PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

I think we will do much better with free agents wanting to come here now.
I think we should trade up to 1 or trade for Fields is my bet.
Doubt that. It’s almost always money. Rare case that a free agent might sign in part to get a chance championship or to play with a guy like Brady, but those aren’t true here

Comments like keep the approach but modernize it scare the hell out of me.
The surest way to fail is to pick someone to emulate but change the things that were really what made them successful. No ind has ever been successful trying to duplicate someone else. It just doesn’t work, especially where people are involved because the interpersonal dynamic is way to complex to pick out what was ultimately a positive approach and what was ultimately negative.

the approach works on every level in situations in and out of sport......groups of people working together, to see the most success, need to be committed to the common goal, need to put their ego and personal desires aside to all pull in the same direction......sounds cliche, but its common to every succesful group endeavor, other than the rare situation where a bunch of assholes pull of some random feet

you see it with every great sports franchise......what BB did wasn't out of the ordinary, he just 1000% committed to it to the point of using some of the same assessments navy seals use to weed out candidates......to the point of missing changes in positional importance and evolving skillsets within positions, to the point of thinking, seemingly, that all that mattered was the right KIND of player.....he is also 72, and relating to players was sometimes hard i'd think

doesn't change the fact that the basic culture he cultivated was the right one......even a majority of players on this current squad say they'd rather play here than elsewhere, that they loved playing for Bill.....having played here his entire career, and coached here, I have zero doubt that Mayo will keep that consistent & persistent culture intact

I think the story behind the story is that belichick was already planning to retire within a couple of years. Mayo was the succession plan. They took a look, said we have to draft and play a rookie qb and accept a few years of struggle so let’s move up the timetable. Makes sense with the “mutual” part. Belichick wouldn’t be here long enough to develop the qb, and doesn’t have enough time left to revamp a team he won’t be here for when the qb is ready. Give Mayo his shot, and then after 2-3 losing seasons bring in the next guy who isn’t carrying the weight of replacing the GOAT.
If they are smart about using these 3 years with the intention of being good in year 4 or 5 it might work. If they don’t accept reality it could drag on a long time.

Agree with everything you said, except....

Why not Vrabel instead of Mayo? FML

There's been so much to read through the past couple of days that I may not have come across this question:
Do the Pats get a comp pick for hiring Mayo? I know they get one if they hire a minority outside the organization.

Edit: Question Answered

Last edited:
There's been so much to read through the past couple of days that I may not have come across this question:
Do the Pats get a comp pick for hiring Mayo? I know they get one if they hire a minority outside the organization.
No

Mayo has HC potential written all over him. He's a natural leader, players will bust their butt for him but not be able to take advantage of him. It's a great young hire.

He's got a solid defense to rely on, and I hope he promotes Steve Belichick to DC. I'd like a new ST coordinator from outside. OC should be Josh ideally, and the offense obviously needs to be rebuilt. GM is a big question mark to me.

Mayo has HC potential written all over him. He's a natural leader, players will bust their butt for him but not be able to take advantage of him. It's a great young hire.

He's got a solid defense to rely on, and I hope he promotes Steve Belichick to DC. I'd like a new ST coordinator from outside. OC should be Josh ideally, and the offense obviously needs to be rebuilt. GM is a big question mark to me.
If they can poach nick caserio from the Texans. That would be ideal

If they can poach nick caserio from the Texans. That would be ideal
Never

But Adam Peters makes a lot of sense.
I would try to poach Eagles passing game coordinator as OC.
Or Wes Welker.

I like Mayo and I'm glad he's getting a shot. He's got great leadership qualities, he just needs a very good GM and assistant coaching staff around him. My understanding is that BB's organization was very unique with a small staff and none of the modern day analytic staffs and such. Hopefully Mayo and the new GM can modernize things.

What I'm most excited for is his interviews and press conferences. Some found BB's schtick funny. I found it painfully awkward and annoying. Mayo gave a great honest and direct answer to the leaked report of him being abrasive. I look forward to more of that.
I hope Mayo really works out. Loved the player and seems like a great coach, but we’ll see about as HC. I do look forward to getting more info from him as HC. When the pats were winning 12+ games a year and Super Bowls, the I tell you nothing press conferences were ok. Useless, but I didn’t care. As things changed, I wanted more as a fan. I wanted some insight into decisions beyond the mantra of it was in the best interest of the team. Also, can we finally find out what happened with the Malcolm Butler SB benching?

On a side note The Raiders are making a huge mistake if they dont promote Pierce.
I’m sure Atlanta or Tenn would love to have him.

What HC was hired immediately because he was a minority? Not Mayo, so who are you referring to?
I didn't say Kraft hired Mayo because he is a minority, I said he could hire him immediately because he is a minority.

IIRC, if Mayo was white, the team would have had to have interviewed 2 minority candidates, one of whom had to be external, so it would have slowed down the entire process. Since Mayo is a minority, the League allowed the Patriots to name him as Belichick's successor without having to go through all that.

He's going to have to grow into the role, but this team is a few (good) offseasons away from being good again, so there's time for all of it take shape together. OC and GM hires are going to be the most important thing now, as well as pairing that OC with whichever QB (be it rookie or veteran) best fits what that coach is good at.

I’m sorry but you really let bill go for jerod mayo?

Someone get bob booked in

I’m sorry but you really let bill go for jerod mayo?

Someone get bob booked in

It really comes down to. Who was responsible for the defense?

4 in run, 11 in pass. 7th total?

Was it Steve or Mayo. If it's Mayo then this could work out just fine.

Something tells me it has more to do with Bill though.

So are all the dweebs who got their panties in a bunch going to apologize for whining about Curran's reporting? He basically told us what was going to happen about 2 weeks ago.

Agree with everything you said, except....

Why not Vrabel instead of Mayo? FML
Why vrabel instead of mayo?
I’m not sure what vrabel did in Tennessee is a positive factor.

So are all the dweebs who got their panties in a bunch going to apologize for whining about Curran's reporting? He basically told us what was going to happen about 2 weeks ago.

More like 2 months ago.

I think the story behind the story is that belichick was already planning to retire within a couple of years. Mayo was the succession plan. They took a look, said we have to draft and play a rookie qb and accept a few years of struggle so let’s move up the timetable. Makes sense with the “mutual” part. Belichick wouldn’t be here long enough to develop the qb, and doesn’t have enough time left to revamp a team he won’t be here for when the qb is ready. Give Mayo his shot, and then after 2-3 losing seasons bring in the next guy who isn’t carrying the weight of replacing the GOAT.
If they are smart about using these 3 years with the intention of being good in year 4 or 5 it might work. If they don’t accept reality it could drag on a long time.
Bring in the next guy? Listening to Lazar he talks about Kraft not wanting a quick fix but sustained success. They view Mayo as the long term answer to continue with Belichick built. Not 6 SBs but as a handoff ala Pittsburg from Cowher to Tomlin.

I didn't say Kraft hired Mayo because he is a minority, I said he could hire him immediately because he is a minority.

IIRC, if Mayo was white, the team would have had to have interviewed 2 minority candidates, one of whom had to be external, so it would have slowed down the entire process. Since Mayo is a minority, the League allowed the Patriots to name him as Belichick's successor without having to go through all that.

No. It was because he had it written into his contract that he would be Belichick's successor and the league approved his contract. Under the revised Rooney rule, you cannot hire a minority candidate in house unless you interview at least one other minority candidate from outside the organization.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back