PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots fired up over what they've seen from Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
tenor.gif
[/QUOT

Haha - You'll know it when you see it.

I think Collins has been humbled so to speak. Realizes the mistakes he made before. Looking for redemption. I also think there's nothing worse than getting traded and watching that team win a SB a few months later.

I think this defense is experienced enough that Belichick is going to be aggressive in his playcalling, it will always be game specific, but when it matters I see him more like Flores than his predecessors.

Re: Chung, most of his improvement in his Pats career 2.0 has been from the Pats using him more wisely. They are putting him in a position to succeed rather than square block round hole etc. I don’t think it was a Chung epiphany that led him to do better this time around, although I’m sure being more circumspect has aided him.

You could say the same about 32. The move to safety saved Devon’s career.

I’m hoping for the same with Collins. A bit wiser and also being put in a better position to succeed should make him a stud this year.

Last edited:
Here's the point. Pat Chung left here in disgrace. Then he was worse with the Eagles. :eek: He comes back with his tail between his legs and then suddenly he becomes a consistent rock in one of the best secondaries in the league. Why? Because (according to Bill) he learned how to use his skills better.

I for one look for Jaime Collins to be our most dynamic defensive player this season. Why, because Bill, THIS time around, will use him "better". He probably won't ask to "set the edge much. Instead of playing him outside on the edge in running situations, he'll be in the middle with KVN using his speed to run down RB's Using his explosiveness to create a vertical threat up the middle.

And although he's not even in the same breath as Lawrence Taylor, he's the closest thing BB has had to him while he's been with the Pats. It took some time, but Bill also learned to deal with Lawrence's free-lancing over the years, partially by making Taylor a smarter player. Remember it's NOT freelancing when you make the play. (as Taylor did so often)

Believe me, it WILL be better for Collins this time around. The bad news will be that I expect him to have SUCH a good upcoming year, that the Pats will unlikely be able to afford him for the 2021 season. But I can live with that. ;)

I would and can never dispute your assessment, my issue is that I am not at all surprised at reports that the "Patriots are all fired up", I expect them to be fired up about him as Collins has a lot of skills and abilities.. I was a huge fan of Collins when he was here and expect nothing different now.

IMO the Pats D is a much better defensive unit with playing, their "playground defense" has gotten better on paper with more possibilities..

Re: Chung, most of his improvement in his Pats career 2.0 has been from the Pats using him more wisely. They are putting him in a position to succeed rather than square block round hole etc. I don’t think it was a Chung epiphany that led him to do better this time around, although I’m sure being more circumspect has aided him.

I’m hoping for the same with Collins. A bit wiser and also being put in a better position to succeed should make him a stud this year.
Yep. BB is on record as saying he screwed up and is using him smarter this time around. With that said I do think Chung has improved as a player

Not to be argumentative but McCourty made the Pro Bowl as a corner, his twin brother has played corner his entire career and not for Belichick. Devin switched to free safety at a time our corners and total team D weren't very good and we needed to him there to erase mistakes by the Sterling Moore's of the world.

Jamie Collins was our best defender the entirety of his rookie contract except for the weeks leading up to the trading deadline in his final year. He will be better in NE due to NE's team being better, being surrounded by better players, it still is a team game.

Anyone ascribing "repentance" on Collin's part is being absurd. He wants one more monster contract, he'll play well... it won't be because he has changed. He was always damn good when his motivation was channeled in the proper direction.

Not to be argumentative but McCourty made the Pro Bowl as a corner, his twin brother has played corner his entire career and not for Belichick. Devin switched to free safety at a time our corners and total team D weren't very good and we needed to him there to erase mistakes by the Sterling Moore's of the world.

Jamie Collins was our best defender the entirety of his rookie contract except for the weeks leading up to the trading deadline in his final year. He will be better in NE due to NE's team being better, being surrounded by better players, it still is a team game.

Anyone ascribing "repentance" on Collin's part is being absurd. He wants one more monster contract, he'll play well... it won't be because he has changed. He was always damn good when his motivation was channeled in the proper direction.

Well said about the motivation. Not to be argumentative myself, but Collins wasn’t our best defender while he was here by any means. He was the most athletic defender and perhaps the biggest playmaker for a stretch, but he was always too vulnerable against certain attacks to be our best defender. Wilfork, Hightower, McCourty, Gilmore, Revis, and probably Jones were better overall players when on the field. Maybe Chung too. Collins was a great complimentary piece who could excel when the rest of the defense was extremely solid allowing him more ability to pass rush and freelance within the system. He was also known for being overly aggressive agains the run and pass by trying to make big highlight plays instead of smarter plays.

You can argue with me! I’ll just pretend you’re my girlfriend and then it will feel normal.

You’re absolutely right that McCourty had a good rookie year at CB. Then something happened and he regressed and kept getting burned. I think the move the S saved his career, or at least really improved it.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what a more mature and highly motivated Collins can do.

Last edited:
Low risk : not expensive, nor would a turn south destroy a veteran team.

Other fans peg BB asa jerk, but his refusal to bash someone headed out the door + his willingness to bring them back leads to wins and contributes to championships.

Amazing how just a couple years ago the LB's were a major concern and are now a team strength. Really excited to see how BB mixes and matches the front 7 talent.

I don't know what to expect from JC but I feel he will surprise some people.

I'm not surprised. The guy is still very much in his prime and is exceptionally talented. If he buys in he can be a huge asset. I loved bringing him back when it happened and think it will pay off big time.
Classic Pats. We ship him off then immediately go to three straight Super Bowls winning two, then bring him back motivated to an iteration of the team that could become amazing defensively.

Well said about the motivation. Not to be argumentative myself, but Collins wasn’t our best defender while he was here by any means. He was the most athletic defender and perhaps the biggest playmaker for a stretch, but he was always too vulnerable against certain attacks to be our best defender. Wilfork, Hightower, McCourty, Gilmore, Revis, and probably Jones were better overall players when on the field. Maybe Chung too. Collins was a great complimentary piece who could excel when the rest of the defense was extremely solid allowing him more ability to pass rush and freelance within the system. He was also known for being overly aggressive agains the run and pass by trying to make big highlight plays instead of smarter plays.
In 2014 he lead the team in linebacker snaps, tackles, interceptions, forced fumbles, passes defensed at LB and was 4th in sacks...

He received All Pro and Pro Bowl nods in 2015...

So yeah, beyond leading us in just about every statistical category he was far from the best defender.

Gilmore wasn’t on the Pats when Collins was here.

Gilmore wasn’t on the Pats when Collins was here.

His presence on the Bills and future potential with the Patriots made him a better Patriots defender than Collins.

In 2014 he lead the team in linebacker snaps, tackles, interceptions, forced fumbles, passes defensed at LB and was 4th in sacks...

He received All Pro and Pro Bowl nods in 2015...

So yeah, beyond leading us in just about every statistical category he was far from the best defender.

Look, if he were truly the best defender on the Pats from the time he was drafted, I don’t think he gets jettisoned for practically nothing (basically an early third round pick instead of a compensatory late third round pick the next year) in the midst of a Super Bowl run. And if he were that fantastic, I think the Pats not only keep him in 2016 and try to fix his problems but also try hard to-sign him. Reports of negotiations were that they basically bailed without even talking after taking note of what he was likely to get on the open market. I think it’s obvious the Patriots saw him as a very good player (despite some big gaps) but not an absolute core player to build around.

Look, if he were truly the best defender on the Pats from the time he was drafted, I don’t think he gets jettisoned for practically nothing (basically an early third round pick instead of a compensatory late third round pick the next year) in the midst of a Super Bowl run. And if he were that fantastic, I think the Pats not only keep him in 2016 and try to fix his problems but also try hard to-sign him. Reports of negotiations were that they basically bailed without even talking after taking note of what he was likely to get on the open market. I think it’s obvious the Patriots saw him as a very good player (despite some big gaps) but not an absolute core player to build around.
He wanted a lot of money, he became the highest paid inside linebacker in the NFL when the Browns paid him.

The Pats traded Chandler Jones before the season even began because he wanted 100 million dollars and he got it. It doesn't matter how good the player is if you don't have the money to sign him.

They trade players based off what they're going to make, not what they're making. And when they have held on too long, whether it be Collins or Malcolm Butler, it has come back to burn them. Some players don't shut their mouth and play ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes