PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Realistic trade packages to move up and take a QB in the draft

Lawrence and Wilson are largely predicted to go 1 and 2. Miami will likely stick with Tua rather than draft a rookie. Atlanta may take a QB, Fields or Lance at 4. Cincinnati has Burrow, so #5 may be the target trade. I’m guessing it will take our first, third, next year’s first, and maybe another pick. I think this may be the plan. Fields or Lance. Both are big strong guys with big arms who can run. Not unlike Cam. This offense will be built well for either player. Let them sit behind Cam for a year unless they beat him out. Trey Lance is the guy I’m more excited about.
I want Lance, he’s Mahomes 2.0 lol

on the radio they said this years #1 and #2 might move you to 7

The thing to be wary about with radio shows: What they say is calculated towards narratives they want to continue on the show. They're entertainers, not journalists. So putting something out there like this (that sounds like a no brainer) is an easy way to then criticize the team later if they DON'T trade up. "All it would have taken was a 2nd rounder, Mike! And they weren't willing to do that for a <insert whichever of the QB's turns out better in hindsight that were in the 5-7 range>!" In reality, it will likely take more than that, and you'd have to do it for the guy you choose in the moment.

I still want them to do it, but deals that are a no brainer are rare. They're going to have to take SOME pain to do it.

Here's a really crazy thought if Jones falls to 15 and BB decides to gamble on him, why not in the 3rd or 4th round grab either Mills or Mond as well. Let them compete behind Cam while learning and you may come out with a decent qb and a trade chip in the future. With so many questions on Jones this may be a worthwhile idea. Yes we would have to give up one of our extra WRs or OL we might normally draft, but I think it has some real potential.

What do you think? Maybe I'm just one of those crazy old men throwing stuff at the wall.

A few comments:

a.) The QB carousel is not going to stop churning....all the way up to pick #12 in the draft, IMO. Some things to consider:

- If the Jets take Wilson, they are gonna shop Darnold to jump back into round 2. Maybe the Bears, Niners, etc...could be interested.

- Houston might still trade Watson...probably to the Panthers and taking them out of the QB derby as well at #8. Or even to Miami...thereby adding Tua to the QB carousel.

b.) The only thing I am sure of is that Lawrence is going #1 and will not be a Patriot (in 2021 at least). That AND the Jets/Dolphins not doing business with the Pats.

c.) I am not so sure Fields and Lance will both go in the top 8 picks...or even the top 10. You gotta think about it...you are committing draft capital and millions of bucks to two QB's with very little film....when there are other SURE things in the first round.

d.) Maybe even standing pat is our best play...and let the draft come to us.

e.) That being said....I like Lance the best....I think he would benefit from one year sitting behind Cam.

c.) I am not so sure Fields and Lance will both go in the top 8 picks...or even the top 10. You gotta think about it...you are committing draft capital and millions of bucks to two QB's with very little film....when there are other SURE things in the first round.
I don't see why the Patriots would view things differently. After all, all of their higher than #20 draft picks since 2000 have gone to OL or front 7 players: Nate Solder, Jerod Mayo, Ty Warren, and Richard Seymour.

Mills just finished his Pro Day, throwing darts in the rain at Stanford.

Mills ran a good 40 and looked athletic. The NFLN guys seems to think he will go in the second round.

the Stanford WR Fehoko ran a 4.3 at 6’4” 235lbs also made himself some
Money today.

FWIW, DraftTek has the Patriots trading 15, 46, 96, and their 2022 1 to move up to #4 to get Trey Lance.

Of course, their explanation is a doozy.

"It's not characteristic of Bill Belichick to trade up in the draft". However it's not completely out of the question, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to BB. He traded up into the top 10 for Jerod Mayo in 2008, there's the precedent.

Here's a really crazy thought if Jones falls to 15 and BB decides to gamble on him, why not in the 3rd or 4th round grab either Mills or Mond as well. Let them compete behind Cam while learning and you may come out with a decent qb and a trade chip in the future. With so many questions on Jones this may be a worthwhile idea. Yes we would have to give up one of our extra WRs or OL we might normally draft, but I think it has some real potential.

What do you think? Maybe I'm just one of those crazy old men throwing stuff at the wall.

You're not alone. I would definitely not be surprised if the Pats drafted 2 QB's.

You're not alone. I would definitely not be surprised if the Pats drafted 2 QB's.

What‘s the quote? If you have two QBs, you don’t have any? I’d far rather they identified and got THE GUY rather than throwing darts at a dart board.

What‘s the quote? If you have two QBs, you don’t have any? I’d far rather they identified and got THE GUY rather than throwing darts at a dart board.

Quote?

I'm thinking BB starts camp with no less than 4 QB's. Draft at least 2, and along with Cam and Stiddy, you have four guys battling for a starter spot. Draft one high, and grab another one at low capital cost.

Quote?

I'm thinking BB starts camp with no less than 4 QB's. Draft at least 2, and along with Cam and Stiddy, you have four guys battling for a starter spot. Draft one high, and grab another one at low capital cost.
I’d rather be in a position where we are confident we have our QB of the future rather than hoping one of four might or might not be it.

I’d rather be in a position where we are confident we have our QB of the future rather than hoping one of four might or might not be it.

It's astronomically difficult to draft and cultivate an above-average NFL quarterback, never mind a superstar. Even the best QB that BB has drafted in the last 20 years, Jimmy G., has turned out to be nothing more than a game manager. SF is already looking to move on from him.

So I think, yes, try to be confident, but also throw as many darts as you can as well.

I don't see why the Patriots would view things differently. After all, all of their higher than #20 draft picks since 2000 have gone to OL or front 7 players: Nate Solder, Jerod Mayo, Ty Warren, and Richard Seymour.

For the 4 guys you named....3 of them came in the top 10 and Solder was #17, IIRC. All of them had extensive film on them...at least 2 seasons' worth. Fields and Lance barely have 2 seasons of tape combined....and no combine....meaning teams need to go off by a 15 game body of work, college pro days, and interviews...likely over zoom...THAT'S IT.

When you are looking at guys like Kyle Pitts, Devonta Smith, Penei Sewell, etc.... then compare them vs. an unknown at the most important position.... 2-3 teams could just decide to take a pass. And if one takes a pass....a slide could happen...like Aaron Rodgers....

It's astronomically difficult to draft and cultivate an above-average NFL quarterback, never mind a superstar. Even the best QB that BB has drafted in the last 20 years, Jimmy G., has turned out to be nothing more than a game manager. SF is already looking to move on from him.

So I think, yes, try to be confident, but also throw as many darts as you can as well.

My question would be this. If you think, for example, Trey Lane is the QBoTF would you rather trade your 1,2,3 to go and get him or sit at 15, draft a star positional player and then wait until the 2nd and get a QB you think might be above-average. Personally I’d rather trade up and get THE GUY with the obvious caveat that you have to be confident he is that.

My question would be this. If you think, for example, Trey Lane is the QBoTF would you rather trade your 1,2,3 to go and get him or sit at 15, draft a star positional player and then wait until the 2nd and get a QB you think might be above-average. Personally I’d rather trade up and get THE GUY with the obvious caveat that you have to be confident he is that.

I'd definitely get "the guy" and get another in the 5th to 7th round, or even UDFA.

BB has no qualms trading a blockbuster QB if another QB ranked much lower, beats him out for the job. He'll do that again in a flash.

I'd draft a position player at 15, and QB Mills from Stanford in the 2nd.

If they were inclined to move up from 15:
- their mid 4th would move them up 2 spots to 13
- their low 3rd would move them 3 spots to 12
- their mid 2nd would move them up 7 spots to 8
- their mid 2nd and next year 1st could would get them to 4 (Atl) or 5 (Cin), who are both possible partners as they don't need a QB, and both bad teams who need quality draft choices. May need to toss in a 4th to get it done.

This is good. Chris Simms on his top 6 QBs

1. Zachary Wilson - loves him!
2. Trevor Lawrenece
3. Mac jones - “unbelievable feet”
4. Kellen Mond
5. Justin Fields
6. Trey Lance

you're looking for a team in the top 10 who's got a lot of holes at different positions and may want to move down in order to gain assets to solve more problems at once. Preferably one with a reason to want to make a move in a hurry.

Personally I think the best possible target is Philly. They've got a Swiss Cheese roster but an elite young QB who's going to be expensive within 4 years or so. their clock is ticking to build a winner around Hurts, and they probably would entertain the idea of expanding their options in the second round in exchange for moving down to #15. It would give them multiple bites at the apple to solve their OL woes and other issues on the roster, which can't be solved with one super high draft pick. Quantity over quality may well appeal to them.

Also, since they've got their QB, the pressure to draft super high is the lowest on Philly out of everyone in the top 10. An extra second to move down a few slots may mesh well enough with their plans, and unlike our usual draft slot, moving down to #15 isn't a back breaker for getting elite picks anyway. So the price won't be as ridiculous as it would be in a normal year.

If we're moving up to Philly's spot the only team drafting ahead of us that's definitely taking a QB is the Jets and the Jags That should be enough to allow us to grab some premium asset. That presumes of course that everyone behaves rationally.

My issue with Lance and Mills is that there is not a lot of work to view to get a feel for either one of them.

I am not convinced with either one of them, prefer Mac Jones who had a 77% completion rate and 41 TD to 4 Int season in the SEC.

The Pats Dynasty started with the short pass with high YAC (dink and dunk), with the two TE's we acquired could be be heading back in that direction??

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back