PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Edelman Injury Believed to be Torn ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the rush? I don't know I wouldn't wanna wait a day if I had a tore ****ing knee cap

What the hell are you talking about ?

Do you think the tests will magically make everything better for Edelman ? The injury already happened it is not like he would be operated any sooner given that ACL injuries usually involve swelling that needs to subside before anything can be done. There literally is no upside to rushing a diagnosis while being in Detroit instead of just traveling home and getting everything checked out in Boston.

You know in a billion dollar industry like the NFL I don't know why they can't do a damn MRI within hours of the injury. Then again, I've never had an MRI so I don't know how much more complicated it is than your average x ray
Several theories from someone who has gotten more than his fair share of MRIs, although someone with actual medical experience could clean some of these loose thoughts up. Here's my basic framework. Of course, none of it is worth a damn :

1) They often use a contrast dye to get a better look. I've had some doctors order blood work the day before the test to make sure my blood count was right and that my kidneys could process the removal of the injected dye, since it is technically radioactive. Perhaps they want to run the blood work, first?

2) They may benefit from waiting for the swelling to go down a bit, although I really don't know how much this would pertain to an MRI within a 24 hr period. It probably wouldn't, seeing as how we've seen other players have their test on the knee in the same day. Again, perhaps someone who works in the field could weigh in.

3) They're already pretty sure that the ACL is torn, and are simply using it as a confirmatory test; therefore, there's really no rush to get it done in the wee hours of the night after the game/early morning. They may also want him to fly back with the team and have it done in their facilities, where their docs will examine and diagnose. (My theory)

4) For all we know, he may have already had it, or could be having it right now. We just won't know until the word leaks out later today.

Edit: I see luuked has covered some of the same thoughts while I was posting.

What the hell are you talking about ?

Do you think the tests will magically make everything better for Edelman ? The injury already happened it is not like he would be operated any sooner given that ACL injuries usually involve swelling that needs to subside before anything can be done. There literally is no upside to rushing a diagnosis while being in Detroit instead of just traveling home and getting everything checked out in Boston.
Can you get bent with the magically make it better garbage? I'm speaking strictly from Edelman's standpoint. If I right now tore my ACL my ass would be on my way to the ER and I'd hope to get a scan that same day. I get immediate x rays when I break a bone. Is an MRI much more complicated that they can't just do it the same day?

Several theories from someone who has gotten more than his fair share of MRIs, although someone with actual medical experience could clean some of these loose thoughts up. Here's my basic framework. Of course, none of it is worth a damn :

1) They often use a contrast dye to get a better look. I've had some doctors order blood work the day before the test to make sure my blood count was right and that my kidneys could process the removal of the injected dye, since it is technically radioactive. Perhaps they want to run the blood work, first?

2) They may benefit from waiting for the swelling to go down a bit, although I really don't know how much this would pertain to an MRI within a 24 hr period. It probably wouldn't, seeing as how we've seen other players have their test on the knee in the same day. Again, perhaps someone who works in the field could weigh in.

3) They're already pretty sure that the ACL is torn, and are simply using it as a confirmatory test; therefore, there's really no rush to get it done in the wee hours of the night after the game/early morning. They may also want him to fly back with the team and have it done in their facilities, where their docs will examine and diagnose. (My theory)

4) For all we know, he may have already had it, or could be having it right now. We just won't know until the word leaks out later today.

Edit: I see luuked has covered some of the same thoughts while I was posting.
Thanks, 1 and 2 was basically what I wanted to know

Can you get bent with the magically make it better garbage? I'm speaking strictly from Edelman's standpoint. If I right now tore my ACL my ass would be on my way to the ER and I'd hope to get a scan that same day. I get immediate x rays when I break a bone. Is an MRI much more complicated that they can't just do it the same day?

Then stop demanding instant MRIs during away games. That is a silly request with no reasonable justification.

Edelman knows exactly what the diagnosis is. It is like @supafly says just a MRI to confirm.

Then stop demanding instant MRIs during away games. That is a silly request with no reasonable justification.

Edelman knows exactly what the diagnosis is. It is like @supafly says just a MRI to confirm.
Better yet: stop assuming it's about instant gratification and maybe your impulse to be a condescending halfwit won't be so irresistible

FvfjR1Q.gif

This sucks.

You can hope all you want, but you are probably not going to get an MRI that quickly anywhere, having had a few knee related visits to ER's and Dr's, nothing happens that fast in the ortho world...

An MRI is probably not more complicated than an xray, more uncomfortable but not more complicated for the patient, an ACL tear is not a medical emergency.. they are probably waiting until they get back to Boston to use their own resources which they trust.. if it is torn there will be consultation and will probably wait until the swelling goes down before they operate..

Pat's still have great weapons and a whole season to develop the offense. Can't win it all without Edelman? Tom Brady: " Hold my beer"

So sad to see him down, but i am happy that he's in good spirits, Let's be optmistic, but if it's not the case, let's try to see the bright side: 1. He will have plenty time to recover from this serious injury. 2. Next year Dola is probably gone, so Carr will have time to ajust to our O 3. Edelman won't take any hits this year, he will be as 'fresh as lettuce' :(

Huge loss if true. Not just from what he brings to the table on the field, but also for the leadership and never say die attitude that Brady also exhibits on the sideline during the game.

Now, that being said, the Patriots started building this WR corps last season to put redundancies in place for this situation. Edelman hasn't exactly been an iron man to this point in his career. Dola (who is an injury waiting to happen himself), Cooks, and Hogan all bring attitubutes to the receiver corps that Edelman brought. All three are capable of getting in and out of their cuts quickly, Hogan and Cooks are capable of getting deep, and Dola and Cooks are capable of taking a simple hitch route the distance. That's to say nothing of the stable of pass catching backs and Gronk coupled with what I expect to be more growth for Mitchell in his second season.

So yes, Edelman will be missed if he tore his ACL. The team may even need to go through an adjustment period on offense for a couple of games. But they have the depth and redundancies in place needed to survive his injury and still go deep.

Last edited:
Wes Welker blew out his knee on a non-contact cut as well. This is a huge loss for the Patriots. We're thinking of you Jules!

I've had my fair share of MRIs done, and while I'm not a doctor, there are several things I've learned along the years about MRIs vs. X-Rays, or even CT:

1. An MRI machine is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than X-ray (couple of million of dollars vs. several thousands), and the test is also substantially more expensive.
2. An MRI test takes longer, 15-20 minutes vs. seconds
3. An MRI machine requires higher trained techs
4. An MRI test may require contrast (though not always), which complicates things
5. If contrast is required, blood test will also need to be drawn to determine kidney functinality (to make sure your kidneys can filter out the chemical in the contrast) - that blood work, unless done in an E.R., will never come back within minutes - probably next day.
6. Lastly, give the all of the above, orthopedic injuries are not life threatening (unless we're talking neck/spine here), and therefore can wait until the player gets back to his team's base, and have it done at the local/trusted hospital. Anything life threatening, like a head or spine injury, and the player would get transferred immeidately to the local hospital at that city, and not wait for the trip back home.

Now side questions: Can anyone recall a player who was suspected to have torn his ACL/MCL, but was later on (via MRI) it was found to have been just a bad sprain? In other words, I'm trying to guage how reliable these prelimnary 'suspiciouns' are on averag, when it comes to a knee injury, before an MRI was actually performed.

I choose to believe that I'm the one who hit the Powerball on Wednesday night. Also, that my wife will eventually come around to the idea of letting me hang a "boobs of the day" calendar on our front door (my idea, don't steal it).

Don't underestimate the power of "choose to believe." It saved Tinkerbell in live Peter Pan performances. It's what kept the US economy "functioning" since 2008.

I've had my fair share of MRIs done, and while I'm not a doctor, there are several things I've learned along the years about MRIs vs. X-Rays, or even CT:

1. An MRI machine is SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than X-ray (couple of million of dollars vs. several thousands), and the test is also substantially more expensive.
2. An MRI test takes longer, 15-20 minutes vs. seconds
3. An MRI machine requires higher trained techs
4. An MRI test may require contrast (though not always), which complicates things
5. If contrast is required, blood test will also need to be drawn to determine kidney functinality (to make sure your kidneys can filter out the chemical in the contrast) - that blood work, unless done in an E.R., will never come back within minutes - probably next day.
6. Lastly, give the all of the above, orthopedic injuries are not life threatening (unless we're talking neck/spine here), and therefore can wait until the player gets back to his team's base, and have it done at the local/trusted hospital. Anything life threatening, like a head or spine injury, and the player would get transferred immeidately to the local hospital at that city, and not wait for the trip back home.

Now side questions: Can anyone recall a player who was suspected to have torn his ACL/MCL, but was later on (via MRI) it was found to have been just a bad sprain? In other words, I'm trying to guage how reliable these prelimnary 'suspiciouns' are on averag, when it comes to a knee injury, before an MRI was actually performed.
The error is usually the other way - the MRI shows an injury not thought to be present (when it comes to torn ligaments).

The error is usually the other way - the MRI shows an injury not thought to be present (when it comes to torn ligaments).

ugh.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back