PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction: Gronk won't get another contract with the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What drives me crazy about this argument is that there are literally tons of NFL players with the patriots and other teams who have similar long injury histories but are still deemed valuable players. Gronks injuries are in the spotlight because he is a transcendent talent. Even if he only plays half the games (he plays way more than that), he's one of the most valuable players on the team. So no, they won't trade him or let him walk. They may build injury clauses into his contract, but belichick knows gronk is a once in a lifetime player. Do you think they're "tired" of the 1000 yards and 12 td a year, dominant blocking? Tired of him single handedly dominating the broncos defense and almost taking a team that otherwise played an awful game to the super bowl? Please

Maybe Gronk needs some TB12 type conditioning.
Brady seemingly defies age, perhaps his trainer knows something most don't, I think Gronk would be wise to link up with him.

This seems awfully premature, considering that Belichick may not even be calling the shots by the end of Gronk's contract.

I think injuries are just part of the package you accept with big, versatile TEs. They take a ton of punishment. If you want longevity in a TE, Tony Gonzalez is your guy, but even at his best he never did a lot of what Gronk does.

So I don't think the Pats are going to hold it against him or anything, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're anticipating that he'll decline pretty suddenly at a fairly young age. I wouldn't be surprised if his decline begins in the next 1-2 years.

He's definitely a China doll. That's the problem. Do you break the bank for an elite TE and risk injury? Can you really replace what he brings when he's actually on the field? Double edge sword.

No way we let this guy go. Have you forgotten how many times Gronk has fired up the offense with a huge play? He is an important emotional spark. He absolutely gets the offense going when he does play. He blocks well. He draws defenders. He is never a liability. Add some playing time incentives on his next contract.

No, I'm not a Gronk hater, I don't even think such a thing exists. But I can't help but to read something into what Belichick said to the sideline reporter person today about the team being 'used to it' if he was specifically talking about Gronk.

I love Gronk, I want him to finish here. I also loved Collins, I'm not ragging on Gronk but I'm beginning to think that Belichick won't want to give him another contract because of how much time Gronk seems to lose to injury issues.

This isn't a hopeful prediction, I just feel like Belichick might be getting tired of Gronk's injury status being an issue almost every year.
i won't be surprised to see him traded. if they sign bennet i think the chances of a gronk trade increase. he just cant stay on the field.

I was absolutely losing my **** when Brady threw him that shot down the middle, forcing him to dive and land awkwardly. We just saw the exact same thing happen on a longer, downfield throw when Gronk finally returned a few years ago, only to re-brake his arm on a sprawled out dive for a massively overthrown ball in what amounted to be a pointless situation.

I'd much rather utilize him for red zone opportunities, seam routes, and his exceptional blocking ability, particularly since it's basically December and he's battling multiple injury concerns this year. Let someone else--hell, anyone else, run downfield and give up their body for low percentage throws that are rarely completed. I realize that football is often instinctual, but I was a bit disappointed in that particular decision, especially after losing him for the season on a very similar ball from Brady.

i won't be surprised to see him traded. if they sign bennet i think the chances of a gronk trade increase. he just cant stay on the field.

Gronk missed exactly one game due to injury in the last 2 seasons. So by that logic, are they going to trade Edelman too? What about Hightower? Slater? All guys who have had multiple injuries and missed significant time. It's football. Most players miss games frequently. Why keep the rest of them and trade the greatest tight end of all time?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Pats finally seeing a reasonable period of his contract after patiently waiting for his injuries to heal while handing over a good amount of cash in the beginning? Isn't this one of the main reasons why Gronk "joked around" about how much of a "paycut" he's now taking? Pretty sure he tweeted that this spring/summer.

If this is true, why would Belichick decide to move on from him now? Seems weird that they'd have paid so much in anticipation of a reasonable pact on the back-end, only to see that moment come and decide that they've suddenly had enough and want to move on?

@Miguel--what are your thoughts on the subject?

Brady seemingly defies age, perhaps his trainer knows something most don't, I think Gronk would be wise to link up with him.

There's nothing "strange" going on...just the goddamned persistent "he's up to something!!!" meme...he's 39.
Here's a guy who did THIS at 43...in a MUCH TOUGHER era where hits were allowed from head to toe...

"That season (1970) Blanda, at age 43, had a remarkable five-game run. Against the Steelers, Blanda threw for three touchdowns in relief of an injured Daryle Lamonica. One week later, his 48-yard field goal with three seconds remaining salvaged a 17–17 tie with the Kansas City Chiefs. On November 8, Blanda once again came off the bench to throw for a touchdown pass to tie the Cleveland Browns with 1:34 remaining, then kicked a 53-yard field goal with 0:03 left for the 23–20 win. Immediately after the winning field goal, Raiders radio announcer Bill King excitedly declared, "George Blanda has just been elected King of the World!"[3] In the team's next game, Blanda replaced Lamonica in the fourth quarter and connected with Fred Biletnikoff on a touchdown pass with 2:28 left in the game to defeat the Denver Broncos, 24–19.

Warren Moon passed for 3600+ yards at age 41. Brady's not defying anything. He's where any player would be given today's medicine and sports training regimens.

And this thought of Bennett suddenly making him expendable is amusing to me. We haven't even gotten through an entire season with him yet and people are already trying to replace the greatest TE in the history of the game.

Last edited:
To expand on my previous post:

Gronkowski has missed 17% of the games in his career due to injury. Edelman and Hightower have each missed 21% of their games. Danny Amendola has missed 30% of his games. Just a few examples of very good players. There are many other examples. Gronk is a transcendent player. And he's the one we want to run out of town. Seems logical.

The comment wasn’t by accident. Bill over thinks everything and knows exactly what and how he's saying whatever it is he's conveying.

Gronk is an absolute beast and when healthy the best TE ever. That's incredible. I try to work a team friendly deal bc 87/88 when healthy is an impossible match up for defenses.

That said there are more than enough guys that could replace 85-90% of his production. The problem is a lot of those guys get hurt as well bc its football.

The comment wasn’t by accident.

You know, generally I agree, but I think we can all fall prey to frustration and say things we regret. If it was directed at Gronk it seemed like an unusually pointed statement.

Also, to just further clarify, this thread isn't me pointing at the horizon and going 'gee I sure hope that's a tornado coming this way.' This is me pointing at the horizon and saying 'Looks like some bad weather coming this way.' I don't want us to move on from Gronk.

I also didn't want us to move on from Ty Law, Collins, Mankins, Seymour and a host of other people we've seen who were surprise cuts or trades.

The comment wasn’t by accident. Bill over thinks everything and knows exactly what and how he's saying whatever it is he's conveying.

Gronk is an absolute beast and when healthy the best TE ever. That's incredible. I try to work a team friendly deal bc 87/88 when healthy is an impossible match up for defenses.

That said there are more than enough guys that could replace 85-90% of his production. The problem is a lot of those guys get hurt as well bc its football.

Isn't it possible that Belichick was simply commenting on the fact that "they're used to it" in terms of dealing with injuries? Why does this thought have to be Gronkowski specific? That doesn't sound like Belichick to me. I don't think he's known for throwing players under the bus, particularly ones who are coming back from a punctured lung after only missing a week.

As for your bolded comment--even Bennett (everyone's replacement, even though he's been a proven malcontent in every city he's played in, is currently dealing with multiple injuries himself, and is pushing 30) cannot replicate "85-90 percent" of Rob Gronkowski's production. Hell, he was the featured TE in last week's game with Gronk out and still only produced 1 catch for 14 yds.

Who are all of these guys you're referring to? I wouldn't know any other TE in the game who could do so, and that includes Jimmy Graham. Maybe Travis Kelce? Olson from CAR will be 32 when spring hits. Antonio Gates is old and injury riddled. Where are all of these pro bowl TEs hiding?

If Gronkowski leaves then Brady will likely retire. I think we can squeeze another 2-3 seasons out of the two.

Obviously there are teams that are willing to give #1 picks for Gronkowski even with his injury history.

I just hope Gronk starts drinking more milk in the upcoming offseasons when going out to the bars, and less of the loud mouth soup.

BB doesn't coach to win 16 games. He coaches to win the SB. Big difference.

Gronk is an incredible weapon. He is a game changer. You manage him throughout the season with hopes that he will will impact games during the season but more importantly that he will be on the field during a Super Bowl.

That's what BB does, especially lately and we better get "used to it".

He played 15 games last 2 years and 8 this year ... They didn't trade or cut Mayo despite being a shadow for 3 years i don't think he will go anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back