PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens trade for Eugene Monroe in the works

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Jax in full rebuild mode.

or full relocation mode, not sure which one.

McKinnie has disappointed the purple pukes...trying to light a fire under his fat azz?

Monroe is in the last year of his deal, and he's strictly a LT, so his time in Jacksonville was limited, anyway, lucky bastard. I'm guessing that Joeckel will slide over to LT.

It definitely helps their awful o-line, but still doesn't change the fact that the Ravens' receiving corp sucks and Flacco is just average.

Our receivers are decent enough. Torrey is good, and Marlon Brown is pretty good. Our TEs blow though (big time) with Pitta out. I wouldn't even rule out Ed ****son being cut mid-season if he doesn't get his head out of his arse.

And Flacco is below-average when hurried, but above-average when he has time. So either you do not pay him the huge money, or you do whatever you can to keep him clean. They already paid the money, hence the emergency move to help him out.

As for OL, I assume McKinnie rides pine for now. He actually didn't start last year until the playoffs. But our weakest link on our OL (among several weak links) is Gino Gradkowski at center; no push at all, bad line calls, missed assignments, etc. Not sure what we will do about that, other than possibly start A.Q. Shipley (who looked worse than Gino in the preseason, but who had a semi-decent year in 2012 for the Colts)

Our receivers are decent enough. Torrey is good, and Marlon Brown is pretty good. Our TEs blow though (big time) with Pitta out. I wouldn't even rule out Ed ****son being cut mid-season if he doesn't get his head out of his arse.

And Flacco is below-average when hurried, but above-average when he has time. So either you do not pay him the huge money, or you do whatever you can to keep him clean. They already paid the money, hence the emergency move to help him out.

As for OL, I assume McKinnie rides pine for now. He actually didn't start last year until the playoffs. But our weakest link on our OL (among several weak links) is Gino Gradkowski at center; no push at all, bad line calls, missed assignments, etc. Not sure what we will do about that, other than possibly start A.Q. Shipley (who looked worse than Gino in the preseason, but who had a semi-decent year in 2012 for the Colts)

We'll trade you Wendell for Ngata. Straight up.:rocker:

No offense, but I am not impressed with your receiving corp. Smith is decent, but miscast as a #1 WR. Yes, he is on pace for a ton of yards, but that is because he catches one or two deep balls a game and has only catch 50% of the balls thrown in his direction (granted some of that is on Flacco). He will probably have over 1200 yards this year, but it is because Flacco targets him so much.

Marlon Brown has been ok. He is averaging 37.5 YPG, but have 3 TDs in four games.

Jacoby Jones is typically good for one good catch a game and not much else.

What makes the Ravens' receiving corp so bad is the absence of an over the middle WR. Flacco was good when he had Boldin and Pitta eating apart safeties and LBs over the middle.

Also, Flacco is average at best. He had one stretch in the playoffs last year when he was above average and even elite, but the rest of his career he was more of a middle of the pack QB.

No offense, but I am not impressed with your receiving corp. Smith is decent, but miscast as a #1 WR. Yes, he is on pace for a ton of yards, but that is because he catches one or two deep balls a game and has only catch 50% of the balls thrown in his direction (granted some of that is on Flacco). He will probably have over 1200 yards this year, but it is because Flacco targets him so much.

For whatever reason, you've been beating this drum for a while. The facts remain: Smith averaged 50 catches for 850 yds and 8 touchdowns over his first two seasons. That is rare production for a young receiver. This year, he is on pace for 80 catches and 1600 yards. He is averaging 18 ypc over his career. He is a little better than "decent". Marlon Brown is "decent". Torrey Smith is a big-time WR.

What bothers me is that the Ravens can pick up the 8th player picked in his draft year for a few 3rd day picks. Its not like he was a bust. He started every game since he got to Jacksonville. This seems to easy. Its a great move by Ozzie, or a really dumb move by the Jags.

I understand that the Jags might want to move him because he's a LT and they have Jockel, and he's coming up on his contract year. But for a couple of 3rd day picks???? That doesn't seem like good value to me. Is there something wrong with this guy?

Marlon Brown has been ok. He is averaging 37.5 YPG, but have 3 TDs in four games.

Jacoby Jones is typically good for one good catch a game and not much else.

What makes the Ravens' receiving corp so bad is the absence of an over the middle WR. Flacco was good when he had Boldin and Pitta eating apart safeties and LBs over the middle.

Also, Flacco is average at best. He had one stretch in the playoffs last year when he was above average and even elite, but the rest of his career he was more of a middle of the pack QB.

Our receivers are better than their stats. Like I said, our O-line is a mess, and Flacco is below average without ample time and space. So it isn't our receivers fault that Flacco is too slow making his reads to find them or that Flacco throws it up for grabs or inaccurately, all because he gets hassled after about 1.5 seconds every play. As for slot guys, Stokley has been serviceable and Deonte Thompson actually looks decent if he can stay healthy (last week was his first game and he got hurt again....lit up with a hit).

The fact our O-line cannot run block, also is a problem. It leads to a ton of 3rd and longs. Last week we threw it every play but one in the second half, literally. The defenses we are facing pin their ears back on most of our pass plays.

Flacco is better than average, for sure, with decent protection. Not great, mind you, but better than average.

In the playoffs last year he had the best protection he has had in several years, and it showed. His physical tools are great, his issue is between the ears, and with enough time in the pocket, that issue doesn't hurt him too much. When rushed, he flails (worse than the average QB flails). He has had a lot of games that looked like those playoff performances (or close to it), they just come inconsistently and usually against semi-dubious defenses (because we could protect him against those defenses).

And of course Cam Cameron was a lead anchor on our offense the whole time he was here, even if Caldwell seems a bit sketchy himself.

We are going to struggle this year for sure, but if Monroe (and scheme or other personnel change) sures up the O-line, we can easily make the playoffs (win 10 games).

Obviously, Flacco can't stay young forever and the Ravens are prioritizing getting him the best weapons possible before The Flacco Era Window of Opportunity Era closes.

(sarcasm).

For whatever reason, you've been beating this drum for a while. The facts remain: Smith averaged 50 catches for 850 yds and 8 touchdowns over his first two seasons. That is rare production for a young receiver. This year, he is on pace for 80 catches and 1600 yards. He is averaging 18 ypc over his career. He is a little better than "decent". Marlon Brown is "decent". Torrey Smith is a big-time WR.

He might finally put it together this year, but his first two years are exactly what I said he was - one of the biggest c**k teases in the NFL. He would have one all world games (like he had vs the Pats in the regular season last year) followed by two or three games where you have to ask if he even played.

This year he has been more consistent and may be turning it around,but his stats are skewed a bit because of garbage time stats vs. Denver. But even so, he has not pulled in a lot of his targets. We have killed Dobson for having a higher completion to target rate.

Our receivers are better than their stats. Like I said, our O-line is a mess, and Flacco is below average without ample time and space. So it isn't our receivers fault that Flacco is too slow making his reads to find them or that Flacco throws it up for grabs or inaccurately, all because he gets hassled after about 1.5 seconds every play. As for slot guys, Stokley has been serviceable and Deonte Thompson actually looks decent if he can stay healthy (last week was his first game and he got hurt again....lit up with a hit).

The fact our O-line cannot run block, also is a problem. It leads to a ton of 3rd and longs. Last week we threw it every play but one in the second half, literally. The defenses we are facing pin their ears back on most of our pass plays.

Flacco is better than average, for sure, with decent protection. Not great, mind you, but better than average.

In the playoffs last year he had the best protection he has had in several years, and it showed. His physical tools are great, his issue is between the ears, and with enough time in the pocket, that issue doesn't hurt him too much. When rushed, he flails (worse than the average QB flails). He has had a lot of games that looked like those playoff performances (or close to it), they just come inconsistently and usually against semi-dubious defenses (because we could protect him against those defenses).

And of course Cam Cameron was a lead anchor on our offense the whole time he was here, even if Caldwell seems a bit sketchy himself.

We are going to struggle this year for sure, but if Monroe (and scheme or other personnel change) sures up the O-line, we can easily make the playoffs (win 10 games).

I will give you Flacco is probably better than average, but not much better.

I also agree that the o-line is the Ravens weakest link.

We will have to agree to disagree on your WRs.

He might finally put it together this year, but his first two years are exactly what I said he was - one of the biggest c**k teases in the NFL. He would have one all world games (like he had vs the Pats in the regular season last year) followed by two or three games where you have to ask if he even played.

This year he has been more consistent and may be turning it around,but his stats are skewed a bit because of garbage time stats vs. Denver. But even so, he has not pulled in a lot of his targets. We have killed Dobson for having a higher completion to target rate.

If Dobson were on the Ravens he would have stats similar to Marlon Brown....or likely worse.

The receiver can only get open and catch well-thrown balls. Our receivers do both pretty well. They just aren't seen/thrown to when they are open a lot of the times, or the throw is late/inaccurate. Neither are their fault.

It is impossible to judge our WRs from stats (catch rate, yds per game, etc), because the whole offense sucks. Marlon Brown has made a handful of leaping, jumping, diving catches that plenty of young/dubious WRs do not make. He also hasn't blatantly dropped balls. And he is getting open. That is all one can ask of a WR, everything else is someone else's responsibility.

I can assure you that if Torrey Smith were on the Pats, he would have a higher catch rate, more TDs, and no less yards. You guys have a better offense....scheme, QB, O-line, running game, all of it is better.

If Dobson were on the Ravens he would have stats similar to Marlon Brown....or likely worse.

The receiver can only get open and catch well-thrown balls. Our receivers do both pretty well. They just aren't seen/thrown to when they are open a lot of the times, or the throw is late/inaccurate. Neither are their fault.

It is impossible to judge our WRs from stats (catch rate, yds per game, etc), because the whole offense sucks. Marlon Brown has made a handful of leaping, jumping, diving catches that plenty of young/dubious WRs do not make. He also hasn't blatantly dropped balls. And he is getting open. That is all one can ask of a WR, everything else is someone else's responsibility.

I can assure you that if Torrey Smith were on the Pats, he would have a higher catch rate, more TDs, and no less yards. You guys have a better offense....scheme, QB, O-line, running game, all of it is better.

Smith would be having as many problems or more than the rookies on the Pats' team. Smith for all his strengths, route running and presnap adjustments are among his biggest weaknesses. Maybe on a team like the Cowboys that run a very simple offense that allows their receivers to use their physical skills over their minds, he could be far better than he is in Baltimore. But he would struggle with the Patriots.

The first few games with the Pats' rookies show that just getting open on plays does not mean they will be successful. The Pats are all about timing and the QB and WR seeing the same thing on defense and making the route adjustments on the fly. I don't think that plays into Smith's wheelhouse.

I think Smith has the physical ability to be one of the top WRs in the league. I question whether he has the consistency and smarts to reach that level though.

What bothers me is that the Ravens can pick up the 8th player picked in his draft year for a few 3rd day picks. Its not like he was a bust. He started every game since he got to Jacksonville. This seems to easy. Its a great move by Ozzie, or a really dumb move by the Jags.

I understand that the Jags might want to move him because he's a LT and they have Jockel, and he's coming up on his contract year. But for a couple of 3rd day picks???? That doesn't seem like good value to me. Is there something wrong with this guy?

I don't think it was a dumb move for the Jags. They aren't going anywhere this year, Monroe was leaving this offseason, and Joeckel is strictly a LT and sucked at RT. Pretty much the only correct move there is to trade Monroe. Really the only thing that surprises me is that they didn't get more for him, considering how many teams (Cardinals, Steelers, Ravens for starters) desperately need a quality LT. It was a great deal for the Ravens, assuming they re-sign Monroe at some point, but it was also the right move for the Jags.

Smith would be having as many problems or more than the rookies on the Pats' team. Smith for all his strengths, route running and presnap adjustments are among his biggest weaknesses. Maybe on a team like the Cowboys that run a very simple offense that allows their receivers to use their physical skills over their minds, he could be far better than he is in Baltimore. But he would struggle with the Patriots.

The first few games with the Pats' rookies show that just getting open on plays does not mean they will be successful. The Pats are all about timing and the QB and WR seeing the same thing on defense and making the route adjustments on the fly. I don't think that plays into Smith's wheelhouse.

I think Smith has the physical ability to be one of the top WRs in the league. I question whether he has the consistency and smarts to reach that level though.

Couldn't disagree more. The problem I saw with your rookies was drops more than anything.

And I am not sure what evidence you are relying on to conclude Torrey isn't smart enough to learn your offense, but I disagree completely with that conclusion.

You are merely penalizing Smith for our poor offense (scheme, O-line, and QB when hurried) by focusing on catch rates, because he gets open and rarely drops the ball. And his route-running is orders of magnitude better than it was when he joined the league, improving it was a big focus and it shows.

Anyway, I assure you that Ravens fans and people that watch every single play of every single game think our WRs are the least of our offensive problems. Torrey is vastly exceeding expectations, and so is Marlon Brown. Just about every other spot on the offense, with the exception of Yanda, is much more shaky/dubious.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back