PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quarterbacks playing into their mid-40s: the new reality or delusion?

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that Russell Wilson became the latest player to echo TB12’s goal of playing into his mid-40s. Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees had similar comments this offseason, but Brady was the first to say it’s a realistic goal.

I think we notice Brady more than others for many reasons, but many of these guys are fanatical about their nutrition and lifestyle. I read an article recently about Kirk Cousins and his obsession with fitness, sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber, brain wave monitoring, etc. When hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line and with new advances in technology and health, I imagine most of these guys are doing anything they can to get an edge and keep their bodies healthy for as long as possible.

From a physical standpoint, though, Brady is still just 40 and not 45. While it is unprecedented to play at this level at this age, previously some QBs had played very well in their late 30s.

I am curious to know what people think about this new extended career path. We know QBs are better protected now, but so you think you’ll see any, or many, quarterbacks playing for much longer in the future?

It's delusion. Nobody is going to play as long as Brady. He's one of a kind. His mental mastery of the game is one reason. The other is that nobody takes care of his body like Brady does.

QBs will last longer because of extra knowledge & extra protection. But, I think that mid 40s is ambitious. Not even sure Brady can make it to 45 - but if anyone can...

The rules that protect QBs is a significant factor. QBs don't take nearly the beating they once did.

What I look forward to see is how much TB will affect the game: I remember reading an interview (I think it was on SI) where Jason Witten said that he was paying close attention to the "TB12 method"...

If others start applying themselves as strictly as Brady, we could see MORE qbs with 40 years old playing ,although I don't think we'll get more than 3 at the same time

Brees is 39 years old and still playing great, too. So, next year there'll be 2 40 year olds Qbs playing well at the same time

Brees could very well go over 40, his abilities have not diminished and he has always kept himself away from running, scrambling etc as much as possible. Wilson hardly, more likely he will be worn out in 3-4 years. Rodgers is in a similar position, plus he is banged up on a regular basis and had surgeries on both shoulders.

I saw that Russell Wilson became the latest player to echo TB12’s goal of playing into his mid-40s. Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees had similar comments this offseason, but Brady was the first to say it’s a realistic goal.

I think we notice Brady more than others for many reasons, but many of these guys are fanatical about their nutrition and lifestyle. I read an article recently about Kirk Cousins and his obsession with fitness, sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber, brain wave monitoring, etc. When hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line and with new advances in technology and health, I imagine most of these guys are doing anything they can to get an edge and keep their bodies healthy for as long as possible.

From a physical standpoint, though, Brady is still just 40 and not 45. While it is unprecedented to play at this level at this age, previously some QBs had played very well in their late 30s.

I am curious to know what people think about this new extended career path. We know QBs are better protected now, but so you think you’ll see any, or many, quarterbacks playing for much longer in the future?
It's happened in the past, and it'll happen again, occasionally.

Training and health resources are vastly better today than they were fifty years ago, so that makes a big difference.

Similarly in hockey, guys like Gordie Howe and Chris Chelios are exceptional.

Changes in protection rules, better nutrition, advanced training, non- evasive surgery all make it very possible for the player with the right genetics to play in their 40s.

Training and health resources are vastly better today than they were fifty years ago, so that makes a big difference.

Howe and Chelios were freaks. Even Gordie's boy Mark played till he was 40. Genetics have a lot to do with it

QBs will last longer because of extra knowledge & extra protection. But, I think that mid 40s is ambitious. Not even sure Brady can make it to 45 - but if anyone can...

You really think a handful of QB's will be able to get to Brady's mastery of the game? I sincerely doubt that. You'll see maybe 1 or 2 in a QB generation that will get to that level, That's it.

I don't see it. I don't think rodgers will be as good at 40 as brady. He depends a lot getting out of the pocket as well. Moving around. Brady's a pocket passer.

I think the older you are, the less likely you are to fully recover from injuries. So, maybe it's not so much the exact number of years, but of how able--and lucky, you are to avoid the serious injury. Because once you hit your forties, you may be looking at one and done or, at least, a more precarious, almost game-to-game situation.

You really think a handful of QB's will be able to get to Brady's mastery of the game? I sincerely doubt that. You'll see maybe 1 or 2 in a QB generation that will get to that level, That's it.
Yes, it's not just Brady staying in top physical shape, which can be duplicated by any NFL athlete through diet and exercise. It's his absolutely unparalleled ability to read defenses, stay calm and agile in the pocket, and move through the progression of his receivers that makes him great. Your average NFL QB could upload his brain to the body of a cyborg and he would still not be Tom Brady.

Silly W. Of course I don’t ! Should have been more precise: I meant medical knowledge allowing players to play longer.

Gordie Howe is the phenom!

Well it's the "new reality" for those QBs good enough and healthy enough to make it happen.

That's new and different in that a focus on health and fitness can empower a QB who has that drive

But I think the bottom line is that the lack of quality QBs in the league leaves the door open for QBs who make it to their 40s period.

Over the past 20 years there are maybe 10 QBs who, regardless of the number of SB Rings, are guys good enough in their prime to even consider playing in a sub-prime post-40

Top 10 NFL quarterbacks of the past decade | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

So while this dearth of QBs creates a higher demand for older QBs, there's no way that will ever be the "norm" simply because most QBs are just mediocre in their prime - let alone in their 40s

QBs like Wilson and Rodgers rely on their legs to make a fair amount of plays, those QBs have shorter careers generally.

Or as I always say, "Running Quarterbacks Break."

What I look forward to see is how much TB will affect the game: I remember reading an interview (I think it was on SI) where Jason Witten said that he was paying close attention to the "TB12 method"...

If others start applying themselves as strictly as Brady, we could see MORE qbs with 40 years old playing ,although I don't think we'll get more than 3 at the same time

Brees is 39 years old and still playing great, too. So, next year there'll be 2 40 year olds Qbs playing well at the same time

Saints-Patriots for next year's SB! The REAL Senior Bowl!

it's a delusion because what happens to a 40 year old who has a down year? he gets replaced by 25 year old QB.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back