PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Report: Patriots Acquire DeVante Parker from Dolphins

Stop thinking so much, then. It doesn’t help you. Gave up too much?? Do tell.

If they didn’t get a 5 this year, I would agree, but they did. You realize that a 3rd in 2023 is not valued by teams like a 3rd in 2022, right? It is closer to a 4th this year. So think of it like this:

Parker and a 2022 5th
for
a 2022 4th
Correct - which basically means we got him for a pick swap, which is great value given he's under contract for 2 years @ $6m. I also like that we're getting an extra choice this year, and #158 in a deep draft could be a keeper or capital to use in a move-up.

It's also a good move for Miami, as they don't need Parker with the WR moves they've made, it frees up cap space, and with all their draft choices they're not really losing anything by waiting for a year for the 3rd. It's like a comp pick for them.

Parker is similar to Gordon in 2018 in that they are big X WRs that offer an upgrade on the outside. I'd argue Parker has more juice than Gordon as he's produced like a high end WR2 recently.

Metchie is now a good fit in the draft as a deep threat that has a history with Mac & won't have to be relied on as a rookie. Add Trey Flowers & a NT early and this team should be in better shape than last year.

So how many picks do we have now for the Draft?
• Round 1: 21st overall
• Round 2: 54th overall
• Round 3: 85th overall
• Round 4: 127th overall
• Round 5: 158th overall (from Miami in Parker trade)
• Round 5: 170th overall (from Tampa Bay for G Shaq Mason)*
• Round 6: 200th overall
• Round 6: 210th overall (from Los Angeles for RB Sony Michel)

Correct - which basically means we got him for a pick swap, which is great value given he's under contract for 2 years @ $6m. I also like that we're getting an extra choice this year, and #158 in a deep draft could be a keeper or capital to use in a move-up.

It's also a good move for Miami, as they don't need Parker with the WR moves they've made, it frees up cap space, and with all their draft choices they're not really losing anything by waiting for a year for the 3rd. It's like a comp pick for them.
I guess they're gambling that Parker with them is more harmful than the Patriots having him.

Nice trade, i like it like just about everybody else. I am curious as to why parker has so many hamstring issues, is it lack of training, stretching etc. and if he had that many hamies in toasty fla whats going to happen up here?... asking for a friend

Parker is similar to Gordon in 2018 in that they are big X WRs that offer an upgrade on the outside. I'd argue Parker has more juice than Gordon as he's produced like a high end WR2 recently.

Metchie is now a good fit in the draft as a deep threat that has a history with Mac & won't have to be relied on as a rookie. Add Trey Flowers & a NT early and this team should be in better shape than last year.
I'd be surprised if we don't see a CB or Edge signing. That would give us more flexibility. We know Bill doesn't want to be tied down. I'm expecting one of Gilmore or Flowers.

I wouldn't mind Metchie but I'm not touching in the 2nd like some want. Maybe not until 4th or late 3rd. I can't overpay for him.

Interesting thought...I still think CB or trading back will be the most likely scenario...If Jameson Williams is still there at 21, things are going to get interesting.

How do you like this move? Our receiving corp just got a lot better imo
Absolutely nothing wrong with the trade for the Patriots. Not sure about Miami's thought process here... they're dumb is all I can come up with.

Parker is good, borderline-ish #1 WR, obviously he needs to stay healthy . He's similar to Robbie Anderson who has come up as a possible trade acquisition for the Patriots.

I absolutely love Jameson Williams... he's going to be a major stud NFL receiver... if the Patriots get him then I don't care who else they draft... it's an A+.

Yea MIA looks pretty solid in 2023 draft w/ Parker trade.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the trade for the Patriots. Not sure about Miami's thought process here... they're dumb is all I can come up with.

Parker is good, borderline-ish #1 WR, obviously he needs to stay healthy . He's similar to Robbie Anderson who has come up as a possible trade acquisition for the Patriots.

I absolutely love Jameson Williams... he's going to be a major stud NFL receiver... if the Patriots get him then I don't care who else they draft... it's an A+.

I’m worried about the eagles drafting Williams with 3 picks in the top 20…right before NE.

I remember in 2020 when Flores fired Chad O’Shea because he was trying to run a Patriots style EP offense in 2019 and it was “too hard” for the players. I also remember that the one receiver who had a ton of production despite that fact that year was DeVante Parker (1200+ yards).

Bill's version of "Can't beat him. sign him!" move, this guy always eats our defense for lunch.

Mac10/TommyBrady12 is the opposite of mosslost.
Anyone that:

1. Has an avatar of Giants sacking Brady in SB 42;
2. Says the Helmet catch was the greatest reception ever;
3. Makes fun of Brady/Patriots for losing two SBs against the Giants.

Is not a Patriots fan. Full stop.

It’s certainly better than nothing, but a WR needs to be taken no later than day 2.

Agree completely with this.The Patriots need to be able to put up 30+ against pretty much every contender in the AFC, and while the Parker acquisition helps it still doesn’t give them the explosiveness needed to be a true contender. And while a game plan of running the ball heavily and limiting drive opportunities can work it goes the window once you are down by two or more scores. They still need a playmaker at WR who threatens to go the distance any time he touches the ball, so if they can get one like Jameson Williams in the draft they need to make that pick, if not then do it in day two. Once they have that they should be on good shape at the skill positions, and most of the rest will have to come from Jones development.

I'd be surprised if we don't see a CB or Edge signing. That would give us more flexibility. We know Bill doesn't want to be tied down. I'm expecting one of Gilmore or Flowers.

I wouldn't mind Metchie but I'm not touching in the 2nd like some want. Maybe not until 4th or late 3rd. I can't overpay for him.

Agreed. My preference is getting Travis Jones via trade down & another top 50 player hopefully.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back