PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss "I can still play at a high level"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see Moss back on the Pats and would welcome........

......at the vet minimum.:D

I highly doubt anyone in here is in position to determine if Moss still has it or not. At best such a proclamation is a wild guess.
Really? How is watching his play in 2010 and assessing it a wild guess?
By that logic saying he ever was good is a wild guess.

You see the kind of workout routine he keeps?
Plenty of wrs have played until there late 30s
he clearly misplayed and screwed last year up and maybe two years means his talent is to far gone or it could mean he was just stupid and has something left.
Either way his return here is slim but I could be ok with it
Just curious. Why would you chalk up Moss being awful in 2010 to stupidity? And if so, why would you want him anyway?
The guy had 16 games to show what he could do, and frakly didnt have one that was anywhere near what we have seen in the past.
I think its obvious that if he still was capable there would have at least been one week during the entire season where he decided to show he still had it. He certainly made it a point to object to many things with his mouth. Wouldn't you expect an athlete of his caliber to take that 'prove it' attitude to the field even once?

All that I can say is that a lot of people here will look really stupid if he goes and has a strong year whenever there is next a football season. Is that the most likely outcome? I dunno, probably not, but acting like it's a sure thing that he's 100% done is just ignorant.

Just curious. Why would you chalk up Moss being awful in 2010 to stupidity? And if so, why would you want him anyway?
The guy had 16 games to show what he could do, and frakly didnt have one that was anywhere near what we have seen in the past.
I think its obvious that if he still was capable there would have at least been one week during the entire season where he decided to show he still had it. He certainly made it a point to object to many things with his mouth. Wouldn't you expect an athlete of his caliber to take that 'prove it' attitude to the field even once?

The bills game. Granted it was the bills. But he did have one good game. Too bad Beavis left the week 2 game, Moss was scorching him.

Last edited:

Thanks for playing. :bricks: Did you say the same thing in 2007?

RandyMossRevis.jpg

Last edited:
Really? How is watching his play in 2010 and assessing it a wild guess?
By that logic saying he ever was good is a wild guess.

When I agree with Andy it's about as Rare as it gets in any phase of life

Maybe it's rare enough to sell on eBay :)

All that I can say is that a lot of people here will look really stupid if he goes and has a strong year whenever there is next a football season. Is that the most likely outcome? I dunno, probably not, but acting like it's a sure thing that he's 100% done is just ignorant.

If he even sniffs 1,000 yards next season and doesn't play for more than one team AND is a positive addition to a team then mark it down....
I WILL EAT CROW come January of 2012

Probably not.

But remember his last year in Oakland? Everyone thought he was done and washed-up and lost a step or two.

I don't think last year was about talent so much as attitude. He's not the best WR in football, but I can think of a lot of WRs who will make rosters this fall who are nowhere near as good as Moss, even if he's lost a step.

It's all about his mental state.

4 Years ago is a longggg time for a WR who's skill is completely derived from his athletic prowess.

ill say it again..i would love to see him back in a Pats uniform

The bills game. Granted it was the bills. But he did have one good game. Too bad Beavis left the week 2 game, Moss was scorching him.
He caught TWO passes against the Bills.
And how was he 'scorching' Revis? He caught 2 passes all day. He caught a 34 yd TD, but that was it other than a 4 yd reception.
If you are telling me that catching 2 passes against the Bills and 1 against Revis is an example of Moss showing he is still great, I just dont know what to say.

Thanks for playing. :bricks: Did you say the same thing in 2007?

RandyMossRevis.jpg
Oh, by the way
Moss 2006 13 games 42 catches 553 yards 29 years old
2010 16 games 28 catches 393 yards 33 years old

So instead of 3.2 catches a game (with injuries and a terrible QB) in 2006 he had 1.75 catches a game (think about that for a minute. less than 2 catches a game. That is truly bad for a starting WR much less a "#1" no matter how you slice it) and his QBs were better.
So lets see, you want to base 2011 on 2007 because he is 4 years older and coming of a year where he produced about 2/3 of what he did in his worst year ever before that? Wanna buy some swamp land?

Probably not. But I wouldn't be surprised if he had a solid comeback year either. Moss is pretty unpredictable.

Exactly!

I highly doubt anyone in here is in position to determine if Moss still has it or not. At best such a proclamation is a wild guess.

Exactly!

It nice to see that some people have good intelligence on this forum. :)

Probably not.

But remember his last year in Oakland? Everyone thought he was done and washed-up and lost a step or two.

I don't think last year was about talent so much as attitude. He's not the best WR in football, but I can think of a lot of WRs who will make rosters this fall who are nowhere near as good as Moss, even if he's lost a step.

It's all about his mental state.

Your absolutely right! He even stated when he was on the Titans that he just wants to win. When he was on the Raiders, he lost. A lot. He is an emotional guy, be that be good or bad, that's what makes him one of the greatest WR's to ever play the game.

If he even sniffs 1,000 yards next season and doesn't play for more than one team AND is a positive addition to a team then mark it down....
I WILL EAT CROW come January of 2012

Why don't you take it one step further? ;) How much are you willing to bet that Randy Moss is done?

THAT is your answer? Really?

Whether he returns or not, one certainly has admire that one catch against the Jets for the touchdown. I thought that catch was amazing! (And that the rest of the game he was a virtual no-show...)

Why?

Because he is DONE ,FINISHED , ITS OVER

He WAS one of the greatest WRs ever in the history of the game and is 100% HOF bound but its time to RETIRE ....He proved he was done near the end of 2009 and all of 2010 for 3 TEAMS.

Some dreamers in here who have been stuck in a 2007 time capsule think he has something left in the tank when he has failed for the Pats,Vikings (after a VERY short stint) and the freaking Titans
who have a laughable WR corps.

Some of you love to hold onto fond memories forever thinking they will somehow come back and return to form of 2007 redux....got news for you,the 2007 Randy ship has long sailed...he is a backup type WR at this point at best...

Decoy is his game now and every once in a while a great catch and play,but thats it.

I agree, Randy's best years are behind him. I still believe he can be a productive player in this league. I don't think the Patriots will sign him, and I don't want the Patriots to sign him. At this point in his career, he's still probably better than any other pure 'X' receiver on the Patriots. He's certainly on the wrong side of his career, but I think he can still play. I'm not going to be a pessimist and Randy-hater and figure he'll do terribly because of an off-year.

I think a lot of his poor playing had to do with mental/personal (whatever you want to call it) issues. The TEN situation was terrible with VY, HC on the chopping block, not a passing offense, no QB, and a new offense for Randy. He got released from MIN for character issues. I'm not giving a Randy a pass here, he was dogging it here - and probably dogged it in TEN and MIN, but he sure is still better than a lot of receivers in the league.

Oh, by the way

So instead of 3.2 catches a game (with injuries and a terrible QB) in 2006 he had 1.75 catches a game (think about that for a minute. less than 2 catches a game. That is truly bad for a starting WR much less a "#1" no matter how you slice it) and his QBs were better.
So lets see, you want to base 2011 on 2007 because he is 4 years older and coming of a year where he produced about 2/3 of what he did in his worst year ever before that? Wanna buy some swamp land?

I think the biggest difference between '06/'10 Moss and '07-'09 Moss is his motivation and work ethic. His speed, route running ability, and ability to get open probably won't drop off randomly in two separate seasons. However, with his personality and relevant personal history of the same manner, I'd attribute a lot of the poor playing due to his effort. A willing and hard working Moss can still be a #1 receiver.

Or maybe this is the beginning of the end for Randy Moss. I really hope it isn't (not for the Patriots' sake, but for his). I guess no one really knows until next season. I think/hope the best for him. He was great here when he wanted to be.

Last edited:
4 Years ago is a longggg time for a WR who's skill is completely derived from his athletic prowess.

The speed part, I understand. But he's got incredible hands and is unbelievable in jump ball situations. Those aren't just athletic skills. He probably has lost a step or two and he's clearly not what he was. But is he better than the average #4 or #5 WR on most rosters? Probably.

Oh, by the way

I don't think the 2006 to 2010 comparison is accurate. He only started 4 games out of 8 for Tennessee, and when Britt returned from injury, Moss was barely on the field. Transitioning between 3 different systems didn't help either.

I'm not advocating bringing Moss back, mind you. But I don't think he's washed-up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes