PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about Brady's QB Sneak

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So it's the down time in football and there is nothing really happening in terms of real news. And I certainly don't want to talk Defamegate, even with a decision presumably coming down the pike this week.

So I turn my attention to something I've thought about and meant just to spark some banter and maybe keep things a bit interesting around here. So here . . .

Am I the only one who worries about Brady getting hurt doing it so much? I know I know, he's a football player and tough as nails. But man, he's taken some shots. I remember Troy P. trying to bend him in the opposite direction (I wanted to jump through the screen and likely get pummeled by a ferocious, finely tuned NFL safety). I remember the B'more game (I believe it was the playoffs) where he almost does a full front flip before getting hit square in his back in an almost upside down position. I hate when he scrambles more than anything else, even though I fully admit that I think he's gotten so much better at it and seems to be more willing to escape the pocket . . . as willing as a slow, pocket-passing QB can be. :) But the Pats seem to use the QB sneak so much, and ****, it works so much so I get why. It just makes me so nervous. Brady getting hit at all these days drives me bonkers.

I know it's not the biggest thing in the world and I'm at the bottom of the barrel now. I'm salivating for football and, though July 27 is not that long away really, it's still long enough away that I'm going stir crazy. I LOVE THE PATRIOTS!!!

I think we've all had that thought... but the proof is in the pudding, as he's been fine so far and is pretty much the best in the business at QB sneaks.. Brady in general (save for 08's cheapshot) has been lucky w/ getting hurt, but I don't think it's all luck. He's very good (for the most part) at knowing when/how/where he's going to get hit and does a great job adjusting in order to absorb/lessen the impact. With Brady's history at QB sneaks and with injuries in general, I wouldn't really worry about it...

Probably won't make you feel better to know that he calls for that half the time. You can see him audible to it and his right heel is a dead giveaway. Hopefully he's gotten rid of that tell.

I always grimace whenever Pats face a 3rd or 4th and inches..you just know Brady is going to sneak it. He's going to probably make it too...but he pays for it..man does he pay for it.

im pretty sure that's one of the safest plays.

I'd rather him sneak it then hang back and get destroyed. Now his dives over the top are something to worry about.

I also hate when he tries to make the tackle after INT's, but that's for a different thread. LOL

Nah, I hear you all. I know he's really good at it and they seem to often run in the biggest of games and situations. But man, I just cringe. I cringe when he throws an INT because he often tries to make the tackle. If there is JUST ONE area where I wish he was more like Manning, it would be that one. Manning immediately either looks around himself or goes to the ground when he would throw INT's late in his career.

im pretty sure that's one of the safest plays.

I'd rather him sneak it then hang back and get destroyed. Now his dives over the top are something to worry about.
I hear you. The B'more play I reference in the original post was one where he tried to jump over. He made it. It was a TD, but his body was almost completely upside down and he bent in a really awkward way when he got hit.

I know he's a football player and proven he is tough as nails, but I worry at 39 about too many hits, especially if he's trying to play to 42-45 like he says. LOL In a perfect world, Blount should be able to do this if nothing else.

I never really worried about this, so I'm not going to worry about it now. Interesting tidbit on the right heel. I'll watch for it this season.

When he gets low and plunges forward in an A gap I'm not so concerned.

More scary is when he goes over the top, extending the ball. But he does that if that is what the D allows, since everybody wants to go low.

I think 80% of these he calls cause he sees a hole the DL is leaving and he audibles and then flops to the gap -he doesnt get hurt on those. Its only those 4th-n-inches where they know he wants to do it, that he could get stood up n whacked. But you have to take some chances. Maybe if there is a cognito type on other side you think twice. Otherwise, Do what you gotta Do.

Surprised people haven't used his incredibly high success rate as proof of cheating. He's by far the GOAT at QB sneaks.

I agree with you 100% PatsBoy12. I love the results but I still worry like an overprotective mother :(

When he gets low and plunges forward in an A gap I'm not so concerned.

More scary is when he goes over the top, extending the ball. But he does that if that is what the D allows, since everybody wants to go low.

This one scared the crap out of me. Ray hit him hard in the lower back trying to keep him out of the endzone.

upload_2016-6-28_17-17-19.png

I always grimace whenever Pats face a 3rd or 4th and inches..you just know Brady is going to sneak it. He's going to probably make it too...but he pays for it..man does he pay for it.

I've been waiting for them to put Edelman under center for that one, and let him run a bootleg. He's got the speed and chops for it. heck, throw Brady out wide too. It's not like they haven't done THAT before. :)

Probably won't make you feel better to know that he calls for that half the time. You can see him audible to it and his right heel is a dead giveaway. Hopefully he's gotten rid of that tell.

Not only the right heel, but also the specific word that they use for the audible (which could obviously be said for any play or formation, but it's much more noticeable to me on the QB sneak). I'm guessing that they likely figure that they can get away with it once or twice throughout the game, which is why they're probably not concerned with changing the audible call, but there have been times where they've been forced to use it multiple times in the same game.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I worry every time Brady ends up on the bottom of a pile.

The OP made me look for the SportsScience where they talk about his sneaks, and low and behold, here it is.

More proof that the Cheatriots were doctoring balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes