PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots Want To Trade Up In First Round, Draft Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some comments on the most recent comments:

1. Why is it that people don't seem to get that great #1 WR's have little to do with getting their teams into the playoffs. So the question seems obvious. Why are teams in such a hurry to draft one?

2. Think about it. 10 of the 12 best #1 WR's in the league played on teams that DIDN'T make the playoffs. Clearly the relationship between success and great #1 WR's is NOT a good one.

3. That is what makes this seemingly national obsession with WR's so curious to me. Clearly you DON'T need one to succeed, so why is it that we fans keep chasing them like its a quest for the Holy Grail.

4. Now its not that I wouldn't want to have one....or two for that matter, but I'm NOT going to do anything as stupid as waste draft picks in the best draft of the last decade to acquire one, REGARDLESS of how good they might end up being. Even if you were guaranteed that they'd be the next Charles Johnson I wouldn't do it. Remember the next playoff win that Charles Johnson experiences will be his first.

5. 80+ posts on a wildly speculative and unsubstantiated report is probably expected given the length of the off season. Only the thing disappointing is the number of people here who gave it any credence.

6. As to whether BB might pick a TE with his first pick, I'd have to admit its a possibility. However I don't think that any of the 3 guys being considered as round 1 possibilities is worth it. In fact the only guy I think is worth a round 1 pick athletically is Ebron. However even with him, I'm having trouble with his 11% drop rate. That is by far the highest rate of any of the top 4 guys. So forget about trading up for him, I'd have a lot questions even if he fell to 29.

7. I do think we need a TE early and right now my first choice would be Niklas in the 2nd. Great size, length and strength combination, to go along with an acceptable 4.75 40 and a sub 7 three cone time. I'm praying he will be there at 62

8. Ausie is right. The best value in this draft is in the 30-65 range. Unfortunately everyone knows it. Everyone in the bottom 10 in this draft is hoping to god that someone sitting in the top 10 of the 2nd round will make a deal. I'd just LOVE to somehow wind up with 3 picks in that sweet spot. I'm just not very confident that it is going to happen

9. And to Andy who wondered why we are all so interested in DT's when we seem to have so many them coming back, here are a few reasons

a. Wilfolk and Kelly are both well over 30 and coming off serious injuries who knows how well they will play this season, and neither are locks to play in 2o15.

b. Siliga Chris Jones, and Valano, did an admirable job filling in last season. They played way above any expectations we might have had......BUT the are what they are. They are all limited either by size, length, or athletic ability in some fashion. They are a huge asset as back ups, but become liabilities as starters.

c. So with Kelly and Wilfolk's age and infirmities making them short term assets at best, and the rest being somewhat limited as guys with elite potential, there is a desperate need for the Pats to get younger and more talented in the interior of the DL.

Last edited:
Are you talking about Calvin Johnson, PFK? Because I don't even know if Charles Johnson is in the league anymore. ;-)

All ribbing aside, I don't see the Pats making a 'Julio Jones' type trade up, because BB was on the record as telling Dmitroff that he was overpaying for Julio and he wouldn't make that trade.

However, if the Pats really believe there is a special receiver out there who slips, I could see them moving a 1+2 or a 1+3 to move up in range to grab him. And when I say special, I mean like the 'Darrelle Revis' of receivers. That's how highly he would have to grade for the Pats to move up imo.

Of course, now with the Gronk reports of 'taking his time to return', it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats are seriously considering jumping up for Ebron, if he slips far enough and they believe that he is an elite TE.

What makes you believe they were targeting Deandre Hopkins last year?

Teddy bruschi said so earlier and as soon as hopkins was taken at 27 that's when I believe belichick decided to trade down.

Are you talking about Calvin Johnson, PFK? Because I don't even know if Charles Johnson is in the league anymore. ;-)

All ribbing aside, I don't see the Pats making a 'Julio Jones' type trade up, because BB was on the record as telling Dmitroff that he was overpaying for Julio and he wouldn't make that trade.

However, if the Pats really believe there is a special receiver out there who slips, I could see them moving a 1+2 or a 1+3 to move up in range to grab him. And when I say special, I mean like the 'Darrelle Revis' of receivers. That's how highly he would have to grade for the Pats to move up imo.

Of course, now with the Gronk reports of 'taking his time to return', it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats are seriously considering jumping up for Ebron, if he slips far enough and they believe that he is an elite TE.

BB got that one wrong, though. He said Baldwin was just as good an option.

Epic fail

Firstly, IMO I hated the fact we passed on both Dez Bryant and Cordelle Patterson in recent times. Both I wanted, both would have been great additions.
I like Kelvin Benjamin but I like everyone else think its more likely to be defence and look to replace longterm on Wilfork.
As for WR I think we are going to draft Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman early in the 3rd, after dropping out the 2nd and picking up another 3rd next year.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10205039

As for this rumour, I think it happens every year to enable the draft team to gauge what is going on out there with other teams, helping to understand who is taking who via team needs and team visits therefore gauging who may drop.

This is not going to happen in my opinion. Unless the team is disappointed in Aaron Dobson, I cannot see the need for them to move up and draft a top WR.
  1. Edelman
  2. Dobson
  3. LaFell
  4. Amendola
  5. Boyce
  6. Slater
  7. Thompkins
  8. Harrison
  9. Dunn
  10. Orton
We have 10 WRs on the roster currently and I would be shocked if they release/cut any of the top 6.

I'm as optimistic re: Dobson as anyone, probably, but I could definitely see WR being ranked as one of the team's top needs. Personally, I'd put it behind TE, DT, LB, DE, C/G, and S, but Dobson's foot injury came at a really bad time, and it seems like it might have basically robbed him of his first offseason. That's a huge bummer, and if the Pats feel really good about the WR prospects in this draft, I wouldn't mind seeing them grab one at all, especially if they plan on running almost entirely 3WR sets (which would make going into the season with Gronk and Hooman at TE slightly more palatable) and plan to address DE by signing Will Smith. That pretty much leaves DT and WR as the two likely first round candidates.

Also have to wonder which WR prospect(s) the Pats are so enamored with. Watkins is going to be an absolute stud, but I have a hard time believing the Pats would give up the kind of assets that it would take to trade into the top 5.

BB got that one wrong, though. He said Baldwin was just as good an option.

Epic fail

Actually, it's hardly that cut and dry. I will agree on the point that BB's evaluation of Baldwin was incorrect. However trading 5 picks for 1 is a very risky endeavor. Julio Jones is a stud player when healthy, but the risk of putting all your eggs in one basket became apparent in 2013:

Trouble really hit Monday night: The Falcons had their pants pulled down at home by the Jets on Monday Night Football and lost on a last second field goal, 30-28. Twelve hours later, the 1-4 season turned into an absolute disaster: Jones was out for the season with a foot injury.
Say goodnight, Atlanta.

Source:
http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/10/di...-for-julio-jones-in-the-2011-draft-day-trade/

Atlanta ended last season 4-12 and have a lot of holes to fill. Holes that could have been filled by 5 wisely exercised draft picks for instance.

Actually, it's hardly that cut and dry. I will agree on the point that BB's evaluation of Baldwin was incorrect. However trading 5 picks for 1 is a very risky endeavor. Julio Jones is a stud player when healthy, but the risk of putting all your eggs in one basket became apparent in 2013:

Trouble really hit Monday night: The Falcons had their pants pulled down at home by the Jets on Monday Night Football and lost on a last second field goal, 30-28. Twelve hours later, the 1-4 season turned into an absolute disaster: Jones was out for the season with a foot injury.
Say goodnight, Atlanta.

Source:
http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/10/di...-for-julio-jones-in-the-2011-draft-day-trade/

Atlanta ended last season 4-12 and have a lot of holes to fill. Holes that could have been filled by 5 wisely exercised draft picks for instance.

There's no jury out. BB was completely wrong on that one. Trying to walk that back because of an injury 3 years later is weak sauce.

If you want to see where ATL failed last year, it's pretty easy:

BOTH top WRs down
Turner done as RB, Jackson injured
Clabo (OL) was cut loose, because they thought he was done
Starting center retired (2nd rounder replaced him)
Cut Abraham, thinking he was done
Left tackle Sam Baker got hurt and ended up on IR
Weatherspoon and Bierman lost to injury

So, the OL struggled, the RBs were a huge weakeness, the top two WRs were either banged up or unavailable for most of the season, the best coverage LB was on the shelf in the mid-season, the most versatile DL went on the shelf, and the two starting safeties struggled.

That wasn't all getting covered up by a 1st, 2nd and two 4ths.

Last edited:
There's no jury out. BB was completely wrong on that one. Trying to walk that back because of an injury 3 years later is weak sauce.

Are you ordering at a restaurant? LOL. 5 picks vs 1 pick is the point. BB believes in creating quality depth instead of gambling a lot of draft picks to acquire ONE guy who -might- turn out as good as projected, who -might not-, or who -just gets injured-.

You call that philosophy of team-building "epic fail", I call it reasonable considering the history of consistent success that BB has built over the past decade+ that includes successful value-based drafting and pick trades.

I would be pretty upset if they moved up to get a WR in a WR deep draft with all of the other needs on the team

Are you ordering at a restaurant? LOL. 5 picks vs 1 pick is the point. BB believes in creating quality depth instead of gambling a lot of draft picks to acquire ONE guy who -might- turn out as good as projected, who -might not-, or who -just gets injured-.

You call that philosophy of team-building "epic fail", I call it reasonable considering the history of consistent success that BB has built over the past decade+ that includes successful value-based drafting and pick trades.

See my edited post above. Also, note that BB's "quality depth" failed miserably last year at the tackle position, where he was forced to try trading for players and grabbing them off the streets, and that pulling in street FAs is a part of BB's yearly strategy.

I would be pretty upset if they moved up to get a WR in a WR deep draft with all of the other needs on the team
Yup I don't know why they would trade up for a receiver in a draft that's so deep with receiver talent but like you said they have needs elsewhere.

See my edited post above. Also, note that BB's "quality depth" failed miserably last year at the tackle position, where he was forced to try trading for players and grabbing them off the streets, and that pulling in street FAs is a part of BB's yearly strategy.
I don't care what you say, I'm still looking at your new avatar.

right...draft a running back when your center and right guard can't crack open a can of soda never mind a running lane...this idea is almost as dumbfoundingly idiotic as the Johnny Football "rumour".

I think that picking Manziel or Hyde at 29 makes more sense than drafting a WR (other than top 10 picks Watkins and Evans who clearly won't be available).

We have THREE huge holes as we look forward into the next couple of years: RB, TE, OC and backup QB. I'm fine with drafting a DE or LB early (we definitely need the depth), but I suspect that we will have players at these positions added after the draft.

We have lots to pick from this year and next at DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Siliga, Jones, Armstead and Vellano. I don't EXPECT to see a DT until after the 4th. Sure, if the talent is there, Belichick could draft a DT, but it will not because there is a great NEED at that position.

I feel similarly about WR. We have a lot to pick from. We don't know what we have or what we will have. But we don't have a NEED.

I think that picking Manziel or Hyde at 29 makes more sense than drafting a WR (other than top 10 picks Watkins and Evans who clearly won't be available).

We have THREE huge holes as we look forward into the next couple of years: RB, TE, OC and backup QB. I'm fine with drafting a DE or LB early (we definitely need the depth), but I suspect that we will have players at these positions added after the draft.

We have lots to pick from this year and next at DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Siliga, Jones, Armstead and Vellano. I don't EXPECT to see a DT until after the 4th. Sure, if the talent is there, Belichick could draft a DT, but it will not because there is a great NEED at that position.

I feel similarly about WR. We have a lot to pick from. We don't know what we have or what we will have. But we don't have a NEED.

Kelly is a free agent after this season
Silaga is a free agent after this season
Jones is not a starting caliber DT
Vellano is not a starting caliber DT, and may not be a backup caliber DT
Armstead may be an All-Pro. He may also be less than NFL caliber
Wilfork's deal is, essentially, a one year deal with an option, because of his injury

I think you defined need differently than some others will.

Kelly is a free agent after this season
Silaga is a free agent after this season
Jones is not a starting caliber DT
Vellano is not a starting caliber DT, and may not be a backup caliber DT
Armstead may be an All-Pro. He may also be less than NFL caliber
Wilfork's deal is, essentially, a one year deal with an option, because of his injury

I think you defined need differently than some others will.

I think DT is a big need, but Silaga is going to be an ERFA in 2015. So he will be with the Pats next year baring him regressing big time this upcoming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back