PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapp: Bennett exit . real possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replied back to him saying:
"You're being paid to play a game. How about a little perspective instead of arrogance? #behumble"

What a shallow and stupid thing to say. the average workday of a pro football player would make the average office worker throw up and want to die. They are not being "paid to play a game." They are paid to make football their LIFE

I replied back to him saying:
"You're being paid to play a game. How about a little perspective instead of arrogance? #behumble"

its completely ridiculous of athletes to compare their decisions, etc to everyday working class people who make $40-50k a year on average and will have to do that for the next 30+ years to make a living...

The scale of money just gets so silly, and there are other revenue streams that can be created to exceed the money you left on the table to take a bit less money on a winner..

I don't fault anyone for wanting to go make the most they can, while they can... but perspective is key when they open their mouth and start trying to relate or compare to middle class workers

Last edited:
Hightower has two rings

Brady has 5. Doesn't stop him from taking less than market deal now does it?

I'd rather look at more things than I can wear, versus a few extra million in my bank account that already has tens of millions.

I definitely see your point of view, but I think Edelman realizes he has built a brand and following here that would be tough to rebuild elsewhere. I'm sure a few mil extra could ease his concern though.

If I recall correctly I think the Bears and Giants expressed interest in him when he was a free agent.

There was interest when he was a free agent but I do not believe the contract was ever offered. To put it simply, he had no choice but to come back to the patriots and kudos to him for making a wonderful brand and career for himself. The story is more about Julian Edelman being a mentally and physically tough human being, than "TB12 makes everyone great." ( which is true, Tom Brady does make everyone great… But JE11 is a Patriots legend in my mind).

Haha. Again : who knows ? Gut has been saying "gone" for weeks. But who really knows ? A tweet in the offseason won't ruin things in NE. But his age + what he will probably command on the open market will most likely make this thing a one year funfest.

I don't think the tweet would play a role in anything. I also don't think whatever Chandler Jones for smoking had anything to do with anything...same with the Michael Floyd signing. I also don't think Jacoby Brissette will be a lifetime patriot simply because he's the greatest human being to play football since McGinest, Troy Brown and anyone else he's been compared to. Logan Mankind called the owner and establishment "a liar", and still got a contract.
You don't get to be the five time Super Bowl winning HC/GM by making huge decisions based on social aspects. You make them based on business decisions as a front office person, and play performance on the field.
If they can compromise on money and the patriots are happy with his performance, he will be here.
If he wants more than they're willing to pay, he is gone. We all know that.

One thing for sure, tweeting moronic things about how "it's only a game" to Bennett is not going to change his mind. One generally does not make a sale by displaying one's ignorance. To a pro baller, it isn't only a game.

What a shallow and stupid thing to say. the average workday of a pro football player would make the average office worker throw up and want to die. They are not being "paid to play a game." They are paid to make football their LIFE

It's neither shallow nor stupid unless you can't be bothered to actually pay attention to the world today. Most jobs aren't "office workers" in this country. They are service based. And many of them put in 10-12 hours a day (or more). Not to mention that there are plenty of people out there who work 2 jobs. It would seem to me that you have too narrow a view of reality..

Yes, they are being paid to play a game because that is what football is. A game. No one is telling him he should play for 3-4M instead of 7M. Him acting like 7M is beneath him is arrogance.. Plain and simple.

I'd rather look at more things than I can wear, versus a few extra million in my bank account that already has tens of millions.

Your point is valid but I think Brady's situation is unlike any other and should not be used for comparison purposes.

1.) He has a supermodel wife at home who makes a gazillion dollars. I know, I know, even millionaires wouldn't want to leave millions on the table, but between Tom and Giselle combined we're talking 'stupid rich' which probably makes him more willing to sacrifice for point 2. (What's the difference between rich and 'stupid rich'.....I don't know....but I definitely know that Tom is 'stupid rich').

2.) Tom has been in discussions as being the possible G.O.A.T. since early on in his career. I think he does care about his legacy in the game and he knows it's in his best interest to occupy less of a cap hit tahn his should to allow for a better team capabale of winning.

3.) I debated on whether or not to include this becuase of course I'll have no way of knowing..........but there are many who believe that Tom Brady has special considerations with Kraft when it comes to making up for monetary value that doesn't go against the cap. Prime location for selling TB12 merchandise at Patriot Place? Possible future part ownership considerations? Again, obviously I'll have no way of knowing but there are many who believe this so I figured it was worth adding as a note.

One thing for sure, tweeting moronic things about how "it's only a game" to Bennett is not going to change his mind. One generally does not make a sale by displaying one's ignorance. To a pro baller, it isn't only a game.

The only thing moronic is your posts attacking me. Furthermore, you might do yourself some good to learn more about Bennett and the fact that he shot his way out of town for his previous 3 teams..

The only one displaying his ignorance is you, Simpleton.. Welcome to the ignore list..

The only thing moronic is your posts attacking me. Furthermore, you might do yourself some good to learn more about Bennett and the fact that he shot his way out of town for his previous 3 teams..

The only one displaying his ignorance is you, Simpleton.. Welcome to the ignore list..
So you got caught doing something stupid and then bragging about it and your solution is to put me on the ignore list. Good job.

For the record, in case those with working cerebrums are interested, Bennett is not shooting his way out of town, he's simply not going out of his way to remain here, so your statement is beyond irrelevant. Bennett was a model citizen all year, played a sizeable role in the Superbowl LI win, and now he wants to cash in. Fair dues as far as I'm concerned, I'm fine with that, and even if I'd rather keep him (and I would) I don't feel the need to harass the guy with tweets that try to shame him into staying. Because that's stupid and ignorant and likely only to backfire spectacularly.

And I'm certainly smart enough not to tell a pro athlete that the thing he's devoted his life to is just "a game." Even if that's true for most of us, it sure as hell isn't true to Martellus Bennett.

Not buying that. I'm not being paid millions of dollars to play football. A good chunk of his salary is incumbent upon ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. In short: he needs us more than we need him.

Quantum Mechanic, the Pats won four SBs without MB. What exactly are you disagreeing with again? Are you simply trying to stir the pot?

Last edited:
Id guess Gronk doesn't see Bennett coming back .. and certainly seems he doesn't mind that at all..

quote:
"I'm hoping that he breaks the bank," Gronkowski said, according ESPN NASCAR reporter Bob Pockrass. "Whenever you see a tight end break the bank, it's good for the industry; it's good for the position. You want to see the position grow."

Maybe “NFL's most lethal 1-2 tight end combination“ just wasn't meant to be..

Reiss full article
Rob Gronkowski hopes Martellus Bennett 'breaks the bank'

Thanks for your efforts and humor Marty.

Good luck finding what you're looking for

I want Marty back, but I'm more of in the camp if the player wants to get paid go get paid. An NFL career goes by really fast. You have to maximize your earnings as much as possible. The teams will still be making a lot of money after the player retires from the game. It's a business we cannot get upset over players leaving for more money

its completely ridiculous of athletes to compare their decisions, etc to everyday working class people who make $40-50k a year on average and will have to do that for the next 30+ years to make a living...

The scale of money just gets so silly, and there are other revenue streams that can be created to exceed the money you left on the table to take a bit less money on a winner..

I don't fault anyone for wanting to go make the most they can, while they can... but perspective is key when they open their mouth and start trying to relate or compare to middle class workers

Nice to see Mr. Quantified Entanglement disagreeing with common sense again. Congrats, another notch in my ignore list.

His wife makes like 35 million per year. Plus he's got Under Armour and those stupid mattress commercials, among other things. Hightower doesn't have the endorsements or star power. How many people outside of NE fans even know who he is?

Congratulations simpleton. You are now where everyone wants to be!!

Hightower doesn't have the endorsements or star power. How many people outside of NE fans even know who he is?

After that strip sack in the Super Bowl, a lot of people in Atlanta know who he is.

The bottom line for me is I don't really want Bennett back unless it's a team deal. Thanks for the season, Marty, but I don't want to spend that money on an aging TE in a great TE class. Time to take two TE to team with Gronk and fix the position for good (or for 4 years anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes