PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox sucking??? Globe releases hit piece on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a good learner. His golf buddy does the same, takes credit for donating other people's money.

I am as big a fan of Brady as any but this does not look good. You can argue that he helps them raise a lot of money and what he gets back goes to charity but the optics do not look good given

People are being absolutely ridiculous over this. Best Buddies publicly states that 81% of revenue goes to their programs while 19% goes to administration costs and fund raising. This is part of the fund raising costs and not one penny goes into Brady's pocket (even though he could charge for it.). All of it goes to other charities aside from a small admininistration and accounting expense.

This is a whole lot of nothing.

Last edited:
I am as big a fan of Brady as any but this does not look good. You can argue that he helps them raise a lot of money and what he gets back goes to charity but the optics do not look good given
Given what?

Sure, it's totally legal. And overall Brady's involvement is unquestionably a huge win for Best Buddies.

But...

Why is a charity for disabled kids providing (according to the article) 98% of the funding of a charity that is (allegedly) very Tom Brady cause specific? Brady's got plenty of money. He should fund it himself or at a minimum run it as a truly independent charity, not one that gets the vast majority of its funding from another charity that has near zero common interests.

If I were a Best Buddies donor I'd be annoyed by this. I'd be donating to help disabled kids, not to (in effect) make a partial contribution to a Brady personal charity.

Agree 100%. There is nothing more annoying that donating $ to a charity and then finding out the cash is purposed for something else.

However, in the grand scheme of things to criticize TB12 for "funneling" 6% of the total cash raised to another worthy charity is beyond absurd.

Its not like he bought a jet or donated it to the Human Fund on behalf of George Costanza....sheesh.

Trashing Brady has become a veritable cottage industry - the media is obsessed with the man.

If you want to see an interesting IRS form 990 with local interest that the Globe should be far more interested in, this is the one to look at. Look at the names, the relationships and the figures. Who says you can't get rich off of charity. http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2014/042/691/2014-042691955-0c4c8397-9O.pdf

If you want to go down that road let's take a nice long look at the "charitable" foundation of that loofa faced sh.t gibbon who is pretending to be president. He uses the money to buy paintings of himself.

I had a friend that was an executive for United Way and she told me that she left because more money was being paid to the executives and promoting the charity than was going to the people whom the charity was supposed to help. People need to look closely before donating to see what percentage actually reaches the people.

There is nothing wrong with what Brady did...the writers should look into some of these other big charities though since the money truly goes into people's pockets.

Last edited:
If you want to go down that road let's take a nice long look at the "charitable" foundation of that loofa faced sh.t gibbon who is pretending to be president. He uses the money to buy paintings of himself.

Or maybe that foundation of the family of his opponent in the recent election. Cuts both ways and neither are relevant to Brady.

Or maybe that foundation of the family of his opponent in the recent election. Cuts both ways and neither are relevant to Brady.

Well, I for one would LOVE IT if more Americans would actually look at the Clinton Foundation - which is ranked in the top 5 charities in the world, and has done things in areas where other charities dare not go because of the way they do their work.

In fact, were an honest and impartial adjudication of the "dueling charities" spotlighted to the American voters...well, let's just say that I'd have welcomed that.

I can offer a little professional wisdom here. This is in contrast to anything I've ever posted about football.

Yes, nonprofits often invest in each others' work. Most common is money moving from Foundations to Service Delivery organizations. A Foundation's purpose is to raise money, whereas a Service Delivery's is to spend the money getting things done. Those who give to the Foundation expect a thoughtful, strategic allocation of their funds to Service Delivery organizations.

Also common is for one Service Delivery organization to contract with another to deliver a service, for the sake of efficiency, due to the second organization being better at it than the first.

And, there can be reimbursement arrangements where one organization performs a task for another (back office administration, or a fundraising project, for example).

So the fact that money is moving around isn't suspicious, and in fact is an important part of the nonprofit "toolkit."

The key issue is what is the money being moved for. Most of the time, its legit and to be supported. Like everything in life, there's a 2% that should have been done differently. And a portion of that 2% is shady stuff.

The 990's are useful, and can also be misleading, because some nonprofits really should have high administrative costs due to the nature of their work, while others should have low administrative costs. And keep in mind that those administrative costs include things that are essential to organizational effectiveness, like audits, employee development, strategic planning, the sharing of best practices at conferences, IT services, and much more.

Bormio, I encourage you to do some reading beyond the headlines, the traditional media, and the popular bloggers on this particular subject.

So I read the article...meh.

The only negative point that could be made here is that some of the money going to Best Buddies is getting funneled to Brady's high school alma mater. That's a bit unseemly, I guess - so perhaps Best Buddies should be clearer in the arrangement.

Still, it's hard to argue that this is a major win-win for everyone involved. Brady gets resources floating about to help with high profile things he needs to do, and Best Buddies has certainly benefited.

There's no scandal here. Also shows that Brady is fairly non-partisan when you get right down to it, as this is a Kennedy venture (Anthony Shriver).

Agree completely, and if the board Callahan's stop injecting their right wing politics into the football forum then you won't see me responding to it.

Agree 100%. There is nothing more annoying that donating $ to a charity and then finding out the cash is purposed for something else.

However, in the grand scheme of things to criticize TB12 for "funneling" 6% of the total cash raised to another worthy charity is beyond absurd.

Its not like he bought a jet or donated it to the Human Fund on behalf of George Costanza....sheesh.

Does it really matter? Brady has a net worth of almost $200 million. Why is he even accepting money from a charity to fund his own? He should do it himself. Especially when he's giving the money to his high school, college and his children's schools among other things. Those are definitely things he should be cutting a check on with his own money.

Does it really matter? Brady has a net worth of almost $200 million. Why is he even accepting money from a charity to fund his own? He should do it himself. Especially when he's giving the money to his high school, college and his children's schools among other things. Those are definitely things he should be cutting a check on with his own money.

Unless you have a copy of his Income Tax Returns you do not know he doesn't.. I also suspect that you are underestimating their net worth.

This is classic muckraking, by the on life support press.

Can picture "Curly Haired Boyfriend" over Hohler's shoulder getting an erection while cheering him on, "Go Bob show them what a fraud Brady is"!!!..

If I'm reading your post right it clearly matters to you and I.

If I had donated to Best Buddies and later learned my money went to a battered women shelter in San Mateo, CA i'd be slightly annoyed but it went to a good cause nonetheless.

If it went to Gisele's charity which was designed to prevent cruelty to squirrels who run across a busy road then I would have a major problem.

Last edited:
So he raised almost $50M for best buddies and they gave 1/25th of it back to his own charitable endeavors. Did the loser that wrote this article raise $50M?

Non-story that haters/losers will hope gains traction.

If I'm reading your post right it clearly matters to you and I.

If I had donated to Best Buddies and later learned my money went to a battered women's shelter in San Mateo, CA i'd be slightly annoyed but it was to a good cause nonetheless.

If it went to Gisele's charity which was designed to prevent cruelty to squirrels who run across a busy road then I would have a major problem.

Do you do any charity work not just throw $ around?

Do you do any charity work not just throw $ around?

Not sure why you are asking but since you are i'll give you a straight answer.

I do not do any "charity" work per se. With my spare time I mentor business/computer science students from my alma mater and during the winter I run a basketball clinic on Saturdays for K-5th grade kids in my town for free. Mrs. RW does a ton of stuff. Shes a better person than me :p

From a personal standpoint, donating to charities that have a proven track record in really making a difference for people makes me feel good.

Like everyone else I could always do more as the 30k posts on this board attest:p.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes