PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

I don't hate that's he's the HC at all. Clearly the Patriots organization has thought very highly of him for a long time.
I'm not thrilled there was no search, I'm not thrilled there's no GM, and I'm not thrilled about the backstabbing that made it happen - but I'm not saying I hate him as coach. He'll probably be fine. We'll see.

I don't know if Mayo was backstabbing. I never heard those allegations. Reports are that some didn't like how he was acting over the last month or two of the season, but that doesn't mean he was backstabbing anyone. The reports were always vague in what Mayo was allegedly doing.

In fact, we don't even know if the people saying this just don't have sour grapes and knew that if Mayo became head coach that they would be out of a job (see Joe Judge who undermined Mac Jones in the press too).

If we went defensive I would've preferred Vrabel but from what I have heard the players love Mayo. My hope is he can do what Demeco Ryans is doing down in Houston. Young first time head coach with a rookie QB and some good young players turn things around quicker than expected. If Mayo really is the guy then I am behind him 100%.
The players "love" most people on the coaching staff. You can say that about countless assistants on each team throughout the league. And the delusional blind optimism in comparisons to Demeco Ryans are funny. The guy lucked out by having a franchise QB fall to his lap. The Texans' season or playoff appearance was due to that. Not some impressive coaching feat.

I just don't see how this is gonna work. The team was toxic as **** and you hire from within?

You replace the greatest coach ever and the best defensive mind in the game with a rookie defensive coach?

You don't take ONE interview from around the league?

This has waste of time failure written all over it.

I'm not a fan of hiring him without having a look around, but I like that he's young and apparently very good in the room. He's green though and I can't imagine he has many connections. This leaves me to wonder how he'll fill his staff. Very big concern.

Hope Mayo is up to the task. He will be as good as the hopefully revamped GM and front office is at choosing the most talented players to fill the multiple holes in the roster, especially on offense. I think BOB stays at OC and he will hopefully be given more leeway to shape his staff and install his offense. Covington would be my choice as DC. It will take several years to dig out of the hole we are in now. Mayo should stick as long as steady progress is shown.

Probably worth confirming but since Mayo is of color/minority I think that requirement is satisfied..?
The Rooney rule does not apply if someone had been contractually designated as the future head coach and the NFL had approved that contract. That is what happened here.

Curran batting .667 so far. Will he get to .1000 when Wolf is named GM?
He is probably sipping champagne somewhere. I am sure yesterday was the best day of his career but he just could not allow himself to show his happiness.

He literally looks like an oracle this week.

In a universe where you can hire the HC immediately because he is a minority but you have to interview 2 minorities before you can officially hire the GM you have already selected.
What HC was hired immediately because he was a minority? Not Mayo, so who are you referring to?

Probably worth confirming but since Mayo is of color/minority I think that requirement is satisfied..?
No, there was language in his contract that says he was the successor which allow the Patriots to avoid the Rooney rule

In fact, we don't even know if the people saying this just don't have sour grapes and knew that if Mayo became head coach that they would be out of a job (see Joe Judge who undermined Mac Jones in the press too).
This.

Mike singletary 2.0
Dumb take. By all accounts Mayo is an exceptionally bright guy. I don’t ever recall Singletary being described in the same manner. His intellect seems closer to his former head coach in Chicago.

The biggest key to whether Mayo succeeds in his first 2 years (cause that's all he'll get if he doesn't do this)...
is who they hire as the OC. It better be a vet with Asst. HC pedigree.
What are the chances BOB wants to stay for this experiment? I could see BOB jumping to Bama as the HC.
But no established OC is going to make a lateral move to NE now.
We're going to have to find a first timer - which is such a risk.

While I’m uninspired by the Mayo selection, It will at least be interesting to see how he fills out the staff.

Have to imagine both Belichick kids are out, along with Judge, Achord, Klemm, Troy.

Could see Covington elevated to DC, whole new offensive staff (don’t see Mcdaniels working for Mayo) with hopefully a better and brand new Offensive System.
the Belichick kids are going to be interesting. From what I’ve heard, Mayo and Belichick are good friends. Not sure if blood is thicker than water here but Steve has a chance to do make a name for himself if he stays rather than follow his father. I’d be blown away if Mayo offers the youngster the dc job.

Move discussion about Mayo being "the guy" here since it is official now.
Congratulations Coach Mayo! I love the fact that Kraft lived up to his succession promise. I think we're going to be good.

No, there was language in his contract that says he was the successor which allow the Patriots to avoid the Rooney rule
Yeah it's already been reported that his contract was approved by the NFL as part of a succession plan so it bypassed the rule.

I am assuming this would be a defensive player.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back