PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Odell to NE talks heating up?

OBJ is scheduled to come back in early November. How much would it cost to get him for half a season next year?

He will only be at the 9 month mark in November and almost all ACLs take 12 months for a top athlete like WR. OBJ's 2022 season is almost completely lost. Much rather have Metchie III.

He will only be at the 9 month mark in November and almost all ACLs take 12 months for a top athlete like WR. OBJ's 2022 season is almost completely lost. Much rather have Metchie III.

I think it's more like 6-9 months from what I'm hearing. Godwin, for example, was injured in December and they say he'll return in September.

which means no training camp, it would be tough for him to pick up this offense, without OTAs and training camp.

Let’s not forget Mac was a rookie and those 2 came to a new system.
We need to get Mac someone who can win their 1 on 1 matchups regularly.
which means no training camp, it would be tough for him to pick up this offense, without OTAs and training camp.
I’d much rather trade a future say third or second even to move up if they think Jameson Williams is a Jamar Chase kind of talent.

I think it's more like 6-9 months from what I'm hearing. Godwin, for example, was injured in December and they say he'll return in September.

Yes they can return, Dec to Sept is 10 months, but they are not 100%. OBJ will be 30, not know the system, and not be 100%. Hard pass for 2022.

Where did you hear 6 months to return to the NFL from an ACL tear?

And be 30 years old and not be 100% and not know the playbook as you point out. The broadcast announcers will talk about him a lot, there is that advantage.

Yes they can return, Dec to Sept is 10 months, but they are not 100%. OBJ will be 30, not know the system, and not be 100%. Hard pass for 2022.

Where did you hear 6 months to return to the NFL from an ACL tear?

For some exceptional athletes it’s 6 months

Although some exceptional athletes can return to sports in six months, a more realistic scenario after an ACL tear is a recovery time of at least eight to nine months.

We need to get Mac someone who can win their 1 on 1 matchups regularly.

I’d much rather trade a future say third or second even to move up if they think Jameson Williams is a Jamar Chase kind of talent.
He isn’t Jamar Chase.

I expect our current receivers to give our passing game a lift from 2021. After all,
1) Our QB has had a year to work with almost all of them.
2) We've upgraded from Harry to Parker.
3) As a 3rd down back, we now have White and Stevenson over Bolden and a little bit of Stevenson.
==================
4) For me, we are drafting and signing acquisitions primarily for 2023, although we can hope that any addition will be useful in the playoff run.
I want Odell for the playoff run, but primarily for 2023. If we sign him soon, he will have a year to learn the playbook and work with Jones.
I don't expect to re-sign BOTH Agholor and Myers. We could get replacements in 2023, but a year in the offense will help a free agent or a draftee.

4) For me, we are drafting and signing acquisitions primarily for 2023, although we can hope that any addition will be useful in the playoff run.
I want Odell for the playoff run, but primarily for 2023. If we sign him soon, he will have a year to learn the playbook and work with Jones.
I don't expect to re-sign BOTH Agholor and Myers. We could get replacements in 2023, but a year in the offense will help a free agent or a draftee.

Metchie III is recovering from an ACL, he can learn for a year, will drop in the draft, and is a whole lot cheaper. Plus a mid-round quick slot guy, both for late 2022 and 2023.

Dood, if you don't like OBJ that is fine, no need to make things up. ACL's in the 2020's are 6-9 month recovery time. Injured in February, August to November recovery. If signed he would be in house for training camp to learn the system do the walkthroughs etc. If 6 months he is practicing before the season starts. Not saying they should sign him, but he should be back in plenty of time to help if he can. Sign him for 2 years, cheap first year, heavily backloaded easy to cut second year. That way if there are issues this year you still have him locked up next year.

while missing camp doesn't help, do you think Beckham working with Chad O'Shea in 2020 could help with a transition to the New England offense?

Last edited:
The Raiders are not trading Renfrow. Still hard to understand why Pats did not pick him.

renfrow is about to get 18-20mil a season. Will they really look to pay two WR’s 50 million a year average, not to mention Waller. That’s why I could see them trading him for the right price.

A WR who has previously clicked with Carr (NA) and a second isn’t bad value if they don’t see them being able to pay him in that range.

Last edited:

Not enough cap space to sign draft picks.

Agholar seems like he's the primary candidate to get cut...it would give us an additional $5 million in cap space.

Not enough cap space to sign draft picks.

There is over $25M easily available. I don't understand all the handwringing.

$22.4M (Judon, Henry, Smith, Bourne, Andrews, Mills) None of these change compensation levels, just moves salary to e new bonus.
$ 2.3M Parker
--------
$24. 7M

In addition, we will end up paying at least $2M less for a punter (call it $2.3M less) compared to bailey's current contract.

Now the total is $27M "easily" available plus the current $1M.

That is without ANY cuts, trades or extensions.

Agholar seems like he's the primary candidate to get cut...it would give us an additional $5 million in cap space.
Wouldn't his dead money be a negative for us knowing he is in year two of his contract??

cut or extended

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back