PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Punt returner options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsgofor4

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
After seeing Riley Harper Alexander Mccarron head butt the punt and then fail to recognize that the ball was tickling his wiener underneath him, it’s pretty clear that he Pats need to find a solution to their PR problem.

They could try Patterson there. Cy Jones could be signed off of the Ravens practice squad bu that seems unlikely.

Here’s another name: Travis Benjamin. He probably would be cheap, as the Chargers 4th WR, and could act as both a deep threat and a PR. I know that he had possibly the worst punt return in NFL history vs the Pats but his overall body of work is good (4 career punt return TDs over 6 seasons). I remember BB talking about how dangerous he is in the kicking game.

I’m open to other ideas as well. I’d personally prefer to keep Edelman away from PR duties, if possible.

Yeah, f### McCarron. He's had plenty of chances...

This is not the preseason. Do you really want him fielding a punt next week at a critical point of the game in a hostile environment against a possible contender for AFC home field advantage? Earlier in the game he made a mistake by fielding a punt inside the 10 instead of letting it bounce (likely) into the end zone. No thanks.

If I’m doing my math correctly, then trading for Travis Benjamin would leave them with under $50k in cap room. The savings from cutting McCarron will go toward the new player that takes Hill’s roster spot.

To be honest, I wouldn’t necessarily cut him after this mistake, but I think the situation is still very muddy - even if they keep him as the PR until Edelman returns, do you really want to run Edelman out there that often and risk his health? But once Edelman returns, McCarron is surely gone. So, if you only run Edelman out 60% of the time, then someone else is going out there the rest of the time, and if they’re good enough for that duty during that time then why aren’t they good enough to be the primary PR during Edelman’s absence? Maybe I’m wrong and Bill still sends Jules out there 90% or more of the time and just calls for the fair catch as needed, though.

Chace time. Hopefully we can get to week without it costing us.

If I’m doing my math correctly, then trading for Travis Benjamin would leave them with under $50k in cap room. The savings from cutting McCarron will go toward the new player that takes Hill’s roster spot.

Wasn’t Benjamin the dude who ran backwards on a punt against us for a safety?

This is not the preseason. Do you really want him fielding a punt next week at a critical point of the game in a hostile environment against a possible contender for AFC home field advantage? Earlier in the game he made a mistake by fielding a punt inside the 10 instead of letting it bounce (likely) into the end zone. No thanks.

Actually, you have no idea whether it would have bounced into the end zone. Just look at the Allen punt that pinned Houston inside the one. That looked destined for the end zone. It hit perfectly, Jones grabbed it and that was that. Unless you know for certain how it was going to hit, the fair catch was the correct play there.

I'd sign Jones and cut Mccarran. Even with Jones on the squad, Patterson or Chung could be used. I just think that C Jones is an OK special teamer.

Cyrus Jones is on the Ravens PS. The Patriots are already carrying 5 CBs not including JMAC. Do you really think he wants to come back here and be stuck in that log jam?

The Pats would need 5.411M in cap space to add Benjamin. According to OTC, they have 5.9M So they'd have just 500K left.. I don't see them doing that.

I was sitting there watching with my dad, I say aloud:

As long as he doesn’t botch this punt, we run three times and it’s over.

Then McCarron channels his inner Chris Harper, and I shut up for the next 6 minutes of the game.

I don't want Edelman out there catching punts. He's the Pats most dynamic receiver even if he's not 100% recovered from his ACL. Better to have someone else doing it than open Edelman up to additional potential injury.
He's also one of the best punt returners in NFL history. If anything, I think Belichick uses him too rarely on punt returns these days.

I assume that he’ll return to his fair catch duties, but I don’t think any of us want to see Edelman returning them on a consistent basis.
I do. He's your best punt returner. Play him. His risk of injury is no more than running across the middle and getting headhunted by a linebacker.

He's also one of the best punt returners in NFL history. If anything, I think Belichick uses him too rarely on punt returns these days.
Generally, I would agree that football players need to play football, but with Edelman’s age, the fact that he’s coming off of a serious injury, and the lack of adequate depth options behind him for the real games in January/February, I think that he should be limited to fair catch situations inside of the 20.

We just recently had this same conversation about Amendola a year or two ago, and he had been hurt 4 consecutive times returning punts.

Generally, I would agree that football players need to play football, but with Edelman’s age, the fact that he’s coming off of a serious injury, and the lack of adequate depth options behind him for the real games in January/February, I think that he should be limited to fair catch situations inside of the 20.

Couldn't disagree more. If that were the philosophy, Hightower and Gronkowski would have played about 20 snaps each, and Cannon wouldn't have played at all.

Also, how high are the chances that if Edelman hasn't returned a punt all year, that he'd botch one in the playoffs? It's not like he's got Jerry Rice Stickum hands as it is.

I dunno. You put your best players in, unless you have a legitimate option. Patrick Chung isn't it.

Couldn't disagree more. If that were the philosophy, Hightower and Gronkowski would have played about 20 snaps each, and Cannon wouldn't have played at all.

Also, how high are the chances that if Edelman hasn't returned a punt all year, that he'd botch one in the playoffs? It's not like he's got Jerry Rice Stickum hands as it is.

I dunno. You put your best players in, unless you have a legitimate option. Patrick Chung isn't it.
If this were Belichick’s philosophy, then why didn’t he return more punts in 2015 (10 returns) and 2016 (15 returns)?

If we’re taking the average of his past couple of healthy years, it would be about 12.5 per year. That’s way down from his 35-40 in years past. I don’t expect it to be any different, this year. If he’s got some obvious room in front of him, I think he’d return it, but I think those situations are becoming less and less. Any way you look at it, we need another option. I agree that it’s probably not Chung.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey