PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots Sign Nick Caserio to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Nick, mind making some better draft picks this year? Or better yet, just trade for Beckham Jr.

End of the day it's Bill who makes the drafting decisions...not Caserio.

End of the day it's Bill who makes the drafting decisions...not Caserio.

Seriously. Blaming Caserio for every bad pick would be like blaming Dante Scarnecchia for not calling a timeout at a critical juncture. The buck stops (positively and negatively) with Bill.

Seriously. Blaming Caserio for every bad pick would be like blaming Dante Scarnecchia for not calling a timeout at a critical juncture. The buck stops (positively and negatively) with Bill.
Anything bad that happens next year is totally Scarnecchia’s fault for not being there.

Agree.

Was he even in the mix for the open GM jobs? Did he interview anywhere? I don't recall.

I never read that he interviewed anywhere, I did read he was under consideration but that was the same the previous offseason

Isn't it kind of hard to have great drafts when always picking near the end of every round, year after year?
nonsense

The difference between the resources of the patriots and a really poor team is one pick, a very important pick each year, but one pick.

If you compare a team picking 3rd every year with one picking 30, you get approximately (ignoring comp picks)

Team 1: 3, 35, 67, 99, 131, 163
Team 2: out, 32, 64, 96, 128, 160

It is unreasonable to say a team drafts poorly because they only draft at 32, 64, 96. 128 and 160. The reality is that, other than that first pick that they don't get, they have the same choices to make as the poor team. To put it another way, the draft allows a poor team to get one additional top player. Otherwise, the draft resources of the top and bottom teams are about the same.

nonsense

The difference between the resources of the patriots and a really poor team is one pick, a very important pick each year, but one pick.

If you compare a team picking 3rd every year with one picking 30, you get approximately (ignoring comp picks)

It is unreasonable to say a team drafts poorly because they only draft at 32, 64, 96. 128 and 160. The reality is that, other than that first pick that they don't get, they have the same choices to make as the poor team. To put it another way, the draft allows a poor team to get one additional top player. Otherwise, the draft resources of the top and bottom teams are about the same.
Calling my post "nonsense" seems at least a tad disrespectful especially considering your nonsensical example. I usually don't cross-post but I'll save you the trouble of having to read through posts subsequent to the one you've quoted for my follow-up:

What you suggest simply is a reverse way of looking at it that doesn't hold water in application. Your choices among top available prospects are fewer picking last in each round -- each team ahead of you has more "talent" to choose from. Otherwise, picks wouldn't be weighted in value and teams would not trade multiple picks to move up.

Example: let's say there are 96 players available to be drafted over three rounds. The team picking last in the first round gets to choose from among 65 players in the first round, 33 players in the second round, and one player in the third round. The available talent pool is significantly less picking last.

Consequently the Patriots are disadvantaged, comparatively speaking, picking late in each round. And that ain't "nonsense."

Last edited:
nonsense

Yes, things are roughly the same when you exclude 70% of the bad team’s total draft pick value.

This simply a matter of perspective. I accept that the league has decided by its draft rules that, over the decades, all other teams deserve one more top draft pick than the patriots.

Other than that ONE pick, the patriots pick BEFORE the next pick of every other team.
======
Obviously, how well we use our picks is another matter entirely. Personally, I agree with the NFL. The patriots are good enough to have teams like the jets have an extra pick every year.
======
How well we use our draft resources is another matter entirely. IMO, we have had plenty of draft choices over the years. It is not because of the lack of resources that we don't have a top TE.

Calling my post "nonsense" seems at least a tad disrespectful especially considering your nonsensical example. I usually don't cross-post but I'll save you the trouble of having to read through posts subsequent to the one you've quoted for my follow-up:

What you suggest simply is a reverse way of looking at it that doesn't hold water in application. Your choices among top available prospects are fewer picking last in each round -- each team ahead of you has more "talent" to choose from. Otherwise, picks wouldn't be weighted in value and teams would not trade multiple picks to move up.

Example: let's say there are 96 players available to be drafted over three rounds. The team picking last in the first round gets to choose from among 65 players in the first round, 33 players in the second round, and one player in the third round. The available talent pool is significantly less picking last.

Consequently the Patriots are disadvantaged, comparatively speaking, picking late in each round. And that ain't "nonsense."

This simply a matter of perspective. I accept that the league has decided by its draft rules that, over the decades, all other teams deserve one more top draft pick than the patriots.

Other than that ONE pick, the patriots pick BEFORE the next pick of every other team.
======
Obviously, how well we use our picks is another matter entirely. Personally, I agree with the NFL. The patriots are good enough to have teams like the jets have an extra pick every year.
======
How well we use our draft resources is another matter entirely. IMO, we have had plenty of draft choices over the years. It is not because of the lack of resources that we don't have a top TE.
Believing the world is flat also can be a matter of perspective that doesn't pan out under practical application. The same goes for your backward interpretation of the NFL draft. But believe what you want, however it fails to serve your argument. o_O

Last edited:

Yeah, it’s a really strange hill that some here are looking to die on. Obviously it’s not the be-all and end-all of drafting, but picking last is clearly a disadvantage. Obviously.

I never read that he interviewed anywhere, I did read he was under consideration but that was the same the previous offseason

That's because apparently his contract literally prohibited him from interviewing with other teams (or, at least, gave the Patriots the ability to veto interviews).

This was a big deal; because Caserio does not have final say over the roster, the Patriots are, per NFL rules, supposed to be unable to prevent him from taking a job where he would have it. [That said, the Texans job wouldn't have given him that control, either.]

Last edited:
Not sure what was so bad about the 2015 draft. Shaq Mason, Trey Flowers both secured huge second contracts, Cardona has carved out an important special team role and Darryl Roberts is starting CB for the Jets. Malcolm Brown may not have been great as a 1st rounder but he was solid and is now a starter for a decent Saints defense. Getting 2 or 3 starters/major contributors is all you can expect from a draft and 2015 did that. That draft is at worse middle of the pack in the BB era.

Last edited:
Not sure what was so bad about the 2015 draft. Shaq Mason, Trey Flowers both secured huge second contracts, Cardona has carved out an important special team role and Darryl Roberts is a starting CB for the Jets. Malcolm Brown may not have been great as a 1st rounder but he was solid and is now a starter for a decent Saints defense. Getting 2 or 3 starters/major contributors is all you can expect from a draft and 2015 did that. That draft is at worse middle of the pack in the BB era.
I was high on Roberts that one hurts

I hope they give him free reign to make the picks on the draft. Until now I think it's all Bill and he has minimum input.

Hope they also have time to sign scouts who don't suck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes