PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox sucking??? Globe releases hit piece on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
We DO know he doesn't. The documents show that 98% of the Brady charity's revenue comes from Best Buddies, ergo Brady (or anyone else) is giving virtually nothing to it.

Again, this is totally legal, and Best Buddies is far, far better off for Brady's involvement and so this is basically a non-story. But I still wish he'd fund his private charity himself (he and Bundchen certainly have the money for it) rather than via quid pro quo.

What evidence do you have that he doesn't??? All that is discussed here are finances related to Best Buddies..

He can personally give to causes outside of his charity.. that might make a lot of sense considering his tax bracket.

If you want to see an interesting IRS form 990 with local interest that the Globe should be far more interested in, this is the one to look at. Look at the names, the relationships and the figures. Who says you can't get rich off of charity. http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2014/042/691/2014-042691955-0c4c8397-9O.pdf

Half a million bucks in compensation to run a charity org. Wow.

FYI this isn't linked to Brady btw. (In case any idiot Globe writers read this post)
upload_2017-4-23_10-32-9.png

FYI this isn't linked to Brady btw. (In case any idiot Globe writers read this post)
View attachment 16920

What does this have to do with Brady and Best Buddies??

It looks like Citizens Energy is now linked to Solar Endeavors... a non-profit is not a charity. The Income tax return indicates it is a non-profit business..

PACS are tax exempt.. it is the way the tax world works, never seemed fair.. but there is little interest to make things different.

What evidence do you have that he doesn't??? All that is discussed here are finances related to Best Buddies..
I'm talking about the specific Brady private charity being discussed. Since it gets 98% of its funding from Best Buddies it obviously isn't getting (much of) anything from Brady (or anyone else). What I'm saying is that I would prefer to see Brady fund that charity independently (which he pretty clearly isn't doing) rather than by quid pro quo via Best Buddies since its goals/purpose have little in common with the goals/purpose of Best Buddies.

How is it unseemly for someone to give a grant to their HS? Public Schools are in dire straights across this country. Where the US used to be a Top 5 in education, we're not even Top 25 now.

In the abstract it's not unseemly at all, of course.

But when it is done via a cut (admittedly a small one) of donations given to benefit disabled kids, it's not the greatest look.

How is it unseemly for someone to give a grant to their HS? Public Schools are in dire straights across this country. Where the US used to be a Top 5 in education, we're not even Top 25 now.

Also, the author of the story purposely doesn't tell us when in 2011 the grant to San Mateo HS was given so we don't know if it was done before or after Change the World received the money from Best Buddies.

I would think that people would have a bigger issue with giving money to private schools than to Public ones..

Because if I give money to charity, I'm targeting that money where I want it to go. Many of the named Foundations are different; giving to them, I know they're throwing it all over the place. But if I give to Best Buddies:

"Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501 organization. It consists of volunteers that create opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities"

If I want to give to a high school, maybe I'd give to my own, you know? And no, it's not that big of a deal at all, as I made clear, considering the pittance that's redirected. Charities are targeted giving, unlike, say, taxes.

But again, there are far worse problems - actual scandals - out there in charity world. Dana Farber hits me up for a sizable donation each year, but I don't give anymore, because I found out that they, along with many other MA hospitals/hospital execs, run Caimen Islands bank accounts.

View attachment 16920

That's actually LOW, believe it or not, for non-profits and charities.

Charlie Baker got $1.5-2m/year for running NON-PROFIT Harvard-Pilgrim Health Care - that's not a shot at Baker. I actually like the guy.

I do wish that to qualify as a charity or a non-profit, compensation for eecs would be capped much lower, though.

I'm not sure what point you are making as it pertains to my post?

"If I had donated to Best Buddies and later learned my money went to a battered women's shelter in San Mateo, CA i'd be slightly annoyed but it was to a good cause nonetheless."

There is nothing to be annoyed about if the Brady Charitable Trust is listed in Best Buddies' annual statement with the dollar amount shown.

No one should be annoyed with a Snickers bar sugar content if that is listed on the wrapper.

Now if Best Buddies' annual statement did NOT show the payment to the Charitbale Trust, a donor then has the right to be annoyed.

Simple as that.

I think Junipero Serra is a private school anyway.

But I agree with the gist of your post.

Because if I give money to charity, I'm targeting that money where I want it to go. Many of the named Foundations are different; giving to them, I know they're throwing it all over the place. But if I give to Best Buddies:

"Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501 organization. It consists of volunteers that create opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities"

If I want to give to a high school, maybe I'd give to my own, you know? And no, it's not that big of a deal at all, as I made clear, considering the pittance that's redirected. Charities are targeted giving, unlike, say, taxes.

But again, there are far worse problems - actual scandals - out there in charity world. Dana Farber hits me up for a sizable donation each year, but I don't give anymore, because I found out that they, along with many other MA hospitals/hospital execs, run Caimen Islands bank accounts.

Here's some news for ya:

Best Buddies pays the landlord for its rent.

It pays the utility company for its heat, A/C and electricity.

It pays the food vendors at its events.

It pays the PR firm that works the events

All of those people pocket the money paid to them for their hard work.

Tom Brady doesn't. Instead of getting compensated for his own use, he tells them merely to direct it to his Charitable Foundation.

As long as Best Buddies discloses that in the annual statement to donors there is ZERO wrong with any of that.

OK, let's cut the ******** folks. Here is Charity Navigator. It highly rates Best Buddies at a 87.40 rating.

Maybe the Boston Globe should have taken 2 minutes to use the Google Machine.

Charity Navigator - Rating for Best Buddies International

Score
(out of 100)
Rating
Overall Score & Rating
Financial 86.84
Accountability & Transparency 88.00
This rating was published 02/01/2017 and includes data from FY2015, the most recent 990 received at that time.
Why isn't this based on more recent data?
ratingchartbg.png

Tom Brady and Best Buddies Charity

Boston Globe with an interesting article on Brady and his charitable work

Tom Brady gives much to Best Buddies but takes millions for his own charitable trust - The Boston Globe

Bit of a controversy is being made here by the Globe for them giving him charity money for all the time he puts in for them. While my feelings on that are mixed I do wonder about the overall tone of the article as the titled is framed a bit unfair.

Overall my thoughts are Brady has helped raised and donated a pretty good amount of money over the years and if they make an agreement with him to give his charity some funds that he can use for the things close to his heart that is fine.

Anyone who gives to a charity should be aware once you give it away it is the charity's to use (unless specifically set up as otherwise) and so you can't really be mad if they do that.

Duplicate thread

Why did the other one get locked? Too political?

Oh i didn't see there was one already. Why did it get locked?

My bad didn't see it was blocked yeah it did get pretty political.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes