PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reid vs BB at developing QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

I love how Florio says Reid “only” needs 4 Super Bowls to catch BB. Ya “only” twice the number of rings Reid has now…should be easy. Lol

Reid’s track record developing and coaching up QBs speaks for itself. But he also seemed to always have some really talented QBs to work with. Kermit was drafted in the top 10. Alex Smith- first overall pick. So was Vick. Kolb- second round. Ditto Favre.

I’ll pretend last season’s coaching fiasco didn’t happen and say I don’t think Bill’s record at developing QBs is too shabby. The GOAT- goes without saying. Matt Cassel- turning a 7th rounder into a serviceable starter. Stidham didn’t work out but Zappe (4th round) should at least be a good backup. Jimmy (2nd) was a Super Bowl starter. Brissett (3rd) is still in the league. Mac Jones (1st) with a competent offense was OROY runner up. Cam was a first rounder but he was on the tail end of his career and there was nothing to develop. There was nothing to develop with Bledsoe either.

I’d say the one thing Reid has over Bill right now for sure is developing a coaching tree. McDermott, Harbaugh, Pederson and others.

Andy Reid is a great coach no doubt about it. Great offensive mind, as well.

BB is a great head coach no doubt about it. Great defensive mind as well.

Two different sides of the same coin, maybe?

The big put down on BB is he only did it with Brady. Yeah, so? Outside of Joe Gibbs and George Seifert, who has won multiple super bowls with more than one QB? Noll? Landry? Shula? Walsh? Lombardi? Shannahan?

Gibbs has done it multiple different ways with three different guys. Outstanding. Seifert with Montana and Young... But I see that as more circumstantial... If Walsh stayed he'd most likely be the second but he let Seifert take his team...

Andy Reid has the same issue... He's only won with mahomie, who is the best player in the league now... But that is always overlooked...

Last edited:
A little weird to forget about McNabb. McNabb went to multiple NFC championship games and one superbowl loss. Reid is quietly impressive now that Mahommes got him over the hump.

Reid has no clue what Mahomes will do next out on the field.

Its sand lot ball and not designed plays executed by the book.

Reid has no clue what Mahomes will do next out on the field.

Its sand lot ball and not designed plays executed by the book.
Did you watch the super bowl?

I think if Reid gets a couple of more SB rings than it is a real discussion.

Reid is a better coach than Belichick. period. Reid's record in Philadelphia was 130-93-1 and included a super bowl appearance and 3 straight NFCCGs. And his record in KC is 117-45 and 2 super bowl titles. His QBs were McNabb, Vick, Smith (5 winning seasons), and Mahomes. In 24 years as HC, he has had only 3 losing seasons.

OTOH, Belichick's record without Brady is 79-87 and his record in Cleveland was of course abysmal. 7 losing seasons in 28 years, which amounts to 25% of his career.

Personally, I think Ernie Adams saved Belichick's career but I won't get into that here.

Last edited:
If reid wins 2 more super bowls then the discussion is on. Reif has a more diverse resume than Bill .

Kelce right now trump's Gronk as a TE in popular vote though he does not make it like a blocker. But his post season performance is otherworldly and his availability is legendary . The only way you can beat mahomes is to get Kelce injured . Last season showed us how impressive he was .

Same with Reid. Though I want to see how the chiefs do when they lose spagnuolo next year to a HC job.

I guess my point is Bill is a bit underrated I think in developing QB's. Although after the coaching mess last season maybe not...

I think if Reid gets a couple of more SB rings than it is a real discussion.
The challenge he's going to have is the fact that the rest of the Conference is starting to improve and it's not quite as diluted talent-wise as it was just a couple of years ago. When you look at teams like Cincinnati, Buffalo, Baltimore, (heck, even Jacksonville) etc. each slowly starting to rise, they'll all present potential speed bumps during the regular season and also possibly even play the role of spoiler in January. Then add in potentially Vegas (with Garoppolo), the Chargers, and possibly Denver (if Payton can turn that around), and even within their division, it's going to be tough.

Mahomes is a solid player, but unless he dials it back and starts playing more within himself and stops putting himself in harm's way, the lack of longevity may also be what holds him back. I've said this before, but he and Reid connected at the wrong time for a long run. Belichick was a lot younger when Brady got here. Reid is 65 and isn't anywhere close to in the same shape as Belichick, so coaching later into his 70s doesn't feel as likely.

I guess my point is Bill is a bit underrated I think in developing QB's. Although after the coaching mess last season maybe not...
It's a good point and I felt the same way given Mac's development after his first year, as well as the examples you mentioned.

A little weird to forget about McNabb. McNabb went to multiple NFC championship games and one superbowl loss. Reid is quietly impressive now that Mahommes got him over the hump.
Having watched Reid his entire Philly career,
Compare records when the games count conference championships and Super Bowls
BB is 9-4 in AFCCG and 6-3 in Super Bowls, 15-7 overall
Reid is 3-6 in Conf Championship games and 2-2 in Super Bowls, 5-8 overall

Having watched Reid his entire Philly career,
Compare records when the games count conference championships and Super Bowls
BB is 9-4 in AFCCG and 6-3 in Super Bowls, 15-7 overall
Reid is 3-6 in Conf Championship games and 2-2 in Super Bowls, 5-8 overall
I think the Bucs dominating the Chiefs in the SB also is a strike against Reid in this argument. Had no answer for Brady/Gronk and also the Bucs defense who was all over a compromised Chiefs OL all game. No adjustments made. That really shouldn't have happened.

Mahomes is a solid player, but unless he dials it back and starts playing more within himself and stops putting himself in harm's way, the lack of longevity may also be what holds him back. I've said this before, but he and Reid connected at the wrong time for a long run. Belichick was a lot younger when Brady got here. Reid is 65 and isn't anywhere close to in the same shape as Belichick, so coaching later into his 70s doesn't feel as likely.
Andy Reid isnt going anywhere while Mahomes is still playing. He's going to ride that train to more championships and most likely rings for as long as he can

If reid wins 2 more super bowls then the discussion is on. Reif has a more diverse resume than Bill .

Kelce right now trump's Gronk as a TE in popular vote though he does not make it like a blocker. But his post season performance is otherworldly and his availability is legendary . The only way you can beat mahomes is to get Kelce injured . Last season showed us how impressive he was .

Same with Reid. Though I want to see how the chiefs do when they lose spagnuolo next year to a HC job.
BB developed the best QB to have done it.. he won consistently with the GOAT spanning 2 decades. To me there is no debate.. it's BB and then everyone else.

Andy Reid is an amazing coach in own right however BB is the GOAT HC..

BB developed the best QB to have done it.. he won consistently with the GOAT spanning 2 decades. To me there is no debate.. it's BB and then everyone else.

Andy Reid is an amazing coach in own right however BB is the GOAT HC..
I agree as a pats fan. But as a neutral fan looking from outside , and say bill coaches us for another 2-3 seasons and doesn't make post season in any 3 , that's going to open up the can of worms . With hall of Fame QB every coach gets a high winning percentage. What do you do when you have middle tier or above average . I think Andy Reid with his pre Chiefs stint did have an impressive resume . Right now it's bill by a wide margin , but it wouldn't be preposterous to think that chiefs can win another couple in next 4 years and what that does to Andy's perception . His win totals are getting close to bill.

Andy Reid isnt going anywhere while Mahomes is still playing. He's going to ride that train to more championships and most likely rings for as long as he can
I agree. I was just saying he's not going to have the same tenure with Mahomes as Belichick did with Brady. And I think between that, and the influx of quarterback talent in that Division and in the Conference, Mahomes is going to have a tough time. I think Reid as an offensive mind is underrated and I think Mahomes will have a more difficult run when Reid can't do it anymore.

Last edited:
Reid is a HoF coach. His greatness does not diminish Belichick's, no matter what people post or write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes