PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Purge the Doubters and Weaklings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I am not saying that history is bound to repeat itself and that we will be fine. That is on the team and its coaching staff. But flat starts are not uncharted territory and not a death knell for a season.
True.

However, if they lose to the Fish next week and fall behind by 3 games, with the division leader having HTH win in hand, that is uncharted territory.

The problem is the team is devoid of talent, especially in the front seven of the defense. There is absolutely nobody in our front seven that would start for the Jets, Bills, or Dolphins. Think about that for a second. Hightower is a shell of his former self. I think the knee issues have degraded him. The Pats have spent no draft capital on the front seven. This years two first rounders should have been packaged to a move up to get an impact front seven player. Hell I would have loved it if they made the Khalil Mack trade. That looks like a steal now. Mack has a strip sack in each of the first three games. The Pats barely have a sack. This will not get better, Flowers return will help. But Unless BB pulls off some magic trades, this team will be lucky to finish above .500.

The Pats have been blown out in the last two weeks, by teams who have been beaten soundly by the Jets, and held to 6 points. Now add to the fact that that same Jets team just lost to the Browns, logic would assume that the Pats are worse than the Browns.

Edelman and Gordon will make a difference on the offense, but if the defense can't make the worst offenses in the league punt, imagine the atrocities when they actually play a decent offense, with a good QB.

Is it possible to get a thread going to make this better. I mean, the amount of "I told you so's" on this board is getting really tired.
Can we have a thread that wants to discuss how we make this team better and how it can be done constructively. I'd like to read that. this place is like a train wreck now.

I had a feeling that things weren't going to go well last night when Patterson returned the opening kick out to the 44 yard line and then the offense quickly went three and out, squandering that field position.

I wish they had thrown Gordon out there. If nothing else, perhaps he would have drawn some double coverage that might have freed up someone else on a few plays. And sending him deep to open the game would have been more exciting than a Sony Michel run.

I agree with everyone who thought the team appeared listless and uninterested. There was no sense of urgency. Other than once about five minutes before the half when Brady was trying to fire up the offense saying they just needed one good drive, they didn't seem to have any fire at all, on either side of the ball.

One can only hope that Gordon can actually add something positive to this team. Maybe with an effective Gordon on the field along with Edelman in a couple of weeks, this offense gets more dynamic and opponents have a more difficult time covering receivers. If that doesn't end up being the case, it could be a long season as I don't know what other answer there is offensively. Burkhead has been injured a bunch lately so obviously a move might need to be made there as well, with only Michel and White healthy. Michel had a few nice runs but obviously needs more time to develop, especially missing most of the preseason. Hopefully things will turn around for this offense over the next couple of weeks.

Defensively, ugh. No Flowers and Chung certainly hurt a bit but I don't really think having either or both of them in the lineup against the Lions would have made much difference. Hopefully BB can figure out a way to repair this mess quickly. The offense and defense both struggling at the same time is a new thing for the Pats, hopefully not the new normal.

I hope Miami comes into Foxboro next Sunday afternoon at least a little overconfident. That shouldn't be a stretch to imagine. They are 3-0 and the Patriots are 1-2, with two pretty bad losses in a row without many positives to take from either. Here's hoping Gordon gets on the field and contributes, even if it is just mostly to draw some attention and give Hogan, Gronk and company some breathing room.

I really don't see a difference to 2014 in terms of how it feels. Hell it was even worse back then because Brady's 2013 made it even more of an exclamation point.

Everyone talks about the KC debacle in 2014 but forgets how we sleep walked through the opening game against the Dolphins, won based on turnovers against a Vikings team run by Cassel right when the AP scandal took off and then barely beat a rebuilding Raiders team at home thanks to Wilfork grabbing that turnover. And only then came the culmination of it all in KC.

Now I am not saying that history is bound to repeat itself and that we will be fine. That is on the team and its coaching staff. But flat starts are not uncharted territory and not a death knell for a season.

Through 3 games the D was in better shape then that it is now.

I think the offense was in better shape then than it is now.

I did not think Tom was done back then. I still don't. He is not the problem.

Arrowhead is always a ***** to play at. I was concerned but not as concerned as I am now.

I think the dolphins game will tell a tale. If we go 1-3 I think this may be a rebuilding year. One of those seasons where you t just doesent work. Losing on the road is no where as bad as losing at home. We shall see

Arrowhead is always a ***** to play at. I was concerned but not as concerned as I am now.

I was talking more about that uninspired flatness.

I was talking more about that uninspired flatness.
Yea. I don't remember them coming out "flat" in 2014. vs MIA, MN and OAK I don't think they played their "A" game and when they went to Arrowhead, they ran into a typical streaky Chiefs team that was in the middle of winning 7 of 8.

This year....no question. They are coming out flat.

Its one thing to get out schemed or to have communication breakdowns. What we've seen the last two games and in the Superbowl is the Patriots getting pushed around and look slow.

If a team is going to be slow, it should at least be physical. We are seeing a slow team that lacks physicality. This is a real problem that I don't think can be fixed without a serious change. I feel like the DL should at least be able to be physical, maybe it is a technique thing? I don't know.

Its one thing to get out schemed or to have communication breakdowns. What we've seen the last two games and in the Superbowl is the Patriots getting pushed around and look slow.

If a team is going to be slow, it should at least be physical. We are seeing a slow team that lacks physicality. This is a real problem that I don't think can be fixed without a serious change. I feel like the DL should at least be able to be physical, maybe it is a technique thing? I don't know.

I can live with the dink-n-dunk stuff. That happens. I think the secondary play will get better.

I can also live with the offense sputtering. It'll come around.

But watching a run defense getting blown of the ball and RBs pushing tacklers back 2-3 yards after contact consistently is all about beef , attitude and toughness.

I don't think they have any of those 3 right now....

Yea. I don't remember them coming out "flat" in 2014. vs MIA, MN and OAK I don't think they played their "A" game and when they went to Arrowhead, they ran into a typical streaky Chiefs team that was in the middle of winning 7 of 8.

This year....no question. They are coming out flat.
Biggest difference is that the 2014 was loaded with young talent on both sides of the ball and were simply underperforming. This squad had very little of such talent.

I can live with the dink-n-dunk stuff. That happens. I think the secondary play will get better.

I can also live with the offense sputtering. It'll come around.

But watching a run defense getting blown of the ball and RBs pushing tacklers back 2-3 yards after contact consistently is all about beef , attitude and toughness.

I don't think they have any of those 3 right now....

I’m zeroing In on the DL as well. Just manhandled last night. It all starts up front.

Radical changes need made on defense.
What shocks me is how much D Mccourty has regressed.
He use to be able to take away half the field and close on balls.
He seems like hes lost 2 to the 3 steps.
The Dolphins will let bombs off.
They have receivers who can go deep anytime.
Harmon is looking more out of positon than Ive ever seen him.
Chung looked like he started to lose a step end of last season.
Gilmore is a stud but he cant do it all himself.
Jason Mccourty isnt part of the answer to fix the secondary.
The D line is getting steamrolled I really thought Shelton would be more Ted Washingon like however he looks like the version of Shaun Ellis we signed back when.
Adrian Clayborn?
Are you kidding me I saw that Cowboy game none of his sacks looked all pro it looked like je was going against a huge Jag.
I laughed and said some stupid team will pay him.
"sighs"
D tackle Malcolm Brown Jag
Ends Wise and Flowers lone bright spots.
Linebackers LMFAO we should have at least 3 new ones if we plan to fix this.
So I tend to be one to take action and not slack so heres my aggressive plan.
Tom may not like all of this.
Here goes.
Sign Dez Bryant
Sign Corey Coleman to the 53 he can run no one else can currently claim that.
Talk to the Raiders about Cooper maybe we can fix him.
Activate Billingly like the kid we need a little woodhead 2.0
Trade Chris Hogan or cut him dont care at this point return or cap considersations.
Hold tryouts for Thuneys spot and sign the best one.
Trade or cut Thuney.
Dorsett moved to inactive or off the roster in case of injury.
Sign Eric Reid sign Mike Mitchell at least he has fire.
Call old buddy John Gruden get him to take Devin and Jason while were at it Adrian Clayborns contract John you said you needed a pass rush.
A 5th no John thank you so much we appreciate it.
Hold tryouts a d tackle sign the meanest one No more boyscouts please.
I want someone who wants to fight a olineman for putting his hands on him.
Sign Eddie Lacy seriously here someone who can get 3rd and short.
Blow it up

Biggest difference is that the 2014 was loaded with young talent on both sides of the ball and were simply underperforming. This squad had very little of such talent.
No question there is a talent delta. That is not to say this current squad does not have enough talent to win.

The defense in 2014 was not a dumpster fire. Physically we are getting mauled. Not out-schemed, but outhit. There is no bandaid for that. We are playing teams that want it more than us - and now they smell blood in the water.

Radical changes need made on defense.
What shocks me is how much D Mccourty has regressed.
He use to be able to take away half the field and close on balls.
He seems like hes lost 2 to the 3 steps.
The Dolphins will let bombs off.
They have receivers who can go deep anytime.
Harmon is looking more out of positon than Ive ever seen him.
Chung looked like he started to lose a step end of last season.
Gilmore is a stud but he cant do it all himself.
Jason Mccourty isnt part of the answer to fix the secondary.
The D line is getting steamrolled I really thought Shelton would be more Ted Washingon like however he looks like the version of Shaun Ellis we signed back when.
Adrian Clayborn?
Are you kidding me I saw that Cowboy game none of his sacks looked all pro it looked like je was going against a huge Jag.
I laughed and said some stupid team will pay him.
"sighs"
D tackle Malcolm Brown Jag
Ends Wise and Flowers lone bright spots.
Linebackers LMFAO we should have at least 3 new ones if we plan to fix this.
So I tend to be one to take action and not slack so heres my aggressive plan.
Tom may not like all of this.
Here goes.
Sign Dez Bryant
Sign Corey Coleman to the 53 he can run no one else can currently claim that.
Talk to the Raiders about Cooper maybe we can fix him.
Activate Billingly like the kid we need a little woodhead 2.0
Trade Chris Hogan or cut him dont care at this point return or cap considersations.
Hold tryouts for Thuneys spot and sign the best one.
Trade or cut Thuney.
Dorsett moved to inactive or off the roster in case of injury.
Sign Eric Reid sign Mike Mitchell at least he has fire.
Call old buddy John Gruden get him to take Devin and Jason while were at it Adrian Clayborns contract John you said you needed a pass rush.
A 5th no John thank you so much we appreciate it.
Hold tryouts a d tackle sign the meanest one No more boyscouts please.
I want someone who wants to fight a olineman for putting his hands on him.
Sign Eddie Lacy seriously here someone who can get 3rd and short.
Blow it up
ChrisR...

Based on your avatar you have a beautiful family and seem like a decent dude.

Some of your proposals are completely unrealistic.

But my god man, get off the ledge and live a long life with them.

Pats are being outplayed badly at the LOS on both sides. Not sure why Bill hasn’t addressed that. Detroit’s LT threw Adrian Clayborne aside like a rag doll.

I know there have been injuries but the Talent evaluation of the Patriots leaves a lot to be desired. Even the Browns know that Danny Shelton sucks but we thought BB could Coach him up. Once a First Round Jag always a First Round Jag. Same goes for Dorsett he has not even improved he's a trash WR a #5 at best. This Team is going to get their @sses handed to them if they don't find away the fix that Offense. There is No Hope for that Defense! not even the Great BB can Scheme around that Train wreck.

Last edited:
Where is Eric Lee?? He played a lot better that these stiffs on D last year. What BB didn't think Lee could cut it with this pathetic lot??:confused: Again I rest my case on the questionable talent evaluation.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes