PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Danny Woodhead gone, signs with Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad, gonna miss the little guy. Vereen should be able to replace him hopefully. Good luck Danny, you'll always be a patriot.

Reading this thread has been interesting. ALOT of people just loved Woodhead, some seem to be somewhat jovial that he is gone, and some seem to be somewhat indifferent if he is here or not. Some people indicate he was not the better athlete, there are other guys who have more power, more speed, and that could be. Maybe he just wasn't the total all around package, but maybe, just maybe, there is a player we can compare him to on this team.

There are alot of fantastic athletes on this team with unbelievable talent, unfortunately, some of them don't have brains, desire, and determination. On the flip side of that statement, the HOF QB on this team has those 3 qualities above and beyond everyone else, and I believe he will go down as one of the greatest QB's ever, Woodhead shares those same qualities and he is very humble. Tom and Danny share a chip on their shoulders that other players don't seem to have, but it drives the hell out of both of them. No, I'm not saying Danny is a HOF'er, but man, that guy took to the field and went to work and did it well. Here is hoping he has continued success in his career.

Going to miss him. Was a great addition to this team. Came up big plenty of times. GL Danny..go get em!

Sorry to see him go. Hard... nay, impossible not to like Danny. Best of luck!

The man also has excellent judgement

1. One of the most interesting behind-the-scenes developments that I heard in the first week of free agency was how running back Danny Woodhead was on the radar of the New York Jets, and the idea that he might return to the team that cut him in 2010 was discussed seriously. Imagine that: the Patriots having to face the clutch "passing" back who was one of their most consistent and reliable players from 2010-2012 twice each season. The Jets wound up going with Mike Goodson instead, but there was legitimate interest in Woodhead, and it was reciprocated until the Chargers stepped up with their aggressive pitch. As for the Patriots, they were in the mix to retain Woodhead, but this was a case where they set their financial limit and felt the right decision was to move on once the numbers exceeded that. I wonder if they might ultimately regret the decision.
Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Glad he found a job, and wish him good fortune and health in San Diego.

Had to be. Running back by committee also means revolving door.

Reading this thread has been interesting. ALOT of people just loved Woodhead, some seem to be somewhat jovial that he is gone, and some seem to be somewhat indifferent if he is here or not. Some people indicate he was not the better athlete, there are other guys who have more power, more speed, and that could be. Maybe he just wasn't the total all around package, but maybe, just maybe, there is a player we can compare him to on this team.

There are alot of fantastic athletes on this team with unbelievable talent, unfortunately, some of them don't have brains, desire, and determination. On the flip side of that statement, the HOF QB on this team has those 3 qualities above and beyond everyone else, and I believe he will go down as one of the greatest QB's ever, Woodhead shares those same qualities and he is very humble. Tom and Danny share a chip on their shoulders that other players don't seem to have, but it drives the hell out of both of them. No, I'm not saying Danny is a HOF'er, but man, that guy took to the field and went to work and did it well. Here is hoping he has continued success in his career.
You're saying he had heart? Miles and miles of heart?

I liked Woody.

But I like Vereen, Washington more.

If Demps can do anything in the passing game, the team will be better for it.

I see you're from Nebraska, did you ever watch Woodhead play for Chadron State? It's a very small school. During my early days as a sportswriter working for the Scottsbluff Star-Herald, I once covered a Chadron State game. At halftime the team went into a classroom and sat at desks while the coach went over adjustments on the chalkboard.

...did you ever watch Woodhead play for Chadron State? It's a very small school. During my early days as a sportswriter working for the Scottsbluff Star-Herald, I once covered a Chadron State game. At halftime the team went into a classroom and sat at desks while the coach went over adjustments on the blackboard.

What's a blackboard? :)

What's a blackboard? :)

Its that slate thingy at the front of the room they write on with chalk. Also known as a chalkboard. OK, I'll change my post. :rolleyes:

Its that slate thingy at the front of the room they write on with chalk. Also known as a chalkboard. OK, I'll change my post. :rolleyes:

No, I meant it as - the use of a blackboard was too old of a reference for some youngins. I wasn't correcting, hence the smile.

Not re-signing Woodhead is a bigger mistake than not re-signing Welker.

Woodhead accounted for 900 yards of offense in 2011 and 700 yards in 2012. He is an excellent pass blocker, especially given hi small size. Vereen is not! Woodhead cuaght 40 passes last year for over 440 yards. Washinton was only thrown to 8 times last year and only made 4 catches. Woodhead was not very good at returning Kick Offs, but he contributed on all 4 special teams. He played 34% of the total plays. Washington is only going to play KO and PR. Woodhead's yards per catch was better than Aaron Hernandez. No matter when he was inserted into the game he performed very well. I'd say Good things happen when Woodhead is on the field!

I'm amazed sometimes how little some of the people on this board know about football ... Danny Wooddhead was a damn good football player for us and one that I think will be hard to replace. Good luck in San Diego Danny, I'll always be rooting for the little guy!

Very disappointing... Danny is fun to watch and a great athlete. I may have to go watch a couple of San Diego Chahjahhh games this season, but only when the Pats aren't playing. :)

Congrats to Danny. It always sucks to lose a player but as a person it's great to see someone like him succeed. He worked his butt off here and we got way more out of him than we paid him. Reports are that the Jets offered him a deal too but he chose the Chargers instead thankfully.

We'll miss ya, Woody. The way you fought back and refused to lie down in that 49ers game was somethin special. I visited a Charger's forum and someone said they got a "very underrated pick," and they're damn right. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes