PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Mac Jones Likely a Trade Candidate this Offseason

No. Defenses caught on at the tail end of his rookie year....when Josh was here.
I'm referring to the production, strictly his production. If we got that from the position as whole we'd be in the playoffs.

61f9511645edd800183b7944

eagles-fan-tom-brady-strip-sack-tattoo.jpg

Tom_Brady_Sacked_Into_Obvlivion.jpg

Yes, they decided to ruin a guy!

It's not on him for sucking.

The same coaches who brought along Matt Cassel and even Tom Brady, and hell, Bailey Zappe!

Sometimes the QBs just flat out suck: Darnold wasn't ruined by multiple OCs, Zach Wilson wasn't ruined by multiple OCs, Trubisky wasn't ruined by multiple OCs. All the QBs whoever busted were not ruined by multiple OCs. They just flat out sucked.

People continue to underrate how bad Mac Jones truly is.

First, bad teams ruin young QBs all the time. It isn't that they want to ruin the guy. They just do stupid things to ruin them like making a defensive coordinator the OC and a special teams coach the QB coach. I doubt Belichick did that to ruin Jones, but it was an unintended consequence.

Second, Brady had Weis (and **** Reibein in 2000) and Cassel had McDaniels to help develop them over multiple years.

Third, Zappe sucked last year. And you can make the argument that once teams got a book on him, he was as big as a disaster as Mac was when they benched him.

Fourth, I think you overrate how bad Mac sucked and how he was far worse than he could be because he turned into a head case in part because the Patriots set him up to fail.

Mac owns a majority of his failures, but he was set up to fail in New England. Not intentionally, but that was the results of Belichick's hubris.

First, bad teams ruin young QBs all the time. It isn't that they want to ruin the guy. They just do stupid things to ruin them like making a defensive coordinator the OC and a special teams coach the QB coach. I doubt Belichick did that to ruin Jones, but it was an unintended consequence.

Second, Brady had Weis (and **** Reibein in 2000) and Cassel had McDaniels to help develop them over multiple years.

Third, Zappe sucked last year. And you can make the argument that once teams got a book on him, he was as big as a disaster as Mac was when they benched him.

Fourth, I think you overrate how bad Mac sucked and how he was far worse than he could be because he turned into a head case in part because the Patriots set him up to fail.

Mac owns a majority of his failures, but he was set up to fail in New England. Not intentionally, but that was the results of Belichick's hubris.
Name the QBs. I named several QBs who had multiple bad OCs in their first contracts. You're saying all these bust QBs were ruined? It's a lot more likely the that the coaches were ruined by the bust QBs. The coaches that survive that are the ones who were allowed to cut bait quickly with their busts.

Zappe was a ton better than Mac. All his teammates preferred to play with Zappe. That tells you everything. And yes Zappe sucks.

If Trey Lance can get a 4th round pick, Mac could get something decent like that.

Name the QBs. I named several QBs who had multiple bad OCs in their first contracts. You're saying all these bust QBs were ruined? It's a lot more likely the that the coaches were ruined by the bust QBs. The coaches that survive that are the ones who were allowed to cut bait quickly with their busts.

Zappe was a ton better than Mac. All his teammates preferred to play with Zappe. That tells you everything. And yes Zappe sucks.

Geno Smith. Baker Mayfield. Those are two right off the top of my head.

The last two games, Zappe was worse than Mac. The only reason they didn't bring back Mac is because Belichick was done with him.

And the lockerroom were divided. There were Mac guys and Zappe guys. Based on the comments by Judon this week, the defense was done with both of them by the end of the season.

If Trey Lance can get a 4th round pick, Mac could get something decent like that.

I think Lance was a case of Jerrah being Jerrah. I don't know if you can use him as a comp. Supposedly, Jerry Jones made the trade for Lance without telling his GM or head coach.

Disagree because Lance has a rocket arm and is a physical freak. Always an OC who believes they can work with that.

Mac was sold as a guy everyone knew had low-end athleticism and arm, but brilliant mind.

Issue was, he wilted regularly under pressure, and his arm was WORSE outside the numbers than anyone realized.

Has to have a perfect pocket at all times. You just aren’t likely to get that in the NFL regularly.

5-6 rounder at best is what I see. 5th possible this year because reports are that teams aren’t pumped about talent after rd 4.

If you look at our situation - many recognize we'd be best served to have a vet FA to hold down the offense if we draft a rookie.
Another team would see the same thing - a former 1st rounder with good pedigree would be worth a low draft pick.
So, I think Mac would be serviceable as a backup QB on a team that actually doesn't hate him and try to destroy his psyche.

Steve Young, Vinny Testaverde, Rich Gannon...

Geno Smith. Baker Mayfield. Those are two right off the top of my head.

The last two games, Zappe was worse than Mac. The only reason they didn't bring back Mac is because Belichick was done with him.

And the lockerroom were divided. There were Mac guys and Zappe guys. Based on the comments by Judon this week, the defense was done with both of them by the end of the season.
There are no Mac guys in the locker room. Did you read Judon's open comments to the press? Damning.

Baker Mayfield and Geno Smith may be better QBs than all the guys I mentioned, but how were they ruined? Baker had several years to show what he could do and he did well.

In fact, he had much better years than the year he had this year.

These comparisons are mind boggling, to say the least. Mayfield was a bonafide QB putting together several seasons.

He had 75 TDs and 43 INTs in his first 3 seasons. Compare that to Mac Jones. Mayfield had a 96 rating in his 3rd yr.

Last edited:
Soon to be......

Martin Luther King Jr Protest GIF by GIPHY News
Praying I Hope GIF by The Paley Center for Media

@TommyD4207 you still holding strong that Mac is under center for us week 1?

(1) he’s better off on another team, for all involved
(2) while there is no question he faced adversity, blaming others for his misfortune is beyond ridiculous - you’re a pro, Mac, improve / produce / stop whining
(3) perhaps a fresh start gives him what he needs, but I fear he’ll amount to very little in this league
(4) I really had high hopes - especially during his rookie year - but it all went to Hell

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back