PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Half full glass but the defense did shut out the Chiefs in the first half. If they hadn’t at least confused the Chiefs they probably lose that game. Michel should of had 3 tds in that firat half, but instead of running it at the goal line Brady had a moment and threw a pick.
A game is 60 minutes. Never saw a defense celebrated for giving up 30 points as much as that defense was for that game. Was very funny actually.

Had we lost, would the defense have been celebrated for giving up 30?

Wait - - - Butler "looks guilty" to you because of WHAT? Did you mistakenly type "Butler" instead of Belichick"?

Butler most certainly DID comment in that doc - 29:25-29:54. He says he has absolutely no idea what could have caused it. He seems flummoxed by the whole thing. He did not snort, lie to the interviewer, snort again and then stare at the camera when caught in the lie.
He waves his arms and says, 'To this very day, I really don't......know......why!' He is quite emotional and open about it.

Given that objective fact, your statement above "Since Butler has never commented about it he looks guilty of something." is objectively wrong and an attempt at shading the story. The irony is, despite your reasoning in that sentence, you believe the one guy who ACTUALLY ISN'T COMMENTING! :rolleyes:

Overall, I'm happy Belichick was the HC of the NEP for a quarter century - - the greatest NFL HC in history. But, as the saying goes, the last perfect man died over 2k years ago. No one is 100% right all the time. There are some folks in here who believe in comic book superheroes. But in reality. even the greatest humans are fallible. Belichick ****ed up SB52 for highly questionable reasons and refuses to explain to the stakeholders - his employer, the paying customers and the men who put their lives and bodies on the line.

If some want to close their eyes and chant "Believe, Believe", then, as they say in the South, bless your hearts, I hear there's a new stock that had an IPO yesterday (symbol DJT) to buy at a nice high price this morning.
Amazing the amount of denial on here about this decision, isn't it?

Some people seem completely incapable of critical thinking or their brain completely stops functioning if it involves anything that paints Bill as anything but amazing.

So weird.

A game is 60 minutes. Never saw a defense celebrated for giving up 30 points as much as that defense was for that game. Was very funny actually.

Had we lost, would the defense have been celebrated for giving up 30?
Well, Mahomes mentioned the first half in the post game presser so obviously he was bothered by the goose egg.

Think about the amount of denial that goes into this statement.

What favour did he do him? Do you even think about what you say? Dressed and sat down on the sideline while crying is some favour? Unless you are saying Butler committed rape or murder and Bill was covering for him?

Because nothing short of rape or murder justifies sitting Butler that game. Everything else is delusional.
Nothing? No denial involved in that conclusion at all.

With what we do know a lot doesn't make sense. To think that Butler did absolutely nothing and just got benched for no reason at all is not very logical either.

Hard to say wether the punishment fit without knowing the why so it always just seemed like the easy way out to me.

Saying Bill did him a favor isn't the right way to phrase it I think Bill knew it was going to be controversial and thought that no explanation would guard everyone but it's only fueled the story more and he really should have known better.
What doesn’t make sense was that he dressed but did not play. If he did something truly disturbing, he should never have dressed. And the way BB handled it certainly hurt the team. The team was very obviously confused about the benching and unprepared for it. Frankly, while I think BB owes the fans an explanation, he really owes the players on that team an explanation.

What doesn’t make sense was that he dressed but did not play. If he did something truly disturbing, he should never have dressed. And the way BB handled it certainly hurt the team. The team was very obviously confused about the benching and unprepared for it. Frankly, while I think BB owes the fans an explanation, he really owes the players on that team an explanation.
I agree what you point out does not make sense. Jumping to conclusions based on things that don't make sense also does not make sense either.

There is certainly a possibility BB doled out a draconian punishment but I don't know how based on information at hand that anyone can know that.

Tom was ready to leave after that debacle, I think he threw for over 500 yards.

But Kraft sat down with him & BB and got him to stay long enough to win another title.

Bill's way of doing things undeniably worked out mostly well. He's human like all of us.

His explanations are straightforward when you read between the lines. He had opinions, made judgements and decisions and stuck with them for better or worse. Most coaches are like this.

The most explanation you'll ever get from Raymond Berry about Flutie turning a losing team into a contender is "Amazing. Incredible. Unbelievable." Which is the consensus among almost everybody because Doug is short and played for BC.

it was a BB hit job and Kraft should be ashamed. i've been a big Bill critic of how he handled the last few years. but it's pretty clear this documentary wasn't necessarily about the dynasty but just one large hit job on Bill so Kraft can wash his hands of everything that has happened since 2019.

Not true. 2 episodes were basically fawning on Bill’s coaching ability (2008 and 2018).
Yes, I did overstate that. They didn't only want negative things, they mostly wanted negative things.

I don't blame him. I stopped after episode 4. I have my pet peeves with Bill, but the Bill bashing was even over the top for me.

My main complaint with the series was the time jumping, poor editing and ignoring players and now coaches. They just wanted to focus on Bill sabotaging the team for 24 years. What a streak!
At some point I might go back and rewatch it to see exactly how bad it was. When Jackie McMullen, in one of her many moments, stated that Tom Brady probably tampered with the footballs I just about fell off my chair.

Because he fcked up and knows it. BB did him a favor and covered it up because he was going to be a free agent.
That's a more than reasonable take. If Butler was treated unfairly he would have said something and wouldn't have played dumb like he didn't know why he was benched in the SB after playing all the snaps he did up to that game.

Like I said, believing that Butler didn't know why he was benched is crazy talk.

Amazing the amount of denial on here about this decision, isn't it?

Some people seem completely incapable of critical thinking or their brain completely stops functioning if it involves anything that paints Bill as anything but amazing.

So weird.
I'm hardly Bill's biggest fan (ask @Ian and he can tell you) but he actually was amazing as a HC. He made less mistakes in a season than many HC's made in a game.

So why was the decision made and how on God's green earth could Butler not know why he was benched? Explain that to me please.

I agree what you point out does not make sense. Jumping to conclusions based on things that don't make sense also does not make sense either.

There is certainly a possibility BB doled out a draconian punishment but I don't know how based on information at hand that anyone can know that.
There’s one person who could clear this up, but he doesn’t think he ever owes anyone an explanation. And his only explanation to this point that he does what is in the best interest of the team is obviously not true in this case.

There’s one person who could clear this up, but he doesn’t think he ever owes anyone an explanation. And his only explanation to this point that he does what is in the best interest of the team is obviously not true in this case.
I think it's wrong to think BB "doesn’t think he ever owes anyone an explanation". It's just that he never trashes or dishes dirt on a player (or anyone on the staff) in the press. Even when a player totally deserves it like Adalius Thomas or Albert Haynesworth. He just benches them and if ever asked he describes punishment as a "coach's decision". That's just the way he is. Some people (myself included) consider that professionalism.

I suppose this is true. I'd like to think that he realizes he could have handled it better but sees no value in digging up old wounds at this time.

But again it's hard to really say anything definitive based on how little we do know.

When Jackie McMullen, in one of her many moments, stated that Tom Brady probably tampered with the footballs I just about fell off my chair.
It's the consensus of local media.

Roger Staubach probably took illegal steroids and Bart Starr probably sexually assaulted a ball girl.

Probably.

I'm hardly Bill's biggest fan (ask @Ian and he can tell you) but he actually was amazing as a HC. He made less mistakes in a season than many HC's made in a game.

So why was the decision made and how on God's green earth could Butler not know why he was benched? Explain that to me please.
My read on it? Butler spoke back to one of the coaches and Bill decided that was worth sitting him for the SB as he watched his team get killed. Some said the coach was his son.

Butler probably did not think about it more than 10 seconds. Hence the no clue part.

He sat Welker down for an entire playoff series because he made a joke about an opposing coach. So it's on brand. Hubris.

Damn - I promised I will stop on this but it should not count as responding to a question - right? LOL

one can disagree with bb's decisions. what i don't get is marking the reason down to his "arrogance" or "hubris". i think if you've been in the old time military or influenced by it,you would get that hubris and arrogance are 0 part of it.

one can disagree with bb's decisions. what i don't get is marking the reason down to his "arrogance" or "hubris". i think if you've been in the old time military or influenced by it,you would get that hubris and arrogance are 0 part of it.
also true that BB is arrogant.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back