PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Edelman Injury Believed to be Torn ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many, as soon as I saw it happen, with that reach for the knee, I thought ACL. It so reminded me of Welker's injury. If he did tear it, it's a huge loss for the offense. They have options and depth though. The Pats won it without Gronk last year, so do your job & plug and play.

Tell him to put down the molly and get in pads. :D

Seriously we will fine, this is the deepest WR core we had in a while, just need to make sure Brady stays healthy and that the O-line does their jobs when the real season starts and that hopefully Gronk can have a 16 game regular season and not disappear for the playoffs.
It will be a tougher road without JE who is clearly the best WR we had, but I'm sure the rest of the guys will step up to the plate.
Danny Amendola can play like JE, may not be as physical but he can play well and replicate JE in some areas.

What a story it would be.

Wes Welker has enough left in the tank.

He comes back for one last season and finally gets his ring and helps the Pats overcome Edelman's loss.

Last edited:
Call Wes Welker

That's a pathetic response. He's 35 years old, and has been out of the league for 3 years. Not a chance he has anywhere near the legs to compete in the NFL anymore. Not to mention he concussion history

Paging Bam Childress

It's a Roman thing...I'm pretty sure it's in the Aeneid. His bros called Julius Caesar, Julian, right after they crossed the Rubicon. Look it up.

...that's the best I can do.

...waiting for someone to actually google it and tell me I'm wrong...as good a distraction as any.

Last edited:
Nobody on the roster can get open as instantly as JE11. It takes away a facet of our offense that just can't be replaced. We can still produce but it will be harder. The protection needs to give Brady more time. Our backs need to make up some of it as well.

I'm listening to 98.5 and they're saying Breer confirmed it is a complete ACL tear. I'm sorry I have no links, as I'm obviously listening to it on the radio, so take it with a grain of salt.

As I said in another thread, Austin Carr's combine scores are pretty similar to Edelman. Extremely good broad jump, shuttle, and three cone. Obviously there's no guarantee he can play football like Edelman, but early looks in the preseason have been promising and he has all the physical tools. I suspect he'll make the roster but won't get much run except on special teams, like Edelman himself when Welker was healthy.

Amendola will probably take over the Edelman role. He's as healthy as he's been in years and it's a luxury to be able to have a top-15 slot guy replace your top-3 slot guy. The question with Danny is how long he can stay healthy. They also have a ton of backs they can put in the slot and a healthy Gronk.

If they wanted to get a veteran, Allen Hurns may be on the block. He had a down year last year but has been a top-10 slot guy for years and everyone on that Jaguars team had a down year last season because of Bortles. Maybe The Jaguars liked someone they saw last week and they could get him for someone like Foster, Ealy, or Waddle. I doubt they spring for a veteran though.

Several theories from someone who has gotten more than his fair share of MRIs, although someone with actual medical experience could clean some of these loose thoughts up. Here's my basic framework. Of course, none of it is worth a damn :

1) They often use a contrast dye to get a better look. I've had some doctors order blood work the day before the test to make sure my blood count was right and that my kidneys could process the removal of the injected dye, since it is technically radioactive. Perhaps they want to run the blood work, first?

2) They may benefit from waiting for the swelling to go down a bit, although I really don't know how much this would pertain to an MRI within a 24 hr period. It probably wouldn't, seeing as how we've seen other players have their test on the knee in the same day. Again, perhaps someone who works in the field could weigh in.

3) They're already pretty sure that the ACL is torn, and are simply using it as a confirmatory test; therefore, there's really no rush to get it done in the wee hours of the night after the game/early morning. They may also want him to fly back with the team and have it done in their facilities, where their docs will examine and diagnose. (My theory)

4) For all we know, he may have already had it, or could be having it right now. We just won't know until the word leaks out later today.

Edit: I see luuked has covered some of the same thoughts while I was posting.

As an MD who has ordered many MRIs, feel the need to correct you on a couple of points:

Gadolinium is NOT radioactive. It is a naturally occurring heavy metal. In fact it is the opposite of radioactive..... it can absorb some radioactive isotopes and therefore has been used to line nuclear reactors. One of the benefits of MRIs vs. CTs is that they do not expose patients to any radioactivity. They are used in the orthopedic world because they are superior to CT scans for visualizing musculoskeletal injuries.

I assume that you are older than 45, because healthy younger patients (without known kidney disease) do NOT have to undergo kidney function testing before MRIs. The age cut off for this can vary slightly between radiology departments but typically it's either over the age of 45 or 50. The reason for kidney function testing is to reduce the risk of "contrast- induced nephropathy" (ie. acute kidney damage induced by the contrast material). This can occur with both MRI or CT scan contrast media. Another poster mentioned that unless you go to the emergency department you cannot get kidney function test results until the next day. Not true at all. Professional sports teams can all get routine lab results such as kidney function testing within an hour. I can send a patient to a hospital outpatient lab and request a "rush" and will have the results within 2 to 3 hours. Independent labs such as Quest can also give same-day lab results, upon request.

There's no reason to believe that the swelling in Edelman's knee today will be less than yesterday. In fact next day swelling is often worse.

When you hear a report that player X has undergone an MRI but the team is "waiting for results", it is total BS. These MRIs are read immediately for the team's medical staff. Even if the team's go-to radiologist is in Boston, the scan can be read remotely. My brother did his musculoskeletal radiology fellowship at MGH back in the early 2000's. He and his attending read and reported Bledsoe's chest CT scan well before it was reported by the media. The patriots almost certainly have an MRI on site, probably at the stadium itself. They also have a state-of-the-art medical facility at patriot place run by Brigham and women's/MGH.

As an MD who has ordered many MRIs, feel the need to correct you on a couple of points:

Gadolinium is NOT radioactive. It is a naturally occurring heavy metal. In fact it is the opposite of radioactive..... it can absorb some radioactive isotopes and therefore has been used to line nuclear reactors. One of the benefits of MRIs vs. CTs is that they do not expose patients to any radioactivity. They are used in the orthopedic world because they are superior to CT scans for visualizing musculoskeletal injuries.

I assume that you are older than 45, because healthy younger patients (without known kidney disease) do NOT have to undergo kidney function testing before MRIs. The age cut off for this can vary slightly between radiology departments but typically it's either over the age of 45 or 50. The reason for kidney function testing is to reduce the risk of "contrast- induced nephropathy" (ie. acute kidney damage induced by the contrast material). This can occur with both MRI or CT scan contrast media. Another poster mentioned that unless you go to the emergency department you cannot get kidney function test results until the next day. Not true at all. Professional sports teams can all get routine lab results such as kidney function testing within an hour. I can send a patient to a hospital outpatient lab and request a "rush" and will have the results within 2 to 3 hours. Independent labs such as Quest can also give same-day lab results, upon request.

There's no reason to believe that the swelling in Edelman's knee today will be less than yesterday. In fact next day swelling is often worse.

When you hear a report that player X has undergone an MRI but the team is "waiting for results", it is total BS. These MRIs are read immediately for the team's medical staff. Even if the team's go-to radiologist is in Boston, the scan can be read remotely. My brother did his musculoskeletal radiology fellowship at MGH back in the early 2000's. He and his attending read and reported Bledsoe's chest CT scan well before it was reported by the media. The patriots almost certainly have an MRI on site, probably at the stadium itself. They also have a state-of-the-art medical facility at patriot place run by Brigham and women's/MGH.
Thanks for chiming in, doc. Like I said in my post, they were loose framework thoughts while we waited for someone in the field to weigh in.

Close on my age, although I'm in my early 40s. Symptoms and testing started a couple/few years ago, in my late 30s. No known kidney issues or alarming readings, and have done surgeries + few day stints in the hospital where they're constantly doing blood work all day long, so perhaps my neurosurgeon was simply being cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back