PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smart QB play can make an OL look great. Brady made millionaires out of his O lineman.

People are fearful that Zap just might be the better option to win. I hope that BB sticks with his mantra of doing what is best for the team.

The Pats run game is top 10. Stevenson is a Beast and Harris is a Stud. How can anyone question the Pats RBs?

The Pats are not losing games because of the run game.

Because when you blitz Jones he folds. Pittsburgh let him have all the time that he wanted to throw.

Maybe yes and maybe no.

You really comparing zapped play to Brady? Now zappe mania is getting out of hand. Now zappe with his 188 yards and 1 TD against the worst defense fixed the OL. Not that the OL is just settling in. It's the same energy of fans saying dak shouldn't come back because cooper rush won throwing 102 yards yesterday.

It's clear the OL is playing better. Let's take a step back. 5 field goals and 188 yards 1td isn't something to go crazy over. He did his job, he did what Mac Jones did all last season. managed the game.

I'm not saying he won't be better than Mac Jones. He might, but I just think we need to slow our roll here and take a step back. He hasn't done anything yet to say we should move on from Mac Jones. You also don't move on after a poor 3 games into a QBs second season.

It's not like zappe threw for 400 yards, 3tds and was bombing it all over the field. They ran the ball, played solid defense, had 6 turnovers on downs and played for field goals.

Doesn't look like we're getting the "A" team again this week:

Rham and D Harris, both playing really well:

If harris is out that really hurts here especially without ty. Strong will have to get up to speed in a hurry, unless they want to try taylor again. But I don’t want rham to get beat up too much again, already handled a massive load yesterday

You going to try and say the OL was good those weeks? It literally got him injured and then got hoyer injured. Wynn has been abysmal.

Zappe has been good but let's not play revisionist history here. No run game, OL was a sieve. Only started to solidify last 2 weeks. And Wynn still has been trash
Mac has had a ton of time to throw. He was injured after he let go of the ball. We have one of the best pass protecting OLs in the league

Mac has had a ton of time to throw. He was injured after he let go of the ball. We have one of the best pass protecting OLs in the league

This.

The OL did well for Zappe, but they’ve done well for Jones, too.

No doubt they’ve improved from week 1, but the pass protection (with the exception of some communication breakdowns early in the season) has been pretty darn good in most of their games, including the ones Jones played in.

Jones simply hasn’t demonstrated the pocket awareness and savvy that Zappe did yesterday.

Very winnable. Run it down their throats, figure out a game plan for Chubb.

Zappe again, IMO. If you're gonna put Mac back out there do it when he's able to move around without wincing.

Browns running game worries me.

But if we can neutralize it to a decent extent, I really like our chances here.

The last time that NE lost to the Browns was in 2010 @ Cleveland vs Mangina. Remember all the trickery?

The Pats absolutely need to stop Chubb since the Browns are ranked # 1 in the NFL rushing the ball.

2 - 3 vs 2 -3
Series tied 13 - 13

Where is that numerology guy at? Banned? Sure would like to see what he has to say about this.
Colt McCoy looked like peak Montana that day during the times Peyton Hillis wasn’t running through us. Was a rough game.

Just thinking back, didn’t Edelman play cornerback that day for a few snaps?

This.

The OL did well for Zappe, but they’ve done well for Jones, too.

No doubt they’ve improved from week 1, but the pass protection (with the exception of some communication breakdowns early in the season) has been pretty darn good in most of their games, including the ones Jones played in.

Jones simply hasn’t demonstrated the pocket awareness and savvy that Zappe did yesterday.
I agree with everything but the last part. We're overemphasizing what happened yesterday. You get a big lead against the Lions. You dictate. You run for a ton of yards. You're way ahead. They're not blitzing you. Not only that, but you don't have to stand in there for plays to develop as you're trying to come from behind down 2 scores.

The true (and really only test) is to compare QBs when they're up against teams like the Ravens and they've fallen behind. At that point, Zappe is forced to air it out.

I think it’s an easy choice. It was proved we can win, at least against sub par teams with rookie Zappe. Play him again because ankle sprains are easily aggravated. There shouldn’t be a rush for him to return if he’s not 100%.
I do not think tve Browns are a “sub par” team
They have very good talent and are stacked with playmakers even without the massage king.

Not sure the Browns can either

f1614eb4cfa28aeafcad9ee36a55fe62.png
a5570ccf9d5ae90f4681978b55527f94.png
The Browns allowed 8.6 yards to Ekeler and Kelley.. Just ridiculous. Getting Dontae Jones should help their defense in that respect.... Maybe..

I'm hoping we see healthy doses of Stevenson and Strong.

Pats really need to work on the Red Zone.

Last edited:
So Strong isn't injured, he's just been inactive? They only carried 2 active RB's yesterday. That's worrisome, but this week we'll have no choice, Strong seems guaranteed to get some reps this week, and I hope he can show something. BB said it's doubtful Ty is back, and I doubt they bring up a PS RB, although JJ at least has experience over Strong. I'm just concerned putting the whole load on Rham so early in the season, we're going to need him down the stretch. Either way, Browns were awful against the run vs. Chargers, so hope we can take advantage again.

They carried only 2 RBs yesterday because they had need at other positions. Like TE and QB. You know. the 2 positions they brought up from the PS.

Why do you doubt they bring up Taylor or Harris? Taylor has 3 years in the system.

I would expect to see, at most, a 70/30 split between Rham and Strong against the Browns. In fact, I would expect Strong to have a good showing because the Browns run defense is so atrocious.

Colt McCoy looked like peak Montana that day during the times Peyton Hillis wasn’t running through us. Was a rough game.
Daboll was his OC.

Thought it was another home game.

Let's hope Guy is back this week. Not on IR so hopefully the injury is not too bad. He does not need much practice during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back