PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Punt returner options

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did; and I also noticed that Jacksonville didn't have to punt much at all either. Brilliant strategy to solve the Punt Returner puzzle: just keep the other team's offense on the field most of the day.
Can't believe Bill never thought of that one before. It was so obvious!

I did; and I also noticed that Jacksonville didn't have to punt much at all either. Brilliant strategy to solve the Punt Returner puzzle: just keep the other team's offense on the field most of the day.

The Jags kicked off 6 times and punted 3 times.

On the six kickoffs, Patterson was the returner for five, and four of those were kicked out the back of the EZ. Patterson brought one out for a 25-yd return, and Michel fielded a relatively short one for a 22-yd return. For the most part, the Jags appeared to be surrendering the 25-yd line to avoid a Patterson return.

Of the three punts, the Pats allowed the first two to be downed inside their own 20 (actually, one may have been a FC). On the third, Patterson was back as the returner, and Cooke kicked it short and to the away side of the field where it went OB at around the 35, IIRC. Would have been very good starting FP for the Pats, except that someone on the Pats return unit got flagged for holding (I think it was holding).

Anyway, Patterson may not see many return opportunities this season.

The Jags kicked off 6 times and punted 3 times.

On the six kickoffs, Patterson was the returner for five, and four of those were kicked out the back of the EZ. Patterson brought one out for a 25-yd return, and Michel fielded a relatively short one for a 22-yd return. For the most part, the Jags appeared to be surrendering the 25-yd line to avoid a Patterson return.

Of the three punts, the Pats allowed the first two to be downed inside their own 20 (actually, one may have been a FC). On the third, Patterson was back as the returner, and Cooke kicked it short and to the away side of the field where it went OB at around the 35, IIRC. Would have been very good starting FP for the Pats, except that someone on the Pats return unit got flagged for holding (I think it was holding).

Anyway, Patterson may not see many return opportunities this season.
Patterson may now be the primary punt returner.
Chung was in for the obvious fc play (he chose to let it bounce though) but Patterson was in for the other. There was no need for a returnman on that other kick.

Makes some sense to me. Cyrus is a different kind of CB versus Rowe and McCourty so perhaps he could be used situationally too. That’s a lot of CBs on the active roster though isn’t it? Gilmore, Rowe, McCourty, J.Jones, C.Jones, Jackson, Crossen...

That said, he’s primarily on the team right now as a PR and he can definitely be a really good one if he gets it together and doesn’t muff it. Even when Edelman comes back I would rather put Cyrus back there at least half the time if the game isn’t “on the line” assuming Cyrus isn’t dropping them.

That’s a lot of CBs on the active roster though isn’t it? Gilmore, Rowe, McCourty, J.Jones, C.Jones, Jackson, Crossen...

I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats make a move with Rowe sometime soon. Maybe Rowe for a 5th-rounder, and then move up one of the PS RBs or sign one of those who recently tried out (Darkwa had a lot of ST snaps on all four units during his first 2-3 seasons).

I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats make a move with Rowe sometime soon. Maybe Rowe for a 5th-rounder, and then move up one of the PS RBs or sign one of those who recently tried out (Darkwa had a lot of ST snaps on all four units during his first 2-3 seasons).
Great minds think alike I proposed this earlier as well.
Thinking Arizona will grab any kind of hope right now.

I hope the people imagining a Rowe-less defense are aware that JC Jackson is not the 6’1” he’s listed at, but actually 5’9¾”. Kyed pointed that out yesterday.

I hope the people imagining a Rowe-less defense are aware that JC Jackson is not the 6’1” he’s listed at, but actually 5’9¾”. Kyed pointed that out yesterday.

On my roster spreadsheet ... 5096/201, pre-draft measurements.

Anyway, Rowe's extra 2.25" in height doesn't appear to have helped him very much.

I saw that. What the hell. was he wearing platform shoes?

Maybe Jones will be like Chung, much better the second time around.

He can’t be much worse

Let’s reminisce for a moment about posts from September 10th.
E7817F1F-CCCB-46CA-9210-5ECD3B883E30.jpeg 2ECC3D73-C6EC-425E-AD3D-CD3DB1AC9F6F.jpeg
I love it when BB makes roster moves for the sole purpose of making Deus look bad. They are the only examples of him ignoring what’s best for the team but it’s still glorious.

Let’s reminisce for a moment about posts from September 10th.
View attachment 21283 View attachment 21284
I love it when BB makes roster moves for the sole purpose of making Deus look bad. They are the only examples of him ignoring what’s best for the team but it’s still glorious.

shrug.gif

Gwedd likes the idea and thinks it's smart, even though Jones has struggled with returns. I hate the idea and I think it's not smart, because Jones has struggled with returns.

It's really that simple. But you go, girl! You keep nipping at my ankles like a little pit yorkie. In the meantime, I'll hope that Gwedd turns out to be right and that Jones gets it done.

I am happy we are giving Cyrus Jones another shot. If he can stick as PR...and get some reps at CB...he has the measurables....just sayin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down