PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

I like this more than I expected I would. Being a players' coach is really important these days, and Mayo seems savant-ish.

I remember the day he was drafted. I was at Club Med in Malaysia and couldn't get a good enough signal to get online so @Keegs texted me to tell me who they chose. What a weird and true story. I miss Keegs (and Kontra).

So basically everything Mayo has learned about football and coaching since he was in college came from Bill Belichick.

Which used to be high praise. That's what made Mangini and Crennel and McDaniels and Judge and Patricia and Flores attractive head coaching hires. Because the other teams wanted a Belichick but he wasn't available because was working for the Patriots.

Thing is, we already had a Belichick.

What I do like, as a fan, is there's a tie back to the history and the dynasty. A continuity of story that most teams wouldn't get or never get. Hopefully it works in the W/L column when it comes time to play football games.

Great choice, meritocracy has many merits. He was always the heir apparent, good to see Kraft kept his promise.
He will have to surround himself with a great OC (McDaniels?) and a new DC, as well as look at Achord and his ST's.
I hope the FO brain trust can deliver as they should..
A new chapter begins..
The learning curve is not as great as it might be as he knows the players and their capabilities..
I agree with what you say regarding Kraft’s commitment and the front office.

I’m not so sure about the OC/DC. I think there’s a good chance O’Brien stays because he’s under contract for next season (I believe this is accurate).

I also wouldn’t mind keeping Steve as the DC if he wants to stay. I think he’s done a good job with the D and he’ll become his own man so to speak.

Just, file this away

Done.

Throw It Out There We Go GIF by Progressive

So basically everything Mayo has learned about football and coaching since he was in college came from Bill Belichick.

Thing is, we already had a Belichick.
The goal was to get rid of Belichick the GM. Belichick the coach was collateral damage. Nobody thinks Mayo is going to be 2001-2018 Belichick and that wasn't really the point (though obviously they believe he can be good.)

The decision to move on from Belichick will sink or swim based on the new GM's performance more than anything.

Most HOF coaches.

-Paul Brown's first team was the Browns
-Vince Lombardi's first pro HC job was the Packers
-Tom Landry got his HC start on the Cowboys
-Chuck Noll on the Steelers
-Joe Gibbs on the Redskins
-Shula didn't have his most famous run on the Colts but he brought them to a Super Bowl.
-Parcells first HC was the Giants run.
-Cowher on the Steelers.
-Jimmy Johnson's first HC was the Cowboys
-Bill Walsh on the 49'ers.

If you want current examples. McVay's first HC job is his current one and he won a Super Bowl.

Of the current playoff teams.

-Ravens: John Harbaughs first HC job
-Bills: McDermott's first HC job
-Texans: Ryans first HC job
-Browns: Stefanski's first HC job
-Dolphins: McDaniel's first HC job
-Steelers: Tomlins first and only HC job
-49'ers: Shanahans first HC job
-Lions: Campbells first HC job (aside from an interim run)
-Eagles: Sirianni's first HC job
-Rams" Mcvay's first job as mentioned above
-Lafluer's first HC job.

Only 3 of the 14 playoff teams don't have a coach in their first HC station. The Chiefs (Andy Reid), the Cowboys (McCarthy), the Bucanners (Bowles). One of them won a Super Bowl with their first team (McCarthy) and the other made his name and went to a Super Bowl with his first team (Reid).
Thanks for all that effort. I think what I’m getting at is most people who wanted Bill gone wanted a brand new high powered offense. Shiny new weapons .. I’m being somewhat tongue in cheek… I’m gonna imagine moving forward will be not much different. Hopefully not … but we shall see.

I like this more than I expected I would. Being a players' coach is really important these days, and Mayo seems savant-ish.

I remember the day he was drafted. I was at Club Med in Malaysia and couldn't get a good enough signal to get online so @Keegs texted me to tell me who they chose. What a weird and true story. I miss Keegs (and Kontra).
Can't remember who drafted him?

The more I think about this and the more I read Mayo is a great choice. It was widely reported he was the heir apparent after Mr. Kraft promised that role to him when the time came, if he had reneged it may have effected veteran players. Players are responding positively to the move.
When you move into a position of power you disregard what was not working and strengthen what did work.
My only question is will there be a role for "Miss Mayo"???

For this current generation you need a Players Coach and not a disciplinarian.
Until you need a disciplinarian. These things are generally cyclical.

A nice perk of hiring Mayo here?

I don’t think we’ll have major difficulty locking Barmore up long term. He loves Jerod.

Why vrabel instead of mayo?
I’m not sure what vrabel did in Tennessee is a positive factor.
oh I don't know... Maybe a bit more coaching experience?

I don’t think we’ll have major difficulty locking Barmore up long term. He loves Jerod.
I think he’ll be appealing at free agents as well.

oh I don't know... Maybe a bit more coaching experience?
Successful experience is a plus in my opinion. Not successful
experience is not.
Look at it this way, if Mayo replicates what Vrabel did in Tennessee do you look back and say great hire?

Let's just support him and hope for the best. it's kind of a crap shot like drafting a QB. The saying is 'all coaches are hired to be fired', and we just proved that.

I think he’ll be appealing at free agents as well.
Especially on defense.

You know what there is a ton of this year in free agency? Pass rushers:

Chris Jones
Jonathan Greenard (13 sacks this year!)
Madubike
Denice Autry
Clowney
Christian Wilkins
Dorance Armstrong
Brian Burns
Chase Young
Josh Allen
Danielle Hunter
Leonard Floyd
Zadarius Smith
Bud Dupree

And that’s not even the full list. It worked out well splurging for Judon. I say let’s do it again.

Also worth noting how off the ball LB has also been less of a priority for us in recent years since Hightower left.

Have to wonder though if Mayo sees value at the position, being a former one himself. Maybe he goes after a Patrick Queen or Devin White?

Well now it's official. But weren't the Patriots supposed to interview outside minority candidates before hiring him?

From what I've read Mayo is considered 'a player's coach' but he really has very little experience as a headcoach ie NONE yet.

He'll probably be just fine coaching the defense but he's going to need a lot of help in the other departments.

GM is going to be very important to get a seasoned guy who has a good track record at picking talent.

Hopefully we get a new OC as well. I have questions whether OB was the right guy after what we saw last season.

Last edited:

Ok sure. Barmore coming back is good but it's a 53 man roster and I presume the GM will do the contract negotiations anyway.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back