OLB(3) Mayo, Collins, Fletcher
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Cole
SS (3) Wilson, Harmon, Ebner
FS (2) McCourty, Gregory
ST (3) Gostkowski, Allen, Aiken

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2013

PUP: Armstead

On the bubble: Grissom, Zusevics, T.Wilson, Dowling, Gregory, Develin, Hoomanawanui, Washington, Vellano.

I have Wilson (2nd, 2012), (Dowling, 2nd 2011), Cunningham (2nd 2010) and Bequette (3rd, 2012) cut.

Possible PS: Sims, Aiken, Kline, Develin, Harrison, Grissom, Green, Winn, White, Davis

5 RB, 6WR, 4TE and 2 QB (There's no way you can justify a roster spot for Tebow.)

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Bolden, Washington
WR (6) Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
TE (4) Gronkowski, Ballard, Sudfeld, Fells
C (1) Wendell
G (3) Mankins, Cannon, Connolly
T (3) Solder, Vollmer, Svitek
DE (6) Jones, Ninkovich, Benard, Buchanan, Francis, Cunningham
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Armstead
ILB(3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan
SS (3) Wilson, Gregory, Wilson
FS (2) McCourty, Harmon
ST (3) Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken

I think Washington will be a 'surprise cut' - I think he is probably done, and we really don't have a space for a pure returner (otherwise we would have just kept Jeff Demps)

I have Wilson (2nd, 2012), (Dowling, 2nd 2011), Cunningham (2nd 2010) and Bequette (3rd, 2012) cut

With all due respect you don’t really believe any of these player outside of Cunningham have a legitimate chance to be cut, because that is just being way to short sited if you ask me. Draft picks in any round can be long team investments rather than immediate. You cannot give up on Wilson and Bequette after just one season unless you’re convinced the talent you saw in them prior to the draft does not exist, or they don’t show any effort in doing what it takes to use their talent.

I think Washington will be a 'surprise cut' - I think he is probably done, and we really don't have a space for a pure returner (otherwise we would have just kept Jeff Demps)

We dumped Demps because we couldn’t get him to show up and play football; he is too busy running track. I do agree however that Washington could be a surprise cut, especially if a guy like Josh Boyce can show that he can use his rare speed as a kick returner.

I agree that he could be cut, if he's doesn't give them significantly better returns than the next guy, his spot is in jeopardy. Don't expect him to be much of a factor in the run game.

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Washington, Blount
TE (4) Gronkowski, Sudfeld, Ballard, Hoomanawanui
C (2) Wendell, Stankiewitch
G (3) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
DE (6) Ninkovich, Jones, Francis, Bequette, Benard, Buchanan
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Vellano
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon

With all due respect you don’t really believe any of these player outside of Cunningham have a legitimate chance to be cut, because that is just being way to short sited if you ask me. Draft picks in any round can be long team investments rather than immediate. You cannot give up on Wilson and Bequette after just one season unless you’re convinced the talent you saw in them prior to the draft does not exist, or they don’t show any effort in doing what it takes to use their talent.

I don't see Bequette making it at this point at all, he just hasn't done anything. He's at the bottom of the depth chart on top of barely playing last year, dressing for only three games. Do you think they should keep Bequette over Francis at this point? Francis is the top backup, more productive, more versatile. Would you toss away the better player because of draft position? Buchanon? Looks like a better prospect, better pass rush ability. Benard has significantly outperformed him in TC.

Wilson has looked lost out there and has dropped to the 5th safety. Read some people thought he did OK yesterday, I must have missed those plays. (I mean that, I didn't see every play but what I did see was pretty bad.) He's missed a lot of plays in coverage and has had missed a good amount of tackles against the run. He was supposed to be a smart player but is rarely in position. Pat Chung part 2. Playing in scrub time is not a good thing for someone who played significant minutes last year.

Dowling? Can't make the club from the tub. He done next to nothing. BB seems to give up to the third year before cutting loose an always injured non productive draftee. This is his third year.

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Tebow
WR (6) Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater, Thompkins
TE (4) Gronkowski, Ballard, Sudfeld, Hoomanawanui
C (1) Wendell
DE (6) Ninkovich, Jones, Bequette, Benard, Buchanan, Francis
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Forston
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
CB (6) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, Ryan, Green
SS (3) Wilson, Wilson, Ebner
FS (2) McCourty, Gregory
ST (2) Gostkowski, Mesko

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Washington, Blount
WR (6) Amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Thompkins, Slater, Boyce
TE (3) Fells, Hoomanawanui, Sudfeld
C (1) Wendell
T (4) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek, Zusevics
DE (5) Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Benard, Buchanan
DT (5) Wilfork, Kelly, Cunningham, Forston, White (he is my sleeper pick to make this team)
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson

(20) Outside Looking In: Tebow, Ballard, Sims, Stankiewich, Kline, McDonald, K. Aiken, Bequette, Grissom, Rivera, Tarpinian, Koutovides, Lewis, Dowling, Jones, Green, Ebner, Allen, and two others

PUP: Gronkowski

NFI: Armstead

This is my projected 75-man roster following the first cut.

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Edelman, Boyce, Dobson, Slater
TE (4) Ballard, Sudfeld, Fells, Hoomanawanui
C (1) Wendell
G (4) Mankins, Cannon, Connolly, Zusevics
DE (5) Ninkovich, Jones, Benard, Francis, Buchanan
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Grissom
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(3) Hightower, Mayo, Collins
PUP/NFI (3): Harrison, Gronkowski, Armstead

-Tebow is gone.
-Still keeping Bolden on the team. We know he has potential, and he's a core ST player.
-Zusevics makes it as the 8th OL, but maybe Stankiewitch or Kline could make it and give some extra depth at center. As it stands now, Connolly would have to move over to center (if he's even the starting RG) in case Wendell gets hurt.
-I'm about ready to give up on Bequette. I don't even think he'd be intercepted on the way to the PS, which is where he belongs.
-There is literally no depth at DT. Neither Forston nor Grissom should be on a 53 man roster in the NFL, but you can't just keep 2 or 3 DT.
-No other LB has stepped up and made a case to be the 6th, so I'm just keeping 5.
-Giving up on Dowling as well. He wasn't even high on the depth chart to begin with, and he can't stay on the field. Cole is a terrible cornerback but at least he can play ST well.
-Gregory finds his way back onto my 53 after a solid performance, although keeping 6 safeties is a bit much. He'll be the first to go if I have to get rid of one, because while T. Wilson is awful, he deserves another year if the front office thought he was worthy of a second round pick.
-Mesko wins the punting battle and it's not even close.
-Any of the guys on the PUP/NFI could be taken off but I'm not one to predict that, so they stay.

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Edelman, Boyce, Dobson, Slater
TE (4) Ballard, Sudfeld, Fells, Hoomanawanui
C (1) Wendell
G (4) Mankins, Cannon, Connolly, Zusevics
DE (5) Ninkovich, Jones, Benard, Francis, Buchanan
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(3) Hightower, Mayo, Collins
PUP/NFI (3): Harrison, Gronkowski, Armstead

-Tebow is gone.
-Still keeping Bolden on the team. We know he has potential, and he's a core ST player.
-Zusevics makes it as the 8th OL, but maybe Stankiewitch or Kline could make it and give some extra depth at center. As it stands now, Connolly would have to move over to center (if he's even the starting RG) in case Wendell gets hurt.
-I'm about ready to give up on Bequette. I don't even think he'd be intercepted on the way to the PS, which is where he belongs.
-There is literally no depth at DT. Neither Forston nor Grissom should be on a 53 man roster in the NFL, but you can't just keep 2 or 3 DT.
-No other LB has stepped up and made a case to be the 6th, so I'm just keeping 5.
-Giving up on Dowling as well. He wasn't even high on the depth chart to begin with, and he can't stay on the field. Cole is a terrible cornerback but at least he can play ST well.
-Gregory finds his way back onto my 53 after a solid performance, although keeping 6 safeties is a bit much. He'll be the first to go if I have to get rid of one, because while T. Wilson is awful, he deserves another year if the front office thought he was worthy of a second round pick.
-Mesko wins the punting battle and it's not even close.
-Any of the guys on the PUP/NFI could be taken off but I'm not one to predict that, so they stay.

Good thoughts Elijah - I have Beauharnais making it because he will be a special team guy in addition to linebacking depth.

I have Gregory making for any reason that includes the fact that Tavon Wilson and Duron Harmon taking a step back last night.

Don't quite agree with your sentiment about Forston though....He looks pretty damn good to me. I would keep an eye on White (DT). He looks nice. Took on a good number of double teams last night.

I don't have Ballard making it. I could be wrong though.

QB (2) Mallett, Brady
RB (5) Vereen, Blount, Washington, Develin, Ridley
WR (6) Amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Slater, Thompkins, Boyce
TE (4) Sudfeld, Fells, Ballard, Gronkowski
C (2) Wendell, Stankiewitch
G (4) Cannon, Connolly, McDonald, Mankins
T (4) Vollmer, Svitek, Zusevics, Solder
DE (3) Ninkovich, Francis, Jones
DT (4) Kelly, Forston, Armstead, Wilfork
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher
OLB(3) Mayo, Collins, Hightower
CB (6) Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Dowling, Cole, Talib
SS (2) Ebner, Wilson
FS (3) Harmon, Gregory, McCourty
ST (3) Gostkowski, Aiken, Mesko

Biggest issues are CB depth and DT depth and disfunction again at safety so,
Other possibilities a cut FA replacing Wilson or Gregory and the same at DT Armstead (PUP) and CB (Cole cut or Dowling IRed)

EDIT: Yes, too many OL

I tend to agree.

If Washington is not a factor in the running game, I don't think that we will keep him.

I don't think Belichick thinks that a dedicated kick returner is worth a roster spot, especially after the change to the rules.

How many reps did Washington get as a running back in the last two games?

I don't think Washington is a likely cut at all. The challenge is trying to find a way to keep Bolden on the roster, not Washington. Blount is more convincing on the goal line, and has even flashed in the open field. Plus, dont forget, Bolden and Cunningham were the two guys tapped for juicing last year. Is it unusual that neither one has been nearly as explosive since?

My 53-man:

RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Washington
TE (4) Sudfeld, Ballard, Hoomanawanui, Fells
C (1) Wendell
G (4) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, McDonald
T (4) Solder, Vollmer, Svitek, Zusevics
DE (4) Ninkovich, Jones, Francis, Bequette
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Armstead
ILB(2) Spikes, Fletcher

Yes to Tebow. Belichick doesn't do anything without a plan. Just signing Tebow for TC would not be worth the effort. I think McDaniels is personally committed to wrapping an offense around Tebow.

Depth at C in the form of Connolly, and put Stankiewitch on the PS.

I've kept Bequette (I don't see any reason to give up on him). All the random young guys at DT and DE... no one has made a case for a roster spot, that I can see.

I've put Gronk on PUP.

I think Harmon is a winner, and Tavon Wilson is developing just fine.

I can't defend the idea of keeping Dowling on the roster, much to my disappointment. He hasn't been healthy for three straight weeks since he was drafted. Turn the page.

Would like to keep Green, who seems like a viable young corner. But he's just too green. He'll clear waivers for the PS.

How about Joe Vellano clogging up the middle? Maybe has a shot? He has seen playing time in both games and has looked solid.

Vellano has a shot at one of the 2 likely backup DT spots, especially if Armstead goes on an in-season injury list. I think that he and Grissom will end up on the Practice Squad.

How about Joe Vellano clogging up the middle? Maybe has a shot? He has seen playing time in both games and has looked solid.

Why not, good time-kill...

WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
TE (4) Sudfeld, Ballard, Fells, Hoomanawanui
C (1) Wendell
DE (5) Ninkovich, Jones, Francis, Benard, Buchanan
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson
PUP/etc: Gronk, Armstead, Harrison

Everybody's lists look largely the same - really just guessing at the bottom 10% of the roster...

- Predict that Tebow is in... whether I like it or not. However, if we're going to keep a 3rd QB, I'm hoping a better option presents itself after cuts. (Maybe Hoyer shakes loose from Cleveland? Seems I haven't heard his name much...)

- Wouldn't be shocked to see Develin push Hooman or maybe one of the RBs for a spot.

- 4 TEs seems like a pretty solid number if we're going to be running lots of 2- and 3-TE sets with or without Gronk. (For the same line of reasoning, I would also disagree that it's a foregone conclusion that one of them necessarily gets bumped off when Gronk returns.)

- Woefully thin at OL, but not sure who makes it.

- Really no clue about back-up DT. Will keep a better eye on that position in the next game.

- If Bequette is in for another season of healthy scratches, forget it. Time to try something else.

- Hoping Dowling magically makes an appearance and knocks Cole off the squad. Not holding my breath...

- Don't think both Ebner and Tavon are back. (In any event, 6 safeties seems a little heavy.) If Cole is out, maybe it's Ebner for STs.

A fine analysis

I would guess that most of us expect Gronk to be on the 53 in place of Hooman. Your choice of Beauharnais over Rivera, Koutouvides and Tarpinian is also a popular one; my gut says no. Finally, you are part of the group that keeps on putting only 7 OL's on the team, when we usually carry 8-10. But these are minor nitpicks.

Why not, good time-kill...

WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
TE (4) Sudfeld, Ballard, Fells, Hoomanawanui
C (1) Wendell
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson
PUP/etc: Gronk, Armstead, Harrison

Everybody's lists look largely the same - really just guessing at the bottom 10% of the roster...

- Predict that Tebow is in... whether I like it or not. However, if we're going to keep a 3rd QB, I'm hoping a better option presents itself after cuts. (Maybe Hoyer shakes loose from Cleveland? Seems I haven't heard his name much...)

- Wouldn't be shocked to see Develin push Hooman or maybe one of the RBs for a spot.

- 4 TEs seems like a pretty solid number if we're going to be running lots of 2- and 3-TE sets with or without Gronk. (For the same line of reasoning, I would also disagree that it's a foregone conclusion that one of them necessarily gets bumped off when Gronk returns.)

- Woefully thin at OL, but not sure who makes it.

- Really no clue about back-up DT. Will keep a better eye on that position in the next game.

- If Bequette is in for another season of healthy scratches, forget it. Time to try something else.

- Hoping Dowling magically makes an appearance and knocks Cole off the squad. Not holding my breath...

- Don't think both Ebner and Tavon are back. (In any event, 6 safeties seems a little heavy.) If Cole is out, maybe it's Ebner for STs.

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Washington
WR (6) Amendola, Edelman, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Slater
TE (4) Ballard, Fells, Hoomanawanui, Sudfeld
C (1) Wendell
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Grissom/Vellano
SS (2) Wilson, Wilson

Total players: 51

Most conservative estimates:

Armstead - NFI/PUP
Gronkowski - PUP
Harrison - PUP

Comments:

Backup Center - one of the biggest question marks on the current roster
Last roster spot - QB (ugh!), RB, SS

Practice Squad:

Aiken (Kamar)
Kline/McDonald
Zusevics
Grissom/Vellano
Bequette
Tarpinian
Davis/Green

Speed Dial:

Koutouvides
Rivera

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back