PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots sign WR Marqise Lee to 1-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep saying this but none of this is true. They have still 1-2 months to sign the drafted players and depending on how they use their draft picks I doubt that they will need more than 2m to sign them all since the rule of 51 is still in effect.

Similarly, because of the top 51 situation only players that get a contract with a charge bigger than 1.9m will actually hit the cap. There is no problem at all grabbing players on a minimum contract because they fall below the top 51.
I agree. However, I believe our draft number is $2.7M.

When healthy, he can return punts, so there's that. I don't see the downside on this one.

I like the idea that we added another PR who can compete for our WR5/PR position.

This fills the Dorsett role, if healthy.

I like the signing, but I don't think that he is Dorsett replacement. Dorsett was a downfield WR; Lee is not.

With the Pat's cap situation this is like a broke college kid buying Aldi's version of fruit loops and hoping that it doesn't suck...

Its beer cheaper than Natty Light.

The NE WR situation just got worse. This move smells of desperation.

would love to see rashard higgins signed but ok its Lee, maybe it works out and he can stay healthy for 2-3 games a season

I agree. However, I believe our draft number is $2.7M.

Depends on what happens tonight in terms of potential trade downs.

Either way it wont be relevant until the players can take their physicals and whatnot. Hell, in normal years you have rookies signing their contracts just before camp. Who knows whats up in this COVID year.

Its beer cheaper than Natty Light.

The NE WR situation just got worse. This move smells of desperation.

I wouldn't call it desperation, I'd call it making the best of a bad single year cap situation. He's a decent risk/reward budget signing.

I think Bill sees 2020 as a transition to a new competitive playoff team window starting in 2021 and wants to limit the amount of future cap space that he'll tap into, and will round out the roster with draft picks, UFA's, trades, and cheap FA's.

Last edited:
I wanted him in 2014. Kind of a bust but maybe he has some more in the tank.

I wanted him in 2014. Kind of a bust but maybe he has some more in the tank.

In what way is Lee a bust? Being injured for two years doesn't qualify a player as a bust.
If Lee is healthy, he is competitor for a roster spot. The only WR's we have who will clearly be ahead of Lee are Edelman and Harry.

Going into the draft (2013?) here are his weaknesses. But hey, after proving this correct during his time in the NFL, it’s all about to change.

WEAKNESSES

Average size and run strength. Does not break many tackles. Was slowed by nagging injuries, and body is not built to withstand a lot of punishment. Can do a better job securing the ball through traffic -- has shown a tendency to flag the ball. Long-term durability could become an issue.

Going into the draft (2013?) here are his weaknesses. But hey, after proving this correct during his time in the NFL, it’s all about to change.

WEAKNESSES

Average size and run strength. Does not break many tackles. Was slowed by nagging injuries, and body is not built to withstand a lot of punishment. Can do a better job securing the ball through traffic -- has shown a tendency to flag the ball. Long-term durability could become an issue.

So, for you, Lee isn't could enough to compete for our #5 WR position?

Typical Bill signing...throw Schitt against the wall and sign injured guys...miracle if this guy makes the club, no less plays more than 8 games in 2020

After what I saw last season, I don't have a problem with bringing in just about anyone at this point. Seriously, what is there to lose at this point?

After what I saw last season, I don't have a problem with bringing in just about anyone at this point. Seriously, what is there to lose at this point?
And Tompa isn't here to turn his nose up at receivers he doesn't like.

This, ironically, is what gives me more hope for our receivers. Stidham will actually throw it to anyone.

Ian Eagle
« Stidham going DEEP to Lee... »
« Uh oh, Marqise pulled up. I hope this isn’t his quad. How disappointing, on the first play of the 2020 season... »
Well, it happened with the Celtics and Gordon Hayward. At least the Pats aren't paying Lee what Hayward got.

You realize that’s blasphemy, no matter how true, don’t you?

Ian Eagle
« Stidham going DEEP to Lee... »
« Uh oh, Marqise pulled up. I hope this isn’t his quad. How disappointing, on the first play of the 2020 season... »

I'd be so happy just to have a season to watch that I'd listen to Fouts all season (if he was still around)

So, for you, Lee isn't could enough to compete for our #5 WR position?
No not saying that. Picking him up is fine, but I have no expectation he can stay healthy and contribute. I expect he’s nothing more than a camp body. If he proves otherwise excellent, but there’s no reason to expect he will be anything more than an oft injured WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back