PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapp: Bennett exit . real possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting that if Bennett does take less than his open market value to stay with the Pats (after all, that's the only way he stays with the Pats), that it would completely unfathomable for a lesser caliber player to make more than Bennett in the open market?

You are not seriously suggesting that, are you?

But if you want names just in 2016 alone the following players produced less but were paid more............

Jordan Reed
Julius Thomas
Charles Clay
Jason Witten
Dwayne Allen
Coby Fleener
Vance MacDonald
Antonio Gates

And Amendola when he came to the Pats, made a ton more than Edelman, then Edelman won the Welker role, and Amendola was an expensive backup. Amendola took a lower salary to stay. It happens. 7 million is not cheap, it's a good offer to stay on a championship team. Who knows, he may wind up on the Pats still. But what he is looking to do is the same thing Revis did, nothing different. I like the kind of player that understands that winning and an excellent salary is better than losing and a great salary. That is what they call hometown discount. It really tells you what is more important to the player. Unlike his tweet, they didn't offer him a pay cut, they offered him an increase, a generous one at that.

I'll share a non-confirming opinion and some personal experience. 1.5 years ago I left a job making $165,000 for one paying $235,000. I like my current job very much, and like the people I work with. That said, if someone comes along and offers me $300,000 to do the same thing for another company I will leave without a second thought. I try and think like an athlete and maximize my earnings while I am able because there are some loose parallels between the high-end medical sales world I am in and that of the pro athlete.

1.) ageism is rampant in my field...once I hit about 45 it will become tougher to find work

2.) many people have suggested because of my income that I should take a "hometown discount" to stay at a previous company when a much higher offer was available.

3.) My responsibility is to maximize my earnings for my family because that is why I do this job...money. If it wasn't for the money I would be doing something very different.

All that to say that I don't begrudge these guys for getting every penny someone will pay them.

And that's the problem with people taking paycuts. The fans side with the employers. In any conversation about salary fans and owners are natural allies. We through ownership pay their salaries. We like owners have every reason to want their salaries to be low. So we, like they, have a tendency to, as the Bible put it, "oppress the hireling in his wages." And every time the players give in, the fans, and the owners, use that to try to pressure more players to give in, and to give in by more.

These guys are putting their bodies on the line to make as much money as possible in a VERY VERY short playing window. The fact that some players, inspired by this and that, want to take less than they absolutely should earn in order to allow the team around them to be stronger is absolutely not a reason to condemn those who are trying to make the most of their godgiven talent in order to take care of themselves, their families, their future, or hell, just have 60 cars and a new hooker every night if that's what they want.

It's their bodies they're laying out and accepting permanent injuries (not even the risk of permanent injuries, show me a retired pro baller who doesn't have substantial health issues and I'll show you fairies, unicorns, leprechauns and many other fantasy things that simply don't exist). Let them go get what they can. It's not like if the owners successfully cheap out and crowd down all the players' salaries, ticket prices will go down. Ticket prices haven't been tied to salary in decades.

You play the game to win, not extract every last dime from owners. If Bob Kraft pockets an extra 5 million that I don't but I get a shiny SB ring or two then that's all that matters.

Then I have to listen to some ex players whine about not having been to a SB or whatnot. Sure didn't stop them from going somewhere for more money and lose than take less to win.

Sports are just a game, not a job. So long as I'm being compensated quite adequately I want to win. That should be their only goal.

I'll share a non-confirming opinion and some personal experience. 1.5 years ago I left a job making $165,000 for one paying $235,000. I like my current job very much, and like the people I work with. That said, if someone comes along and offers me $300,000 to do the same thing for another company I will leave without a second thought. I try and think like an athlete and maximize my earnings while I am able because there are some loose parallels between the high-end medical sales world I am in and that of the pro athlete.

1.) ageism is rampant in my field...once I hit about 45 it will become tougher to find work

2.) many people have suggested because of my income that I should take a "hometown discount" to stay at a previous company when a much higher offer was available.

3.) My responsibility is to maximize my earnings for my family because that is why I do this job...money. If it wasn't for the money I would be doing something very different.

All that to say that I don't begrudge these guys for getting every penny someone will pay them.

Comparing actual jobs with sports is pure folly. There is no equivelency. In sports it's about being one of the very few who win titles. It's rarified air. When you talk about multiples...

You play the game to win, not extract every last dime from owners. If Bob Kraft pockets an extra 5 million that I don't but I get a shiny SB ring or two then that's all that matters.

Then I have to listen to some ex players whine about not having been to a SB or whatnot. Sure didn't stop them from going somewhere for more money and lose than take less to win.

Sports are just a game, not a job. So long as I'm being compensated quite adequately I want to win. That should be their only goal.

Lol

1.) thats not how the salary cap works.

2.)For them sports IS work. Brady spends THOUSANDS of dollars on training, food, etc. this isn't some intramural flag football nonsense. this is something they do all day, every day. they have hardly any off season.

3.)A lot of these guys have no backup plan, once they are done playing, they are done earning money.

4.)Injuries cause huge issues long term in terms of medical care.

Lol

2.)For them sports IS work. Brady spends THOUSANDS of dollars on training, food, etc. this isn't some intramural flag football nonsense. this is something they do all day, every day. they have hardly any off season.

3.)A lot of these guys have no backup plan, once they are done playing, they are done earning money.

Agree...also many of these guys are unemployable in any other job.

Lol

I know how the salary cap works vs actual real cash spent.

In reference to TB, he says he loves training and all that goes with that. He's hardly the example that should be used in this debate.

People act like they aren't getting paid millions. I've said time and time again, if the team wants you back, and you currently play in say, NE, Seattle, Green Bay, Dallas, etc and the money is relatively close, you are a certified moron for leaving. Certified.

I'm sure that extra mil to 2 is going to make a massive difference in your lifestyle versus the spotlight of national games and deep playoff runs and the possible financial benefits from that.

I don't think anyone in their right mind expects him back in 2017. It makes TE a need in the draft.

It makes TE a need in the off-season. Be it Free Agency or the Draft.. Luckily, this is supposedly a deep draft for TE.

I wouldn't be adverse to the Pats bringing Mike Williams back as a blocking TE. Also wouldn't be surprised if they bring Scruggs back as a TC possibility once he's healthy.

May or may not get a comp depending who we sign/lose.

But yeah :

Sure it's his right but those making millions shouldn't compare their situations to those making thousands.

I replied back to him saying:
"You're being paid to play a game. How about a little perspective instead of arrogance? #behumble"

I know how the salary cap works vs actual real cash spent.

In reference to TB, he says he loves training and all that goes with that. He's hardly the example that should be used in this debate.

People act like they aren't getting paid millions. I've said time and time again, if the team wants you back, and you currently play in say, NE, Seattle, Green Bay, Dallas, etc and the money is relatively close, you are a certified moron for leaving. Certified.

I'm sure that extra mil to 2 is going to make a massive difference in your lifestyle versus the spotlight of national games and deep playoff runs and the possible financial benefits from that.

2 million after taxes, then you have agent fees, then you have league dues.

you end up with about half that.

With a chance to win a ring? Easy trade off.

And Amendola when he came to the Pats, made a ton more than Edelman, then Edelman won the Welker role, and Amendola was an expensive backup. Amendola took a lower salary to stay. It happens. .

Yes, it does happen, and you can be that probably didn't sit well with Edelman. That's my point.

Don't get me wrong, there have been and will be more exceptions to the rule. I just don't take Bennett to be one of those exceptions.

After first few games my pats FA list
Hightower,
Bennet,
Butler,
Harmon,
Develin

Today pats FA list,
Dont care, everyone of them has some issues, Butler is probably the best of these 3.

And Amendola when he came to the Pats, made a ton more than Edelman, then Edelman won the Welker role, and Amendola was an expensive backup. Amendola took a lower salary to stay. It happens..

Look, I'll end my piece here and don't mean any ill will with this but I do find this to be an odd debate......

Your first response was challenging me to name players that have produced less than Bennett while getting paid more (as if they didn't exist).

Then I give you a list of players that have done just that.

Then your next response was explaining to me that 'it happens.' despite your first inquiry almost suggesting it doesn't. I know 'it happens' as I explained in my post, it doesn't mean guys have to like it. Bennett seems like a guy who wants to make as much as possible, and I don't blame him.

Look, I'll end my piece here and don't mean any ill will with this but I do find this to be an odd debate......

Your first response was challenging me to name players that have produced less than Bennett while getting paid more (as if they didn't exist).

Then I give you a list of players that have done just that.

Then your next response was explaining to me that 'it happens.' despite your first inquiry almost suggesting it doesn't. I know 'it happens' as I explained in my post, it doesn't mean guys have to like it. Bennett seems like a guy who wants to make as much as possible, and I don't blame him.
I appreciate your comments. I guess I didn't word my feelings correctly. Bottom line, I don't like greedy players. Never have, never will. This is Darelle Mevis all over again. My mindset is, If I've made 100 million in my career, and I'm being offered 7 million a year to play on a championship team, that should be worth something. Big deal, he'll walk away for 8 million-10 million to play on a crappy team, that's his problem, just like the soon to be unemployed Mevis.

Also, you have to think about the environment. The Pats let him be himself, which on occasion is quite odd. He admitted no other team ever let him be himself. He may once again wind up on one of those less tolerant teams. So be it, I guess a couple mill more is more important to him. Good discussion/debate though, you made some great points.

I appreciate your comments. I guess I didn't word my feelings correctly. Bottom line, I don't like greedy players. Never have, never will. This is Darelle Mevis all over again. My mindset is, If I've made 100 million in my career, and I'm being offered 7 million a year to play on a championship team, that should be worth something. Big deal, he'll walk away for 8 million-10 million to play on a crappy team, that's his problem, just like the soon to be unemployed Mevis.

Also, you have to think about the environment. The Pats let him be himself, which on occasion is quite odd. He admitted no other team ever let him be himself. He may once again wind up on one of those less tolerant teams. So be it, I guess a couple mill more is more important to him. Good discussion/debate though, you made some great points.

I can work with that. Good talk.

Depends what people value. Some people value the most $$ and will chase it and dont care about environment. Some people are willing to trade more $$ for a better environment. Its all about you personally. I know plenty of people who have left high paying jobs to make less because of other things they value.

Im sure of you asked Revis today he probably would say he should have stayed on the pats. Welker too

for athletes, whatever they lose in salary they can make up for in endorsements by being on a winning team. Lets not forget that. Much easier for edelman and gronk to get all these endorsements winning 14 games a year than being on the jags

Just whatever team overpays for bennett dont be surprised when he starts whining about being on a losing team like he did in chicago. Hes a guy who wants his cake and to eat it too

Agent fees are capped. I forget what the percentage is.. Something like 3%.
NFLPA dues aren't that much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back