PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders Reporter lists Khalil Mack as potential trade candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna cry but I was just thinking the Rams should do a trade for Donald for Mack and have the Raiders cough up a third.
That's what I would do If I'm the Rams GM and they truly don't want to pay Donald.

I wanna cry but I was just thinking the Rams should do a trade for Donald for Mack and have the Raiders cough up a third.
That's what I would do If I'm the Rams GM and they truly don't want to pay Donald.

That makes zero sense. The Rams don't want to pay Donald, so the solution is to trade for a player not quite as good that wants to be paid as much as Donald?

The Pats could send their 2019 1st round pick, and Detroit's 3rd round pick for Mack.

They would have to sign him to at least a five year deal with a large signing bonus and a decent amount of guaranteed money over the first three years, but if they did that, they can make his cap hits in the 15 million a year range, which is manageable. They would have to come up with at least as much guaranteed money as he would have gotten if he did nothing (13 mil this year, and then the 17+ mil franchise tag (most likely twice) so say @ 50 million. Mack is 27, a year or so older than most guys when they come to their first big FA period. So he may be willing to sign a 5 year deal, provided that the last few years are not "funny money".

Does anyone here think that if you inserted Mack into that pathetic defense that got smoked by a back up QB in the Superbowl, he wouldn't have made enough plays to make a difference?

So mortgage the future to get Mack? If Mack gets hurt, like Colvin, then your plan is to put $50 - $65 million minimum aside as a cap write-off or massive dead money hit? Or maybe the salary guarantee carries a "no injury" guarantee?

Good fortune always seems to run out with injuries, so predicting Mack will never be injured, and possibly seriously injured, would seem to be a stretch. I don't recall Colvin being injury prone before the hip injury. I loved the player, but I seriously doubt that would have been the contract after that injury.

Having a healthy Hightower on the field may have made that difference, and would not cripple the Pats contract-wise like Mack. Assuming Mack will be there, unlike Hightower, is a massive assumption. Ask Talib, who always seemed to be injured for the playoffs.

And if your concern is talent on the roster, the Vikings appeared to have a more talented defensive roster and were regarded as a better defense last year than the Pats. Refresh my memory - how did that defense do against the same backup QB in the NFC Championship? I believe it was 6 fewer points and 82 fewer yards without an offense that could put up points. The sad reality is some times teams hit their stride at the right time and won't lose. The Eagles seemed to be that team last year.

There aren’t a ton of first round pick trades to compare to, but that’s roughly similar to what Brandin Cooks was traded for both times, except with an extra 9 month wait before getting to use the picks. Do we really think Mack is worth less than Cooks?

Cooks was under control for two more years. Mack comes with a least a 13 million price tag this year and only one year. It is considerable much more than the bag of magic beans that the Pats got for Chandler Jones who was in the same contract position.

I rather trade for KJ Wright. Last year of his contract. Making around 7 million.

Would be nice to have Jimmy G still. Trade Brady in a heartbeat for Mack. He is a game changer.

I don't see it happening.

Even if they were to trade him the price wouldn't be worth it to sign him long term.

While pass rush is important I would never pay any pass rusher that % of the salary cap that mack would demand in a contract negotiation ala 20M/year.

If you trade for him then it's to pay him his 13.85M this year and then Franchise tag him for 16.62M and then potentially again for 19.95M.

So that works out to 3 years for a 16.8 average or 2 years for 15.235.

That makes more sense than offering him a long term contract which is what he wants. But if you do that you have a malcontent on your team which no one really wants. I highly doubt if you force him to play under the tag he will want to play ball with you when it comes to any kind of deal.

That all being said I would happily trade a first round pick to get Mack here even if its only 2 years. He is well worth the 13.85 and the 16.62. That would be going all in on Brady's last years for sure.

The downside is you take yourself out of the QB sweep stacks for next years draft.

Last edited:
Outside linebacker is a more a position of need for the Rams and the Raiders would be sig better with Donald.

Outside linebacker is a more a position of need for the Rams and the Raiders would be sig better with Donald.

Yeah. One of the main reasons OLB is a bigger need for the Rams is because they have Donald.

Patriots should trade for Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald

Given the choice, would you guys rather trade for Mack or Donald?

Donald no question. You don't pay either a long term deal. You just franchise tag them over and over until you don't want to pay them and then let them walk. It saves you the injury risk and being on the hook for a massive contract so really there is no reason not to.

Donald right now would cost the pats 6.8M in 2018, around 14.5M in 2019, 17.4 in 2020 and 20.88 in 2021 if they want to go that route.

That is a much better deal year by year right now than Mack would be and Donald is the better player of the 2. Really no contest.

Aaron Donald would be an ultimate game changer on this defense.

Pairing him with Danny Shelton would be impenetrable.

Would be nice to have Jimmy G still. Trade Brady in a heartbeat for Mack. He is a game changer.

How would you fit Jimmy's 37,000,000 cap hit with our current 7 million in capspace?

And then you want to add another player looking for 16 million per year?

It's a good thing you don't run a sports team because you would be the WORST at it. stick to madden.

Donald no question. You don't pay either a long term deal. You just franchise tag them over and over until you don't want to pay them and then let them walk. It saves you the injury risk and being on the hook for a massive contract so really there is no reason not to.

Donald right now would cost the pats 6.8M in 2018, around 14.5M in 2019, 17.4 in 2020 and 20.88 in 2021 if they want to go that route.

That is a much better deal year by year right now than Mack would be and Donald is the better player of the 2. Really no contest.

The problem with your logic is they don't want to play on the franchise tag, so we end up in the same situation as the Rams/Raiders.

Not every player is going to sign a terrible deal like richard sherman.

Donald is holding out right now. What part of your scenario would entice him to get back on the field?

Donald is holding out right now. What part of your scenario would entice him to get back on the field?

Holding out of training camp and of the regular season are 2 entirely different things. If you trade for him you either get some assurance that he won't hold out in training camp if that is something you simply can't tolerate or you just accept it as part of the situation you take on.

The problem with your logic is they don't want to play on the franchise tag, so we end up in the same situation as the Rams/Raiders.

Not every player is going to sign a terrible deal like richard sherman.

Well no one wants to play on the franchise tag, but they usually do. This is doubly true for the last half of the season and the playoffs. Either you can put up with it and you make the deal or you can't. I'm not saying there isn't a potential downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft