PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank the top 3 drafts of the Belichick era

Status
Not open for further replies.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Always think it's kind of fun to go back and look at some of the past drafts and see how they turned out especially after almost 2 decades. I would say exclude the Brady pick in the 2000 draft otherwise that pick alone would put that draft as the best.

1st 2010
1 Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
2 Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
2 Jermaine Cunningham, OLB, Florida
2 Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
3 Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
4 Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
5 Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
6 Ted Larsen, C, NC State
7 Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
7 Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
7 Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
7 Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

This one had its share of busts but I put this one up there due to the fact that you have a sure fire Hall of Famer in Gronk. McCourty has been a good safety and team captain and Spikes was a decent role player in the run game. Hernandez was a very versatile and talented TE/H-back who formed a dynamic pair with Gronk but obviously we all know how that panned out. Mesko wasn't the best punter in the world but he wasn't terrible, while Ted Larsen didn't last long here but did end up with a solid career in the league.

2nd. 2003
1 Ty Warren, DL, Texas A&M
2 Eugene Wilson, FS, Illinois
2 Bethel Johnson, WR, Texas A&M
4 Dan Klecko, DL, Temple
4 Asante Samuel, CB, Central Florida
5 Dan Koppen, C, Boston College
6 Kliff Kingsbury, QB, Texas Tech
7 Spencer Nead, TE, Brigham Young
7 Tully Banta-Cain, OLB, California
7 Ethan Kelley, DL, Baylor

Ty Warren was a good and durable anchor of the D-line pretty much from the start. Eugene Wilson was a solid starter for a few years on some good defenses. Bethel Johnson never amounted to much as a receiver outside of a couple of fly routes here and there. As a returner he was electric and one of the best in that era. Klecko was a versatile role player who was a jack of all trades. Asante Samuel is the best corner Bill ever drafted and is a borderline hall of famer. Koppen was a good center for almost a decade and Tully Banta-Cain was a good pass rusher for where they got him.

3rd. 2002
1 Dan Graham, TE, Colorado
2 Deion Branch, WR, Louisville
4 Rohan Davey, QB, Louisiana State
4 Jarvis Green, DE, Louisiana State
7 Antwoine Womack, RB, Virginia
7 David Givens, WR, Notre Dame

Deion Branch is probably the best receiver Bill has drafted and ended up as the number one option for a while. Jarvis Green was a very solid rotational/situational DE that was one of the main strengths for two Super Bowl Teams. Givens (one of my all time favorites) was a solid contributor and a post season beast.

2012 should be up there:
  • 1st (21): Chandler Jones, ED, Syracuse: A- ...
  • 1st (25): Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama: A. ...
  • 2nd (48): Tavon Wilson, S, Illinois: D- ...
  • 3rd (90): Jake Bequette, ED, Arkansas: F. ...
  • 6th (197): Nate Ebner, ST, Ohio State: A. ...
  • 7th (224): Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska: B- ...
  • 7th (235): Jeremy Ebert, WR, Northwestern: No Grade. ...
Grades are from the site I copied this from, at the time (I think PatsPulpit).

Hightower and Jones were both mainstays in the front 7; Hightower made two of the most important plays in Patriots Super Bowl history and Jones is still one of the best pass rushers in the league (albeit with a tendency to fade in big games and show up shirtless at police stations). Notable in that we had pushed that extra first round pick forward two or three years in a row but finally used both of them in a move that kicked off this most recent championship run.

Ebner is a Belichick special teams ace who does all the little things in the third phase of the game that keep this dynasty intact.

Dennard actually had about 1.5 really good years here especially for a 7th round pick. He started at CB for a minute.

Wilson was the subject of a lot of text on this board. That’s all I gotta say. He’s actually carved a niche out for himself on Detroit. His only problem is that he would have been there in round 4.

The other guys had potential but didn’t hit.

#1) 2000 draft, pick 199 to be exact.

Yeah I mean those other drafts are awesome but we're talking about picking the actual greatest player of all time in the 6th round. Nothing beats that.

Not to mention an LT that protected Brady through 3 SBs...

#1 with a bullet for me is 2000 but since it was excluded I have to go with '01.
1 Richard Seymour, DL, Georgia
2 Matt Light, OT, Purdue
3 Brock Williams, CB, Notre Dame
4 Kenyatta Jones, OT, South Florida
4 Jabari Holloway, TE, Notre Dame
5 Hakim Akbar, DB, Washington
6 Arther Love, TE, South Carolina State
6 Leonard Myers, CB, Miami (FL)
7 Owen Pochman, K, Brigham Young
7 T.J. Turner, LB Michigan State

Some may look at that and say they only got a couple of guys that mattered but what a couple of guys. How many drafts give you cornerstone guys on both lines? Pro Bowlers Seymour and Light are Pats HoF finalists this year and both will eventually be there.

#2 I'd have to go with the OP's #1 above and say 2010.
#3 is a dead heat between 2012 & 2003, I just can't choose one or the other

Yeah I mean those other drafts are awesome but we're talking about picking the actual greatest player of all time in the 6th round. Nothing beats that.

A few decent role players in jr Redmond and Patrick pass as well.

Light was selected in the 2nd round (48) of the '01 draft

Light was selected in the 2nd round (48) of the '01 draft

Wow, I've been living a lie.

Edit: I was thinking of Klemm, who I forgot existed.

Way to push the easy button the OP specifically took of the table, lol

Lol, honestly didn’t read any of the OPs post (I don’t have time for that). Just saw the headline to rank the top 3 drafts. I apologize for only listing the 2000 draft.

Something like this ...

2010 GOAT TE & all pro caliber for almost a decade in Devin.

2003 - Warren, Wilson, Johnson, Klecko, Samuel, Koppen & TBC

2005 - Wilfork & Watson. Watson is still playing & Wilfork was one of the best value picks ever.

2001 - Seymour & Light. Two players that never got the credit they deserved while playing but we rings bc of their play. Light was also great value.

2015 - Brown, Flowers, Mason

2014 - Jimmy, White, Fleming - I think this one might rise in a year or so. White just does his job & is a pro but any time you find a starting QB after the top 60 players you get an A. This one is a huge wildcard.

09-13 is the biggest reason for our recent titles.
Chung, Vollmer, Edelman, Devin, Gronk, Solder, Vereen, Cannon, Jones, Hightower, ryan, Harmon

Btw heres my 2019 PTP list with Patriot draft history, measureables & other stuff

yeah...well...whaddabout the draft that blew YOU in here in 2006, eh?

BTW..here's a pic of Fnnihilated back when he had hair...

92804576_1300x1733.jpg

I know you mentioned skipping the Brady draft, but I just tacked on a 4th draft instead:

1. 2000
  2. 2001
  3. 2003
  4. 2010

Probably in that order, though I could see flipping 2001 and 2003

I’d like to add the 2009, 2011 and 2013 drafts.

2009 gave us Chung, Vollmer and Edelman

2011 gave us Solder, Vereen, Ridley and Cannon

2013 gave us Collins, Ryan, and Harmon.

I’d like to add the 2009, 2011 and 2013 drafts.

2009 gave us Chung, Vollmer and Edelman

2011 gave us Solder, Vereen, Ridley and Cannon

2013 gave us Collins, Ryan, and Harmon.

Yea I liked the '09 draft as well. A good versatile starting safety (the second time around), a starting right tackle for 8 years, and a QB/WR/PR/CB in the 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back