PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss "I can still play at a high level"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats could use a WR to stretch the field just not Randy Moss and his BS.

If he came for cheap money it would be a matter of no time before he was complaining about money and not being appreciated. Belichick warned Moss before to choose his words carefully and we saw how that went.

He was ineffective with the Titans but here and Minnesota he did have an impact early part of the year. Not what he was and the numbers were down yes but I wouldn't rule out him being an asset to some team in 2011.

Moss is trash and a cancer. Our offense is better without him.

There are no positives to bringing back this douche.

I think the biggest difference between '06/'10 Moss and '07-'09 Moss is his motivation and work ethic. His speed, route running ability, and ability to get open probably won't drop off randomly in two separate seasons. However, with his personality and relevant personal history of the same manner, I'd attribute a lot of the poor playing due to his effort. A willing and hard working Moss can still be a #1 receiver.
I disagree. Why wouldn't his skill level drop off? Everyones does.
I think its silly that because Moss has had a bad attitude in the past,he gtets a pass for being flat out awful because he probably wasnt trying.
He was in a contract year, blasted his way out of town because he wanted a bigger contract, failed to have even one game anywhere near his peak level, on 3 different teams and ended up on the bench for a team lacking WRs.
If he couldn't muster the effort to produce under those circumstances what would be different now?

Or maybe this is the beginning of the end for Randy Moss. I really hope it isn't (not for the Patriots' sake, but for his). I guess no one really knows until next season. I think/hope the best for him. He was great here when he wanted to be.
I think its closer to the end than the beginning of the end.

Just curious. Why would you chalk up Moss being awful in 2010 to stupidity? And if so, why would you want him anyway?
The guy had 16 games to show what he could do, and frakly didnt have one that was anywhere near what we have seen in the past.
I think its obvious that if he still was capable there would have at least been one week during the entire season where he decided to show he still had it. He certainly made it a point to object to many things with his mouth. Wouldn't you expect an athlete of his caliber to take that 'prove it' attitude to the field even once?

Seems stupid to me to blast your way off a SB contending team. Then you wind up on consecutive teams heading down the tubes and as stupid as it sounds you go in the tank.

Sure he very well could be done but he could have cashed in last year and still have something left which is where my COULD be ok with him comes in. I am ok with it if BB thinks he can put his emotions aside. basically my could is if he has something left and can control his emotions.

Well, fwiw, the Titan's coaching staff were pretty effusive in their comments about Randy Moss, saying emphatically that HE wasn't the problem there, that the issue(s) were with their QB. They went out of their way to say that Moss was the consumate pro in the locker room, helping to mentor younger players and doing whatever was asked of him in practice and on game day.

I'd have no problem with Randy coming back to New England.

Seems stupid to me to blast your way off a SB contending team. Then you wind up on consecutive teams heading down the tubes and as stupid as it sounds you go in the tank.

Sure he very well could be done but he could have cashed in last year and still have something left which is where my COULD be ok with him comes in. I am ok with it if BB thinks he can put his emotions aside. basically my could is if he has something left and can control his emotions.
I just dont get why people want to make excuses for him.
He was terrible last year. I don't know how convincing yourself he could play well but chose not to for an entire season makes it better.
The line was he didn't play well here because we weren't going to extend him. Minnesota was willing to and he didnt play well there. Tennessee picked him up, needed a WR desperately and he was invisible.
If I am to believe Randy plays when Randy wants to and just wasn't interested last year, how do we reconcile that with him playing for a new contract, and what makes anyone believe he will try this year?
There were way too many reasons for Moss to play at a high level last year, and 3 different situations for him to do it in, and he didn't, even for a game or 2.
Hey, you could be right, he could still be as good as he was in 2007 and he just loafed off all of last year. First, I find that almost impossible to believe and second, if thats the case who cares because he has lost his competitive edge anyway.

I just dont get why people want to make excuses for him.
He was terrible last year. I don't know how convincing yourself he could play well but chose not to for an entire season makes it better.
The line was he didn't play well here because we weren't going to extend him. Minnesota was willing to and he didnt play well there. Tennessee picked him up, needed a WR desperately and he was invisible.
If I am to believe Randy plays when Randy wants to and just wasn't interested last year, how do we reconcile that with him playing for a new contract, and what makes anyone believe he will try this year?
There were way too many reasons for Moss to play at a high level last year, and 3 different situations for him to do it in, and he didn't, even for a game or 2.
Hey, you could be right, he could still be as good as he was in 2007 and he just loafed off all of last year. First, I find that almost impossible to believe and second, if thats the case who cares because he has lost his competitive edge anyway.

When is the last time a starter played for three teams? Had to deal with three systems? All I am saying is last year was a weird year for Moss and I wouldnt right him off just because of it. I fully admit his chances here would be slim but if BB could get past it it would be enough for me to think it would work.

Well, fwiw, the Titan's coaching staff were pretty effusive in their comments about Randy Moss, saying emphatically that HE wasn't the problem there, that the issue(s) were with their QB. They went out of their way to say that Moss was the consumate pro in the locker room, helping to mentor younger players and doing whatever was asked of him in practice and on game day.

I'd have no problem with Randy coming back to New England.
That may explain somewhat of a dropoff.
How does it explain Moss playing 8 games and catchin a grand total of SIX passes for 80 yards?
That works out to a season of 12 catches and 160 yards.
Nate Washington caught 42 passes in that offense, with those QBs, Kenny Britt caught 42 in 12 games.
Lavelle Hawkins caught 5 in 6 games, better production than Moss as what, the 5th WR?

I wonder if anyone on this "Moss still has it" kick really understand he caught a total of 6 passes in half of a season.

Sam Aiken caught 20 passes for the 2009 Patriots in 14 games.
Chad Jackson caught 13 in 12 games in 2006.

Do you really realize that Moss didnt drop off from superstar to decent, he dropped from superstar to not being able to justify his spot on the roster.

Moss has unbelievable talent. The problem is that when his head is not screwed on right, he easily disappears or goes down the tank. I think the main thing that holds back Randy Moss is Randy Moss. So if he wants to, I'm sure he could return to being a #1 WR in this league. But I don't know if he can get it back together after an up an down season where he split time between 3 different teams. Moss made a huge mistake by shooting himself out of town and I think he realizes this now. If he can get it together he is a #1 WR in this league on pure talent alone. But will he? Nobody knows for sure.

Andy, I'm not saying that Moss still has a top-flight ability, or that he even makes this team. I'm willing to give him a pass next year considering his travels from one team to another.

What I'd be willing to accept is his coming here and vying for a roster spot. If nothing else, he'd be a good push for Tate to get his act together. and for any other young WR's we may or may not have when the camp(s) open.

Let him come in and compete for a roster spot. Probably won't happen, but I'd be able to support that scenario. Not that I have anything to say about it, however..... :D

The last time everyone thought Randy Moss was washed up and done he broke Jerry Rice's TD record.

ill say it again..i would love to see him back in a Pats uniform

slave to your monicker? just suggesting.....

as Patriots fans we should have the Sam-I-Am approach to Moss:

I would not like him here or there, or anywhere, not in a house or w/ a mouse…..

Moss has unbelievable talent. The problem is that when his head is not screwed on right, he easily disappears or goes down the tank. I think the main thing that holds back Randy Moss is Randy Moss. So if he wants to, I'm sure he could return to being a #1 WR in this league. But I don't know if he can get it back together after an up an down season where he split time between 3 different teams. Moss made a huge mistake by shooting himself out of town and I think he realizes this now. If he can get it together he is a #1 WR in this league on pure talent alone. But will he? Nobody knows for sure.
You are using the wrong tense. He just spent an entire season exhibiting none of those skills.

The last time everyone thought Randy Moss was washed up and done he broke Jerry Rice's TD record.
That was 4 years ago, and not after he spend an entire season catching a grand total of 28 passes, and half a season catching 6.
BB got rid of him for next to nothing, and everything he did after that confirmed that BB was right, and Moss was no longer useful.
Why would believing that he could play but chose not to resolve that?
Its funny that we hear how beloved and a great teammate Moss is but are expected to believe he simply quit on all 3 teams last year, and THAT is the reason to go get him back.
I hear Stanley Morgan is a free agent. He was a tremendous WR.

He was phased out of the offense in 2010, why would they bring him back in 2011???

Not to mention he acts like a child, plays hard only when he wants to and is more concerned about his next contract than the team winning.

No thanks.

He was phased out of the offense in 2010, why would they bring him back in 2011???

Not to mention he acts like a child, plays hard only when he wants to and is more concerned about his next contract than the team winning.

No thanks.
When I watched the film of the first Jets game, before there was even talk of trading Moss, I saw it right in front of me.
Before rewatching the game, I thought Brady played poorly. After rewatching it, and reviewing each play over and over and in slomo, I concluded that Moss either just wasn't trying hard, or no longer had the skill level he used to.
He would have gotten the long Int by Cromartie, or at least gotten in position to challenge, instead of trail the play by a lot, and on the other Int he would have gone strong after the ball instead of ballerina-ing it, in 07-09. I had no doubt.
What followed only further proved that he either just stopped trying on the field or just did not have the same level of skill.
I cannot say for sure which it is, and I don't really think it matters. But if, with everything he had at stake last year he couldnt find a single game to produce like the old Randy, I conclude it is deterioration of skills.

He spent half a season in Tennessee and his 8 games of production were arguably less than his AVERAGE game is 2007. Please explain why we would want a player who could barely reach his average weekly production in 8 combined weeks? He had to try not to produce if his skills havent declined severely.

When I watched the film of the first Jets game, before there was even talk of trading Moss, I saw it right in front of me.
Before rewatching the game, I thought Brady played poorly. After rewatching it, and reviewing each play over and over and in slomo, I concluded that Moss either just wasn't trying hard, or no longer had the skill level he used to.
He would have gotten the long Int by Cromartie, or at least gotten in position to challenge, instead of trail the play by a lot, and on the other Int he would have gone strong after the ball instead of ballerina-ing it, in 07-09. I had no doubt.
What followed only further proved that he either just stopped trying on the field or just did not have the same level of skill.
I cannot say for sure which it is, and I don't really think it matters. But if, with everything he had at stake last year he couldnt find a single game to produce like the old Randy, I conclude it is deterioration of skills.

He spent half a season in Tennessee and his 8 games of production were arguably less than his AVERAGE game is 2007. Please explain why we would want a player who could barely reach his average weekly production in 8 combined weeks? He had to try not to produce if his skills havent declined severely.

Either way, that's not someone you want on the team. A headache who plays like he played in 2007 is one thing. A headache who plays like he played in 2010 is another.

I would take him back but only for small money.

Either way, that's not someone you want on the team. A headache who plays like he played in 2007 is one thing. A headache who plays like he played in 2010 is another.
That's the part I don't get. People want him back on the basis of ignoring the 2010 because he could have played at a pro bowl level, but instead chose to catch 28 passes all season and 6 in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes