PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Yes the defense was great, but they don't get to any of those super bowls without Tom, sorry.

Plenty of really good defenses don't get to Super Bowls. You need a generational "best defense ever" type of defense (e.g. 2000 ravens, 2015 broncos) to get there.

Brady led countless game winning drives in their playoff runs, and his ability to productive and provide stability with the offense schemes and ever-changing personnel is not something many QBs - even most of the greats - could have pulled off.

Brady needed to be pain-stakingly meticulous and detail-oriented with his processing and game management in a way that most guys can't.

Even that 01 Raiders game, plenty great QBs like Peyton would have played worse in that game. In a blizzard, against a defense that forced turnovers all season, with a running game that was bad, and a limited receiving corps, and an average but nothing special OC calling plays, etc. Brady had to throw 50 times with those conditions against a raiders defense that knew he had to throw.
I was referring to '01.

I think you're wrong on all counts when it comes to '01.

A lot of QBs could've ridden that defense to a SB. I mean, a couple pages back people are talking about how Bledsoe did his best to give that game away. It really shows how the QBs played a game manager role during the whole postseason.

I was referring to '01.

A lot of QBs could've ridden that defense to a SB. I mean, a couple pages back people are talking about how Bledsoe did his best to give that game away. It really shows how the QBs played a game manager role during the whole postseason.
I don’t think that was an all time defense. I thought the ‘03 and ‘04 defenses were better

I don’t think that was an all time defense. I thought the ‘03 and ‘04 defenses were better
They might've been better but the point was that '01 defense engineered a championship.

In '03 and '04 Brady had several unbelievably good performances, not to mention the '03 Super Bowl, which was an all-time great performance.

I was referring to '01.

I think a lot of QBs would have screwed up that Raiders game.

You're really underestimating how many QBs blow games where their defenses play well, let alone in a blizzard, in their 1st year as a starter

Off the top of my head:

2021 tannehill against the Bengals
2021 Rodgers against the 49ers
2022 Dak against the 49ers

I think a lot of QBs would have screwed up that Raiders game.

You're really underestimating how many QBs blow games where their defenses play well, let alone in a blizzard, in their 1st year as a starter

Off the top of my head:

2021 tannehill against the Bengals
2021 Rodgers against the 49ers
2022 Dak against the 49ers
The Raiders game was just an anomaly. The offense was dead. Yes Brady brought it alive. But anything could've happened, and really, it did. I don't criticize or blame or even laud anyone for that game. The Patriots, in the end, were very lucky, after getting beaten. But that happened multiple times during the SB run.

The Raiders game was just an anomaly. The offense was dead. Yes Brady brought it alive. But anything could've happened, and really, it did. I don't criticize or blame or even laud anyone for that game. The Patriots, in the end, were very lucky, after getting beaten. But that happened multiple times during the SB run.
*Adam Vinatieri has entered the chat*
Chasing Chicago Pd GIF by One Chicago

You lost me at Raiders game was just an anomaly.

I just watch 7-8. I thought they did a phenomenal job making me feel like I felt during the Atlanta SB. Loved it.

At some point, Bill changed. I can't put a timeline on it, but there's a mini series to cover on that as well, because 2001 Bill isn't the same Bill as 2016 Bill, and '16 Bill isn't the same as 2023 Bill.

I will tell you what, though. E8 is a love letter to Tom Brady. It's fitting for what he did in the second half of the Atlanta game.
I think that was the opposite. Bill didn't change when he needed to. He didn't adapt his drafting/roster building to the modern NFL. He didn't adjust his approach to dealing with players in the 2020's. He was set in his ways and refused to adjust.

I think that was the opposite. Bill didn't change when he needed to. He didn't adapt his drafting/roster building to the modern NFL. He didn't adjust his approach to dealing with players in the 2020's. He was set in his ways and refused to adjust.
Well, yeah, but I mean he changed in his grumpiness. Look at the footage ... He's telling them they suck after winning the AFCCG. That's not a good look IMO. He didn't act like that earlier in the run. I think as he got older, he got even more set in his ways, to your point. He knew being a **** worked so that's what he did all the time, and he knew what he had.

Look how differently he treated Cam. He pumped his tires often, to coin a phrase. I am sure part of that was because he agree to play for a pittance, in NFL terms, but it was 180 degrees from how he treated Brady.

Last edited:
You lost me at Raiders game was just an anomaly.
In terms of gameplay?

The snow created all sorts of weirdness in the game.

By anomaly I mean a game you have no business winning, but somehow you do it.

In terms of gameplay?

The snow created all sorts of weirdness in the game.

By anomaly I mean a game you have no business winning, but somehow you do it.
It was the first of many many games that they would win with excellent defense, clutch QB play, and great STs. Just happened to be the first but not an anomaly at all.

Well, yeah, but I mean he changed in his grumpiness. Look at the footage ... He's telling them they suck after winning the AFCCG. That's not a good luck IMO. He didn't act like that earlier in the run. I think as he got older, he got even more set in his ways, to your point. He knew being a **** worked so that's what he did all the time, and he knew what he had.

Look how differently he treated Cam. He pumped his tires often, to coin a phrase. I am sure part of that was because he agree to play for a pittance, in NFL terms, but it was 180 degrees from how he treated Brady.
That's why i said it stemmed from resentment over Brady

He acted much nicer to both Garopollo and Cam.

I truly believe that Belichick didn't think Brady was that great of a pure QB, and even felt that Brady left plays on the field with his lack of mobility. So Bill didn't want to give Brady "undeserved praise" for his accomplishments.

That's why i said it stemmed from resentment over Brady

He acted much nicer to both Garopollo and Cam.

I truly believe that Belichick didn't think Brady was that great of a pure QB, and even felt that Brady left plays on the field with his lack of mobility. So Bill didn't want to give Brady "undeserved praise" for his accomplishments.
I disagree. I think he knew how to push Tom's buttons.

I disagree. I think he knew how to push Tom's buttons.
And I think that worked for most of Tom's career, but especially towards the end, I think tom no longer wanted to be treated like a rookie who had not accomplished anything. I think Tom grew weary of Bill's style and Bill never changed and doubled down in anything.

I was just going to say part of coaching is knowing how to push a player's buttons to get the best out of them. Parcells was a master at it, so was Vince Lombardi.
I don't know who said it, I think it was Ronnie Lott, but the quote is along the lines of that getting the most out of great players is not always the most comfortable process.

"When I hear was it Bill, was it Tom It's just.... It's disrespectful. I think it's disrespectful to every player that helped the Patriots win a championship." - Pioli

Crazy trick at the end there with smell-o-vision and the onions.

So this was recorded before Bill was fired. If the pats went 10-7 , how wouldve bill come back to work after this aired ? Looks like Kraft planned to move this season regardless

Episode 9 was rough. Episode ten was a lot easier especially the SB53 stuff and the last ten minutes.

A lot of little things that we could fight over for the rest of our lives with how the covered Butler stuff, how they covered the divorce, Krafts credit grab, and Kraft's comments about how it could have been had he chose the other way. I wish he gave a blunt response to why he picked Bill over Tom if he was going to make comments at all.

Even with free agency lacking the fireworks we're onto the next one.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back