PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox sucking??? Globe releases hit piece on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. What a bunch of bastards at the globe. Surprised they didn't get spotlight team involved
Spotlight would not touch this story because it is not a story. If they did they would have done some real journalism not a hit piece.

Not sure why you are asking but since you are i'll give you a straight answer.

I do not do any "charity" work per se. With my spare time I mentor business/computer science students from my alma mater and during the winter I run a basketball clinic on Saturdays for K-5th grade kids in my town for free. Mrs. RW does a ton of stuff. Shes a better person than me :p

From a personal standpoint, donating to charities that have a proven track record in really make a difference for people makes me feel good.

Like everyone else I could always do more as the 30k posts on this board attest:p.
I'm asking it because it's germane as to (why) TB took this root probably on advice by someone he trusted. Time.

I did the Big Brother/Little Brother in NH for 10 years but when I moved to Long Island and I checked into them down here they turned me off, seemed to be more interested in fundraising than helping kids. It was my feel of it whether it's true or not.

I'm not going to criticize someone who finds the time to help so many in a busy productive life when they are starting their own foundation and get charitable requests up the wazoo. I'd be less understanding myself if/when he retires.

It isn't all that uncommon for charities to donate money to other charities. This is such a non-story.

Well, according to the "sources" that Hohler interviewed, it's wonky because Best Buddies isn't "forthcoming" with the information. Despite them having written a letter stating that they've donated to Brady's Trust.

As a result, you've had a huge number of morons coming out of the woodwork claiming that Brady used the money for the trust to pay for his wedding and his Grandfather's Medical Bills. Only problem with those accusations is that the donation to his church and to the care facility that had taken care of his grandfather occurred well after both expenses were incurred.

It's disgusting and the Globe is trolling for lowlifes.. Unfortunately, they've all come out because they can't stand to see someone doing good so selflessly..

Unless you have a copy of his Income Tax Returns you do not know he doesn't.. I also suspect that you are underestimating their net worth.

This is classic muckraking, by the on life support press.

Can picture "Curly Haired Boyfriend" over Hohler's shoulder getting an erection while cheering him on, "Go Bob show them what a fraud Brady is"!!!..

Well I was counting his alone not both of theirs. My only issue is taking money from a charity that probably needs it a lot more than he does for nothing else than quid pro quo. He doesn't 'need' it so really shouldn't be taking it. The point of charity is for it to be selfless. Only being the face of it so you can get something back just leaves a bad taste.

If I'm reading your post right it clearly matters to you and I.

If I had donated to Best Buddies and later learned my money went to a battered women's shelter in San Mateo, CA i'd be slightly annoyed but it was to a good cause nonetheless.

If it went to Gisele's charity which was designed to prevent cruelty to squirrels who run across a busy road then I would have a major problem.

Robert, over the years, I have had a couple charities as clients.

Guess what? They PAY people to do professional services for them.

Guess what? 99% of those professionals keep the money they get paid to do the job they do.

Tom Brady gave of himself to do something that only he and his name could do. The worth of that endeavor was far in excess of what the charity paid out.

Most importantly, he did not take one red cent. The money never even reached his pockets.

The only thing that would be wrong is if Best Buddies did not disclose the payments and the amounts to Brady's Charitable Trust in their annual statements to donor. If they did, there is absolutely nothing wrong. If they did not, there is a problem.

What the Boston Globe did with its insinuation is nothing more than what Richard Nixon did to Helen Gahagan Douglas when he ran for Congress against her and had his campaign issue leaflets to the voters stating that his opponent's sister was a "Thespian".

Does it really matter? Brady has a net worth of almost $200 million. Why is he even accepting money from a charity to fund his own? He should do it himself. Especially when he's giving the money to his high school, college and his children's schools among other things. Those are definitely things he should be cutting a check on with his own money.

Because he devotes himself primarily to Best buddies exclusively. He does his charity work under that umbrella and in return for having Brady's undivided attetion and charity focus Best buddies donates to the causes Brady would normally have events to fund.

Sure, it's totally legal. And overall Brady's involvement is unquestionably a huge win for Best Buddies.

But...

Why is a charity for disabled kids providing (according to the article) 98% of the funding of a charity that is (allegedly) very Tom Brady cause specific? Brady's got plenty of money. He should fund it himself or at a minimum run it as a truly independent charity, not one that gets the vast majority of its funding from another charity that has near zero common interests.

If I were a Best Buddies donor I'd be annoyed by this. I'd be donating to help disabled kids, not to (in effect) make a partial contribution to a Brady personal charity.

Only a total jackass would be annoyed by this, particularly if you made a donation to Best Buddies during an event that Brady participated in.

You're talking about less than 7% of the money that Brady has helped Best Buddies raise.

I'd be more annoyed if the guy running Best Buddies was pulling in a Multi-Million dollar salary..

It also speaks volumes about how ignorant people are about how much money actually goes to helping their cause vs. the "overhead" of the charity..

Go look at Charities like the Clinton Foundation, Goodwill, and The Wounded Warrior Project if you want to see charities that don't actually spend money on their cause.

By the way, there are plenty of problems with lots of athlete charities - nepotism for big $$$; tax write-offs that exceed donations, etc. - without the Globe chasing this nothingburger.

People cannot stand that Brady really is just a great person. Oh, and his FOOD is really great, too - had Saffron Paella with Walnut Chorizo and Fava Beans last night.

7-for-7 on great meals with that Purple Carrot program.

I'm asking it because it's germane as to (why) TB took this root probably on advice by someone he trusted. Time.

I did the Big Brother/Little Brother in NH for 10 years but when I moved to Long Island and I checked into them down here they turned me off, seemed to be more interested in fundraising than helping kids. It was my feel of it whether it's true or not.

I'm not going to criticize someone who finds the time to help so many in a busy productive life when they are starting their own foundation and get charitable requests up the wazoo. I'd be less understanding myself if/when he retires.

Exactly. The guy raised $50m and by all accounts the charity is squeaky-clean. While he might want to have a bit more oversight into where the money goes this whole story is such a non-issue

Unless you have a copy of his Income Tax Returns you do not know he doesn't.

We DO know he doesn't. The documents show that 98% of the Brady charity's revenue comes from Best Buddies, ergo Brady (or anyone else) is giving virtually nothing to it.

Again, this is totally legal, and Best Buddies is far, far better off for Brady's involvement and so this is basically a non-story. But I still wish he'd fund his private charity himself (he and Bundchen certainly have the money for it) rather than via quid pro quo.

Last edited:
Robert, over the years, I have had a couple charities as clients.

Guess what? They PAY people to do professional services for them.

Guess what? 99% of those professionals keep the money they get paid to do the job they do.

Tom Brady gave of himself to do something that only he and his name could do. The worth of that endeavor was far in excess of what the charity paid out.

Most importantly, he did not take one red cent. The money never even reached his pockets.

The only thing that would be wrong is if Best Buddies did not disclose the payments and the amounts to Brady's Charitable Trust in their annual statements to donor. If they did, there is absolutely nothing wrong. If they did not, there is a problem.

What the Boston Globe did with its insinuation is nothing more than what Richard Nixon did to Helen Gahagan Douglas when he ran for Congress against her and had his campaign issue leaflets to the voters stating that his opponent's sister was a "Thespian".

I'm not sure what point you are making as it pertains to my post?

So I read the article...meh.

The only negative point that could be made here is that some of the money going to Best Buddies is getting funneled to Brady's high school alma mater. That's a bit unseemly, I guess - so perhaps Best Buddies should be clearer in the arrangement.

Still, it's hard to argue that this is a major win-win for everyone involved. Brady gets resources floating about to help with high profile things he needs to do, and Best Buddies has certainly benefited.

There's no scandal here. Also shows that Brady is fairly non-partisan when you get right down to it, as this is a Kennedy venture (Anthony Shriver).

How is it unseemly for someone to give a grant to their HS? Public Schools are in dire straights across this country. Where the US used to be a Top 5 in education, we're not even Top 25 now.

Also, the author of the story purposely doesn't tell us when in 2011 the grant to San Mateo HS was given so we don't know if it was done before or after Change the World received the money from Best Buddies.

I would think that people would have a bigger issue with giving money to private schools than to Public ones..

Well I was counting his alone not both of theirs. My only issue is taking money from a charity that probably needs it a lot more than he does for nothing else than quid pro quo. He doesn't 'need' it so really shouldn't be taking it. The point of charity is for it to be selfless. Only being the face of it so you can get something back just leaves a bad taste.

Except HE's not taking it.. Not a dime has gone into Brady's pocket. It's gone to other charities..

You're acting like the money has paid for Brady's vacation to Montana at Drew Bledsoe's or for him to take the WRs to Napa or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back