PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread - Pats @ Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mills would have returned sooner if they had performed a cadaveric groin transplant on him.
Mills is conveniently missing ANOTHER game against against the Bills. I think he has made a business decision to not be embarrassed by Diggs etc. Maybe the Bills would've punted at least once last year if Mills was in over some of the practice squad elevations we made that game.

That's the problem with the forum as it currently exists. I expect the changes @Ian has planned will help. Too many internet trolls here who aren't fans of the Patriots, they are fans of winning. Some are just here to be pricks. I hope we get back to some constructive discussions.
And who made you gatekeeper of fan definition?

The problem is people who keep telling others what a proper fan is and how they should behave. How about you let people say their peace (whole point of this place) and feel free to voice a different opinion or not?

I visit other teams fans occasionally and see plenty of disagreement. What I don't see is the higher than thou I see here constantly against others for daring to voice negative feelings about the team.

People need to grow up or buy some thick skin.

Last edited:
We have a decent chance of winning this game given the stuff the Bills had to deal with.

The problem is people who keep telling others what a proper fan is and how they should behave. How about you let people say their peace (whole point of this place) and feel free to voice a different opinion or not?

I visit other teams fans occasionally and see plenty of disagreement. What I don't see is the higher than thou I see here constantly against others for daring to voice negative feelings about the team.

People need to go up or buy some thick skin.
This is a pre game thread, let's get back on topic of the game please.

Man I would love it if a thread like this was just discussing strategy/x's and o's.

Let's do that now. I do think the best strategy on offense is to slow the game down. I think teams that are heavy underdogs (and I consider the Patriots just that in that match up) should try to decrease the number of possessions. I believe that the more possessions the more the better team is likely to show their advantage, when limiting the amount of possessions that one big mistake by the favorites is likely to swing the game. I'd love to see the Pats dominate time of possession.

On the other hand, the best part of the Patriots team is their pass rush. Usually the pass rush has the most success when they can pin their ears back in passing situations. If the Pats could some how get up early and force the Bills to try to score quickly against cover 2 or 3 then the Pats pass rush could really be a factor. It is amazing how great the Pats pass rush has been this year without the benefit of really being up big in almost any game. Since getting a big lead is unlikely, I think the Pats will need to play a lot of coverage heavy looks and hope their pass rushers win one and one battles. Force the Bills to score in long 10 play drives rather than with explosive plays.

In theory an aggressive offense would make a lot of sense here. The Bills are on their third sting safety and I'm not that impressed with their corners (White hasn't been as good coming back from injury as he has been in the past). If I was at all confident in the Pats ability to go deep it would make 100% sense for the Pats to try to get over the top of the Bills defense. I think the Bills defensive strength is at their linebackers with Edmunds an Milano, in the past these guys have stifled the Patriots run game and given the short passing game fits too.

So based on the Bills strengths I think a spread offense with deep passing concepts is the best way to attack them, on defense creating pressure with 4 and waiting for Allen to make mistakes throwing into coverage heavy sets would probably be ideal. I just have no faith in the Pats offensive line to hold up long enough or the receivers to create enough separation to take advantage of the Bills secondary. With the way the Pats have struggled to consistently execute, getting explosive plays on offense would help because it would minimize the times they needed to run a play perfectly. The answer might be to try to manufacture big plays using trick plays and formations to fool the Bills.

Ok, I’ll follow your lead. Some of the following is obvious and the rest is unlikely but should be marginally better than speculating about the suspensions of two players who were never going to be playing this game anyway.

1673129960427.gif

Recipe for a major upset:

DEFENSE:
1. Barmore was back to his dominant self last week. Collapse the pocket with him on the interior, Judon and Uche on the edge. Force Allen to make some ill-advised throws. If he throws the ball to the DBs, which he likely will, they MUST catch it.
2. Don't overpursue on the edge and give Allen running lanes. When Allen runs with the ball, make him pay (legally).
3. Match Marcus Jones up with Diggs. Tough assignment for the rookie but he is their only DB who can come close to matching Diggs' quickness and change of direction explosiveness.
4. Dugger (and at times Phillips) have to hold Knox in check, especially in the red zone.
6. Dear Lord, please give Jon Jones enough health to be active and not too limited by his chest/shoulder injurt. Let him match up with McKenzie in the slot. I cannot take another McKenzie versus Bryant matchup.
7. Go after the ball on every run play or yac opportunities for their receivers. If the Pats have any chance, they need to force a turnover (or, more likely, 2+) to give the offense short fields.
8. I was going to have Mills covering Davis, but now I have no idea who is going to be given that assignment. Maybe Davis will pull a hammy early in the game.
9. Make Buffalo punt at least twice.

OFFENSE:
1. Get Harris more involved. Mondre has looked a bit gassed recently, not surprisingly. Need to be able to run the ball and extend some drives, eat up clock. Harris should be motivated to go beast mode, going into his free agency off-season. He has been injured so often this year than it is easy to forget how good he was last year when healthy.
2. Exploit the fact that the Bills do not currently have a starting caliber free safety.
3. BE AGGRESSIVE in the passing game. The Bills cannot be beaten with a conservative game-plan. Give Bourne more snaps. Let him try to make impactful plays, like he did all of last year. He is not afraid of big moments and big games and that attitude and confidence seem to be in short supply on offense. Keep taking shots down the field with Thornton. The Bills have nobody that can mmatch his speed. Tyquan, when Mac hits you in the hands on a deep ball, for the love of God catch it. Give Parker a couple of opportunities to make a big play on some 50/50 balls. The Bills top CBs are all under 6 ft tall. If Mac is going to throw pick being aggressive, make sure that it is deep into the Bills territory, preferably on third down (that probably will be better option than a Palardy punt anyway….Jesus does that guy suck).
4. Be aware of Poyer at all times, just like they were with Ed Reed in the past.
5. Don't go Brandon Staley Full R*tard Mode but be aggressive on 4th downs in Bills territory. FGs aren't going to be good enough against the Bills.
6. If you have a chance to put up points right before the half, let Mac sling it.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
1. Need a game changing punt or kickoff return from Marcus, while preventing the Bills from doing the same.
2. Folk needs to stop missing extra points.
3. Stop running into the damn punter and giving the opponent’s drive new life.
4. Stop having brain farts on punt protection. In 90% of games in which a punt is blocked, the team that makes the block wins the game.

Last edited:

Well said.

KingpinSequelintheworksfromFarrellyBrothersandVillageRoadshow.JPG

We have a decent chance of winning this game given the stuff the Bills had to deal with.
Respectfully disagree….Bills, fans and league will feed off the incredible energy of Hamlin’s serious injury and return to stabilized health thus far!!!!…Huge momentum for the Bills because of this and they have owned us since game late last season……I don’t see this game being close

Well said

Respectfully disagree….Bills, fans and league will feed off the incredible energy of Hamlin’s serious injury and return to stabilized health thus far!!!!…Huge momentum for the Bills because of this and they have owned us since game late last season……I don’t see this game being close
Agree that it is possible and even likely. I still think we have a better chance now as they may just be emotionally exhausted and probably physically as I doubt they got much sleep this week.

if Patricia and Bill the Coach come Into this game with an "establish the run, shorten the game, be conservative on offense, BTFU on defense, win on special teams" type game plan, they will lose and lose badly. that type of gameplan demands near perfect execution on both sides of the ball. this team, it's coaching, and it's players are far from perfection.
For once let Mac throw early like in Minnesota. Take some chances on defense. let your athletes make plays. Take some shots early. Go for it on 4th down early. Take control of what you can do. punting on 4th and 2 from midfield in the first quarter is a losers mentality. if Bill is he coach has an aggressive bone in his body left, tomorrow is when he needs it.... if we're going to do the patented conservative Belichick deep ball, in which he max protects and sends two guys deep and is hoping for a coverage breakdown, which usually doesn't happen and ends up with one guy getting doubled and another guy getting tripled. please do not do this play. it's begging for an interception.

Last edited:
The bills can not get the bye now I wonder if that changes what players play the most tomorrow.

The bills can not get the bye now I wonder if that changes what players play the most tomorrow.
They don't want to lose the number 2 seed and they know the Patriots have to win to make the playoffs. I think they play everyone

They don't want to lose the number 2 seed and they know the Patriots have to win to make the playoffs. I think they play everyone
And a Bills win makes sure that an AFCCG with the Chiefs will be on a neutral field.

That is worth playing for.

Dobbs still the weirdest looking dude in the NFL.

Crap wrong thread...

Anyway, we can beat the Bills lets GO!

The 2 vs. 3 seed most likely will be the difference between playing the divisional round at home or at Cincy. That should be motivation enough. One caveat…If they lose two or three significant players to injury in the first quarter/half, McDermott may be tempted to pull his key starters.

Hmm.... I wonder how much WADE will play since they didn't promote Mosely.

There will be a LOT of pressure on Marcus Jones, Jon Jones and Tae Hayes for the game.
Whomever is covering Gabe Davis needs to shut him down as much as whomever is on Diggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes