PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Edelman Injury Believed to be Torn ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good and experienced Ortho doc can diagnose a torn ACL by physical exam in like 5 minutes. Per: my Ortho doc....Ive seen him a lot lol

Also I read an interesting paper on ACL's a while back, in cases like this it is likely the ACL had some weakness already, it was likely to happen at some point either last night or sometime in the season.

Those numbers are really misleading as a lot of Edelman's missed games came in 2015 when the other WR were LaFell (in his bad second year) and Keshawn Martin. Between Cooks, Hogan and the receiving backs we're far more ready now.

Basically we replace Edelman with Cooks, add more versatile RB and have Hogan as a 2nd year Patriot, not a 1st. The injury sucks but those stats mean little.

Would not be surprised if the short-term answer was to play Cooks on the inside a lot more. I don't think we have anybody else you could run those short routes as well as Cooks cat with Edelman hurt. We already do have Hogan for the Deep balls. It may be a more physical style of play than Cooks is used to but it's a role he could serve and he would be extremely effective as a a short-yardage receiver. Not quite so physical but he can grab and run like anybody. That should be good for a lot of the YACs we'll be missing

Any good and experienced Ortho doc can diagnose a torn ACL by physical exam in like 5 minutes. Per: my Ortho doc....Ive seen him a lot lol

Also I read an interesting paper on ACL's a while back, in cases like this it is likely the ACL had some weakness already, it was likely to happen at some point either last night or sometime in the season.
I have always been suspect that these "non-contact" injuries were tearing healthy ligaments. If there is underlying damage, what exactly is causing it? Can it be identified before it ruptures? And most importantly, could anything be done to prevent rupture if you knew there was a problem?

Those numbers are really misleading as a lot of Edelman's missed games came in 2015 when the other WR were LaFell (in his bad second year) and Keshawn Martin. Between Cooks, Hogan and the receiving backs we're far more ready now.

Basically we replace Edelman with Cooks, add more versatile RB and have Hogan as a 2nd year Patriot, not a 1st. The injury sucks but those stats mean little.
I agree. The stats weren't meant to be anything but what they are...Stats. It wasn't implied to suggest that the offense will be spiraling down the toilet bowl.

I posted in the other thread as well. If the Patriots truly believed it was torn, why was Edelman's leg not in a brace of some sort when he was carted to the Team Bus?

The Ice bag they bring to him on the bus.. But no brace? No immobilizer?

I just texted my pal up in Boston. With my take on this. With myself having had a complete dislocation of the knee with an evolution fracture last year. And then a scope to remove the loose bone and a clean up procedure. I can tell you I've seen a lot of orthopedic surgeons for checkups and resulting PT. So anyhoo, you can do a (good) MRI as long as there's not a lot of swelling and soft tissue damage. most MRI's are a confirmation tool for what good surgeons already know. What's a positive sign about Edelman is. He got the standard knee joint evaluation in the med tent and in the locker rm. And later was seen with crutches only (no air splint or bledsoe brace. So hopfully this is a 6-8 week thing.

I just texted my pal up in Boston. With my take on this. With myself having had a complete dislocation of the knee with an evolution fracture last year. And then a scope to remove the loose bone and a clean up procedure. I can tell you I've seen a lot of orthopedic surgeons for checkups and resulting PT. So anyhoo, you can do a (good) MRI as long as there's not a lot of swelling and soft tissue damage. most MRI's are a confirmation tool for what good surgeons already know. What's a positive sign about Edelman is. He got the standard knee joint evaluation in the med tent and in the locker rm. And later was seen with crutches only (no air splint or bledsoe brace. So hopfully this is a 6-8 week thing.

MMM, nothing like a bowl of paint chips while watching the loony tunes on saterday morning.

Last edited:
I've always felt this offense ran through Edelman, not Gronk.

Gronk being on the field makes things easier for everyone else. We likely wouldn't have been down by that large of a margin in the first place in the SB if he was playing. Gronk IMO, is still the second most important player on this team.

The Ice bag they bring to him on the bus.. But no brace? No immobilizer?

Not sure you really need this if there is not overall structural issue. It is not like his legs turn to pudding without an ACL.

The thing I come back to is that it was a non contact injury. I would be more cautiously optimistic for bone bruises or something comparatively minor if that happened because of a hit.

Can you get bent with the magically make it better garbage? I'm speaking strictly from Edelman's standpoint. If I right now tore my ACL my ass would be on my way to the ER and I'd hope to get a scan that same day. I get immediate x rays when I break a bone. Is an MRI much more complicated that they can't just do it the same day?

It's ok to admit it man, YOU just want to know what happened to his knee sooner. :)

I have always been suspect that these "non-contact" injuries were tearing healthy ligaments. If there is underlying damage, what exactly is causing it? Can it be identified before it ruptures? And most importantly, could anything be done to prevent rupture if you knew there was a problem?

He likely took a hit in practice and partially tore it and just didnt know. I think if it is partially torn you pretty much need to have it replaced as the chances of complete tear are pretty high.

He likely took a hit in practice and partially tore it and just didnt know. I think if it is partially torn you pretty much need to have it replaced as the chances of complete tear are pretty high.

With the amount of quick movement changes as inside receiver and the mass of modern NFL players I would not automatically assume that something happened a few days earlier and it just blew out yesterday evening. The amount of pressure modern NFL knees have to withstand is insane. Everything is getting bigger and faster due to better training, nutrition and sport science and those non contact ACLs might be the prices that are paid for that.

Call Wes Welker

I am not really referring to a partial tear, but rather more subtle damage and weakening. These "non contact" injuries do not involve tremendous forces at the moment of injury. Medical science is not where is needs to be in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back