with what you posted.

However, I think it possible that there are players that Belichick would give a pick to move up a few spots to get. After all, Belichick has traded up in the first about as much as he has traded down.

My preference is to keep the pick. I think that it is a major plus to have a player for the extra year. But, if Belichick gets what he was offered last year, he'll trade down. There is a lot of talent between 30 and 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye